Life Happens

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Life Happens

Post by WalkingWolf »

There was a time back a few years ago I was burning something awful for HD forum -- read till my eyes bled, built more stuff that I'll never use and spent entirely too much money. As I progressed in the hobby, good liquor came along and there was a period of stability where the wife and I would enjoy a cocktail nearly every evening and I'd spend a few hours helping new folks along. I found all the exotic still builds interesting and entertained thoughts of building but always ended up back at my potstill running what the wife and I enjoyed. My kids got into HS and I found my time here on HD limited. Missed all the connections but felt my kids needed their daddy more. Well, we still have some in school and we are still chasing the four winds and only drop in to HD periodically. Lots of new faces and a few familiar.

Keep it going guys and please pay it forward -- :thumbup:

I didn't want to post any health-related info before I had a better idea of what I was facing. I was diagnosed with cancer back in the fall '14. Had it removed but it was identified as aggressive. Well, last week we ran a scan and it's back in the lymph nodes. Had test done today to "map-out" where radiation will be administered.

I've seen so many folks drift away never to be heard from again -- reading back through old posts I realized HD meant too much to me to just fade off into the darkness. Our time here was a hoot and we had a great group of regulars. YouR evening is what you make of it. Enjoy it guys, it'll be different in a year and even more in three. We're not here to limit the changes but to be sure this info is available for the next generation of folks coming along with the goal of producing great hooch at home. Take care.
Last edited by WalkingWolf on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Life Happens

Post by Bigbob »

One more on my prayer list WalkingWolf, take care and stay positive.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I am blessed to be here with you WalkingWolf.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

I will also be praying for you and yourn ..Please take care and relax.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Prayers your way, stay positive!
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I agree with all above. And remember everyday you stand up is a good day.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Oh I don't think you'll ever "fade away". You were already a legend around here when I joined up and your work here continues to inspire. Sending prayers and good vibes your way.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Stand tall Wolf, You have always done right on HD and I'm sure in your real life. Wishing you the best and KEEP FIGHTING!!!
We all pray for you.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Stay strong brother, praying for you and family.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I know how it goes when you got kids WalkingWolf. I only have one. When he was in second grade the school harassed us until we agreed to put him in special ed. That year my wife and I did a lot of research. Found out that once in they almost never get out and almost never go on to college. My wife told me I had to do something. Said I couldn't spend anymore time in the shed. I gave up this hobby for ten years. That day was the last day my son went to that school. We pulled him out and we both home schooled him the rest of that year and third grade the next year. Now he's 24 years old and 1 semester away from a master's degree and practicing up for the LSAT, law entrance exam.

I don't know what it is like to walk in your shoes. I will keep you in my prayers. Take the time you have to be with your family, it sounds to me you already know that. I hope things begin to look up for you, and when they do we'll be here.
I'm goin the distance...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I think of many members as an extended family here on HD, thus this news hurts. You are definitely one of the good guys! My memories go back when you emailed me about a 4" SS pipe you had extra and it was exactly what I was looking for, your positive guidance during my build, both of us wanting to know more about absinthe and joining the Worm Wood Society at about the same time. The PM's we shared in 2010-2011. Your presence is missed but your health and family always come above all else. Take care my friend!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Wolf, I've only just seen your most recent posts, but they were a joy to read. Stay positive and strong and kick this thing! Keeping you in our prayers. God Bless.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

best wishes WalkingWolf
be water my friend
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Good to hear from you, Wolf. All good juju on you.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Lazarus Long
Swill Maker

Post by Lazarus Long »

Wolf,
It's such a blow to be reading posts and ...bam...you read news like this. You've been here and done it all Wolf, it's no doubt this place means so much to you-and you to us. Now that you have broke the news I hope you keep us posted, all our prayers are with you and your family.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Thoughts, prayers and peace to you sir... let us know if we can be of assistance

