Hello from New York

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

YankeeShiner
Novice

Hello from New York

Post by YankeeShiner »

Hello. I'm totally new to this but have read and dreamed about distilling for years but never acted on it. I finally bought my still a few weeks ago and a have two buckets fermenting right now. I've been all over the web and there's enough information out there to make someone's head spin. A lot of the searches I did pointed me to this site. So, here I am. Looking forward to getting some great advice and making some friends.

About me: Yes, I'm a New Yorker but not "typical." Born and raised in The Bronx. But, I've lived upstate in the sticks now for about 20 years. I hunt, fish, own fire arms the government wants to ban and I'm a low/moderate-level prepper. I drag race cars, play Bass guitar and I'm a Sensei. I want to add distiller to that list of hobbies and interests... I also enjoy whiskey!

I have a 10 gallon copper still with an onion top and a detachable condenser. Nothing fancy, just getting started. Its an awesome looking still though. Can't wait to see what it can do! I also have (2) 7.9 gal fermenting buckets with accessories.
Last edited by YankeeShiner on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thecroweater
retired

Re: Hello from New York

Post by thecroweater »

welcome here YS :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

Aloha YankeeS.

As you may guess from my screen name I was from N.Y. once and am a proud graduate of Brooklyn Tech which as to be the BEST high school in the nation. LOL :D

I'm way west of you now.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Welcome YankeeShiner, make sure to do the proper cleaning and sacrificial run before running any product. I have the same style still only smaller, it makes a pretty good drop. Enjoy the forums :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Welcome aboard. Seems to be quite a few of us from upstate.
darkseige
Novice

Post by darkseige »

Welcome aboard Yankee. I as well am just starting out. As well as grew up Upstate by the big lake, and then lived a few years in the foothills. There is a lot of information to be found on this site. Have fun with it, and feel free to share your experiences.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Yet another New Yorker who isn't from "the city"... Seems like whenever you mention NY folks always assume you mean NYC - the cancer hanging off an otherwise great state...
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

Welcome YS. You will love your new hobby.

I'm Upstate too, born and bred. It's a challenging place to live politically, but some of it's good for the liqour business. The craft distilleries and brewers are doing well thanks to a lot of restrictions being lifted, and the State has made it legal for them to sell product directly if they buy 90% of their raw materials in NY. Malt growers are expanding, and we have a cooper going into business nearby. The hops industry is poised for a major comeback. All good.

Now if we could just get a home exemption on our hobby.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

rad14701 wrote:Yet another New Yorker who isn't from "the city"... Seems like whenever you mention NY folks always assume you mean NYC - the cancer hanging off an otherwise great state...
Rad you said a mouthful. Living upstate it is hard to imagine that most outsiders think NY is only the city when we have the
largest state park in the country and the most scenic if you ask me. I will not comment on NY politics LOL
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ben stiller wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Yet another New Yorker who isn't from "the city"... Seems like whenever you mention NY folks always assume you mean NYC - the cancer hanging off an otherwise great state...
Rad you said a mouthful. Living upstate it is hard to imagine that most outsiders think NY is only the city when we have the
largest state park in the country and the most scenic if you ask me. I will not comment on NY politics LOL
The majority of the US only thinks about NYC, not upstate... Trust me, I've had to correct enough people over the years, telling them I live as far from that hell-hole as you can get and still be in the state... But I digress...
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Welcome, from a once and perhaps future New Yorker.
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

It's Manhattan that most people think of when they think of N.Y.C. I grew up in Brooklyn and the "city" ALWAYS going to Manhattan.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

BrooklynTech wrote:
It's Manhattan that most people think of when they think of N.Y.C. I grew up in Brooklyn and the "city" ALWAYS going to Manhattan.
I spent part of my childhood living in Manhattan. Late 70's early 80's. I first set foot in Brooklyn two summers ago!
Twinrivers
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Twinrivers »

Welcome aboard, plenty of good reading here. Good luck and be carefull
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

Dan P. wrote:
BrooklynTech wrote:
I spent part of my childhood living in Manhattan. Late 70's early 80's. I first set foot in Brooklyn two summers ago!
And Dan I assume you still have both feet and they work. LOL I haven't been back to Brooklyn since 1962
Warrior Chief
Novice

Post by Warrior Chief »

I'm also from NYS - east of Binghamton. Look forward to hearing your stories of success.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Greetings from a New Englander. In the global social eye, even here most see wall street, and only country setting is central park. I spent 2 yrs in Plattsburg NY. Probley know why there, but had the greatest walleye and northern pike fishing of my life. Also had some of the nasty local beer Utica I think Then I found Genesee Cream Ale was good but I was 20 yr old what did I know. Good luck on the new adventure. Gets good with a bit of practice :thumbup:

AC
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Welcome, from a fellow New Yorker (at least at heart) spent my first 40 years in WNY, as far away from NYC as you can get! I feel RAD's pain when telling someone I'm from NY, only having to clarify NOT the city!
harry00246
Novice

Post by harry00246 »

Hey guys just wanted to chime in and say "Hey". They're more people here from upstate than I would have figured, myself included. I'm just outside the Ithaca area. And I too agree and feel the pain of having people think your from the city. Lol there's enough of us to start a support group.
Mama says alcohol is your enemy... Jesus says love your enemy
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Hey, any of you upstate New Yorkers ever visit the Finger Lakes Distilling?

It looks real nice and I've heard it was decent.
Warrior Chief
Novice

Post by Warrior Chief »

Finger Lakes Distilling. Might be a good day trip.
harry00246
Novice

Post by harry00246 »

Never been to Finger lakes Distilling but would like to take a trip to check it out. I've been to alot of the various wineries around the finger lakes (wife loves wine tours) and have yet to be disappointed. King ferry was probably my favorite. The fingerlakes region has a reputation of producing some of the best wine and spirits in the country.
Mama says alcohol is your enemy... Jesus says love your enemy
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from New York

Post by Kegg_jam »

I take the family camping in the Seneca lake area once a year.

The wife likes the wine tours. Have driven by the distillery a bunch of times but it's never made it on the list of places to stop. Maybe this year...
YankeeShiner
Novice

Post by YankeeShiner »

This is my favorite NY distillery:

http://www.catskilldistillingcompany.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Welcome fellow NY'er......
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
copperlover1
Swill Maker

Post by copperlover1 »

YS welcome aboard . So much great information here you won't be disappointed . Take your time be safe and have fun. How close are you to Catskills distillery
YankeeShiner
Novice

Post by YankeeShiner »

copperlover1 wrote:YS welcome aboard . So much great information here you won't be disappointed . Take your time be safe and have fun. How close are you to Catskills distillery
Thank you. Yes, I've found some amazing stuff on this site.

I'm about two hours South of the distillery. But, its worth the trip. I was taken there last year for my birthday. I heard I had a great time!