Other Brands for All Bran?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

grgrlee
Novice

Other Brands for All Bran?

Post by grgrlee »

I've been using Kellog's all bran for Rad's recipe. But it is expensive. Where I live, over 5 dollars a box. I want to use a cheaper brand, but I've read posts by members swearing by Kellog's and saying it has the best taste. Anyone ever use an alternative, cheaper brand that still gives as good of a flavor as Kellog's?
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Other Brands for All Bran?

Post by DAD300 »

I use generic or bulk brands all the time...but never had a glass of each side by side and don't imagine a difference.

Imagine it to be less dif than a feed store oats against Quaker oats and saw no difference.

It's an easy test. You've been doing Kellogg's so do one with generic.

The let us know if you saw a dif.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
marquee_moon
Novice

Post by marquee_moon »

Same here - generic & happy with it, but never tried kellogs.
jackfiasco
Bootlegger

Post by jackfiasco »

I was wondering this today while at the grocery store. They didn't have a generic version of All Bran, only a generic Bran Flakes, which has whole grain wheat in addition to the other ingredients (wheat bran, sugar, malt flavoring). Would this make much of a difference? It was less than half the price of Kellogg's All Bran.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Actually If I remember correctly generic bran flakes is what rad uses so it must be good. I myself use store brand organic cereal but it is only $2.50 a box and I use 1 box per 5 gallons, which isn't very expensive for the outcome. My preference is wheat cereal but I use raisin bran too. They will all be a bit different and I say try different things and see what you like, you can always make more.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I have used just about any cereal. With my favorite being shredded wheat.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
jackfiasco
Bootlegger

Post by jackfiasco »

Awesome I will try some of the generic flake cereals then. I actually thought Raisin Bran would be great as the raisins certainly wouldn't hurt and it's super cheap. I am currently doing DWWG for all my mashes but once I finish some of them I will try the AB recipe and see how it compares. I'd love it if it was better as wheat germ is more expensive.
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

jedneck wrote:I have used just about any cereal. With my favorite being shredded wheat.
Awesome!

I'd wondered about shredded wheat, but I'll wonder no longer and get on it (well add it to my "to brew" list at least) :thumbup:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

I have always used either Millville (Aldi's house brand) or Meijer's house brand "bran and whole grain wheat flakes" with good success. 1/2 box (9 0z.) per 5 gal. wash. I also add one crushed multi vitamin tab. That's it for nutrients and it has always been plenty. Never felt the need for tomato paste or fertilizer for this wash.
Braz
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 on that vitamin tab Braz... I use a strong B vitamin tab, yeast loves B vitamin and i want to keep the small fellas happy. Almost every cereal will do. Favorite is cornflakes/oatmeal mix 50/50... really cheap.
Cav Scout
Novice

Post by Cav Scout »

jedneck wrote:I have used just about any cereal. With my favorite being shredded wheat.
Jedneck, have you ever tried the Cheerios Multigrain? Mamacita found two-packs of it at the 99 Cent store. I thought I'd try it for a neutral... Don't want to hijack the post but I just had to ask.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I believe that I did but it was a cupboard clean out to use old stale shit up. I had all kinds of stuff in that one. Do have a couple box's that I been eye in up though.
big help
Dunder
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I use Clover Valley Corn Flakes from Dollar General because they impart more malt flavor... Their site doesn't list them but they are on the shelf in my local stores...
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

+1 Jedneck. Frosted Mini Wheats from Costco is my go to.

Recently had a good smooth batch with Cheerios and have found that any generic puffed rice "Rice Crispies" style cereal makes a fine neutral. Most cereals are loaded with vitamins for the kiddies so the yeasties love them too. If your generic brand is lacking, crush up a couple vitamins or toss in a dash of DAP.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Only one I didn't like was chocolate shredded wheat. Had a nasty artificial card boardy chocolate taste. Made it drinkable with three flute runs and a bunch of oak.
big help
Dunder
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I also use the Aldi bran flakes and buy my sugar there too.