FS
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Dern . Its not how you die but how you live that defines your life.
it is good you got youngins.
May lord be merciful in his will
God bless
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I didn't know you very well here on the forums, so I clicked on your profile and browsed through some of your posts. What I found was a stand up kind of man that I would enjoy sitting down with for a friendly conversation and a sip of good likker. I wish the best for you and yours. My prayers go out to you and your family.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

been a hell of a ride wolf. Your presence here what helped make it a good one.best of luck to you and yours.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Give it hell Wolfie.
My prayers are with you and your family.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

WalkingWolf wrote:I've seen so many folks drift away never to be heard from again -- reading back through old posts I realized HD meant too much to me to just fade off into the darkness. Our time here was a hoot and we had a great group of regulars. YouR evening is what you make of it. Enjoy it guys, it'll be different in a year and even more in three. We're not here to limit the changes but to be sure this info is available for the next generation of folks coming along with the goal of producing great hooch at home.
Very sorry to hear that news, WalkingWolf, that is a tough blow. I have a friend that got a very bleak cancer diagnosis and he went into attack mode, changed his diet, lifestyle, did the chemo/radiation, everything he could. He has an incredible attitude, and though it's been pretty difficult, he has earned 4 years since his original prognosis. I wish you good luck and great strength.

I'm a new guy here, but I have often run across many of your contributions to threads while researching on the forum. You are a part of the fabric that makes up this incredible site, a true gift to us new guys just starting out. Your contributions will never fade off into darkness here,they will continue to help us noobs along the way for as long as this forum exists. You and so many other old timers have paid it forward for years, and I just wanted to thank you.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

WalkingWolf, always enjoyed our time here. You keep your chin up. I wish you the best, buddy. Please stay in touch, drop in when you can.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

Wolf, Thank you my friend for the many contributions you made here
and to me personally. Your a good man.

Please take care of yourself and know that you are in my prayers

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Hang in there, WalkingWolf, and fight the good fight... The time you have spent here, and your contributions, have definitely helped our cause...

My recent health issues have also caused me to re-evaluate life as a whole and reconsider what is most important... The SOH and I just had a brief conversation on the subject this morning, ironic as it may sound... She was filled with those "what if" notions due to the extreme back problems I've experienced over this past week, like suddenly wanting to know how to open the safe and other such previously seemingly trivial issues... And, at the same time, I was stricken with thoughts that maybe this is just an indicator of something else going on...

To all, don't ever let any one hobby or other distraction blur the reality that we are only given so much time and it is up to us to make the most of it... We can go from the peak of health to otherwise in the blink of an eye so don't think you can keep putting things off until tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year...

WalkingWolf, thank you for sharing... We're here rooting for you...
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Those where the days WW,you have been missed by more then a few,yes the forum has changed some for the good,and not so good but there is nothing as consistent as change,i for one was happy to see ya back posting anything,hope you do well in your situation,and can look back and say another hill conquered with a smile on your face,nothing is greater then family weather it be blood,or friendship!

Waiting the day to hear of a good outcome, peace be with you and your family WW,god speed
It is what you make it
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Very sorry to hear it. Hope to hear good news, we're pulling for you.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Wolf, keep fightin the good fight!! Got the big "C" myself. It's always in the back of my mind but I try to keep it out of the front of my mind by staying active. Just keep living your life to the fullest, as rad said, it could all change in the blink of an eye (sometimes even for the good so keep your fingers crossed).
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

All our best to you. They're pretty amazing with what can be cured now days.
My son did the diet, herbs, meditation and exercise (when he could) during chemo and radiation for lymphoma and he's 2 years in remission.
My MIL didn't do shit except quit smoking for breast cancer and they fixed her up too.
Good luck with it.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
shaner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shaner »

I wish you all the best, Wolf. You have given so much good advice and helped us become safer and better at what we do. Just keep a good mind set and keep fighting.

I live in the NOLA area and that ain't too far. Give me a shout if you need anything.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

WW, you've got an army of friends here wishing you well and sending thoughts and prayers.

A humble suggestion is to start consuming a huge antioxidant diet. Juicing makes it easy to get more in, lots of kale, carrots, fruit and other veggies. Kale especially.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion