Question for the seasoned novice

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boxcutter
Bootlegger

Question for the seasoned novice

Post by Boxcutter »

How do yall store yall colums and condensers when not using after cleaning them ? Do yall stuff cork in the ends to keep unwanted things out ? Is a rag good enough ? Fixing to do a couple cleaning run today and looking for ideas to keep it all clean on the inside after till my first sac run next weekend. I couldn't find anything when I search it
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Question for the seasoned novice

Post by The KYChemist »

I keep my keg stored upside down, with a piece of loose paper towel stuffed in the neck. My reflux coil, I keep wrapped in a couple of paper towels. My detachable Boka head, I just leave it out loose since it is super easy to just rinse out before a run. I do use a small 4" fan to dry it out really well, after rinsing it. My column, I set it on a clean towel and move it around to dry spots at least once a day, and cover the top with a piece of paper towel and a rubber band. All parts, I just rinse with water, after a run. Never had a problem with mildew, or anything else. Hope this helps.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

I rinse mine out and lay it right back on the copper pile, looks like plumbing supplies. Condensor is wraped up and locked in a drawer in my tool box.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Boxcutter
Bootlegger

Post by Boxcutter »

Thanks guys ! The mildew never crossed my mind. I was thinking about getting some cork and plugging the ends off but if it's not completely dry mildew will form. Just trying to come up with something to keep the inner works clean while storing in between runs.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I pull my column off directly after the run while it is still warm and wipe it dry. The residual heat will evaporate any moisture, then when it is cool I wipe it with a rag that has been moistened with foreshots, this will eliminate any possible moisture in the column.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

When running consecutive washes, I just remove the entire column and put it in my closet. The boiler sits wherever I find space for it.

I'm under a informed impression that copper makes for an inhospitable enviorment for bacteria and fungi.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I rinse and throw it all back in the garage. It's a capped column and I live in a very dry environment so I remove the cap for a few days to let it dry out standing up on the boiler.

I'd just stuff a rag in the column so it can breath but like bearriver I believe copper doesn't promote growth of anything biological. I've killed willow stumps by pounding a copper stake in them.

tp
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I put a 2x4 on the opening to my keg boiler. The rest I give a good shake and stash it out of sight. Sometimes I rinse it. I don't run packed columns currently. If I did I'd have a lot more to say about this. Pretty much all the stuff I use now is just hollow tubes.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I just "run a coat hanger" up the pipes and hang it from the floor joists in my furnace room. No mildew in there.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

I don't let mine sit very long. Leave it on the boiler after runninv it and rinsing it out.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

I just tip a glass of water it the top of my boka While it's still warm. Column sits on a folded up towel leaning against my bench and the keg sits next to it.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Stuff a paper towel in the ends and hang them up.
And since my shop isn't heated, I make damn sure the condensers have been drained of water. :oops:
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I leave mine assembled and hanging from the rafter for the next run but I do pull my condenser out and stuff a rag in the top. I stuff a piece of cloth in all the other openings. Don't want bugs or critters getting in. In these parts the past few years Stink Bugs have been a major pain in the ass. They get into everything and don't think they would do much to flavor your liquor. :sick:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I have a pot still with worm. I just flush it well with hot water after, leave my pot semi-inverted to let it all drain but still allow air flow to get it dry. Same with my cap. My worm I flush with hot water, then blow some air through and don't plug it. I check it before each run by blowing in it to make sure nothing crawled I'm and clogged.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

One thing I would warn against... Using compressed air, from an air compressor, to dry out internal parts of your still. My fears may be unfounded, but I will express them anyways. The main reason being the oil used to lubricate the piston and internals, which compresses the air. I would bet that this ends up finding its way into the compressed air. The amount may be miniscule, but I wouldn't want a single bit of it in my equipment I worked so hard to build and put cleaning runs through. Just my $0.02...
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I. Learned that one should tape the ends of a packed column if living in earwig territory....eewwwww
hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hawgwrench »

Prolly not a bad Idea to seal it off someway or another. I ended up with a batch that was accidentally flavored with a granddaddy longlegs. Damn thang dint come out in one piece either.....
Patience....the early bird get's the worm, but the second rat get's the cheese.
aquavita
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by aquavita »

Prolly not a bad Idea to seal it off someway or another. I ended up with a batch that was accidentally flavored with a granddaddy longlegs. Damn thang dint come out in one piece either.....
Hawg - little protein never hurt anyone... :D

My components have been in storage for so long that I am going to do the full vinegar and sac runs to clean it out. Better safe than sorry.