Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by warp1 »

FS....you used an entire pound of those candies? That seems like a lot. I thought it was a typo so just added 18 of the discs....will obviously be much less flavor than yours. The good part....If I don't like it, add the rest and nuke it again :)

Read this at work and couldn't wait to get home and try it :)
FullySilenced wrote:Made more Butterscotch Vodka today... man is it good.. used a little less candy in today batch... but less vodka as well.. Here is how i made this one...

Holiday Treats or Gifts

ButterShot Nukins or ButterScotch Vodka Nukins what ever you wanna call it.. its dang good...

750ml of 40 to 45 abv Neutral or clean vodka (i used 40)

16 oz of Butterscotch candy discs

Remove all the butterscotch candy from the packages and put them in a good quart jar...

Fill the jar up with neutral should take about 650ml

Nuke the candy and vodka open topped for 3 minutes or so ... should be really hot but not boiling...

Screw on the lid... and shake it occasionally till the candy is melted.... (in suspension)

Let cool and drink as a shot or put it on the rocks for a smooth butterscotch sip.

Have fun and this is about the least work you will ever have to make a gift for someone special...

Happy Stillin

FS

(The left over 100ml of vodka/neutral can be added after you sip a little out of the jar or used for other things) i put mine 100ml in a second jar and diluted the original jar to make more quantity of the buttershots... :mrgreen:

and keep on nukin :ebiggrin:
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

yep a pound and its actually amazing but adjust it to your tastes as always....
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

the post (way) above didn't make sense to me and forgot that it was covered earlier in the discussion...i and then never noticed i was on pg 1 not 24....hadn't read this thread in months and thought it had been brought up again...didn't realize i was the fool...

i'll quit making excuses for being an idiot now.

oops :oops:
:shh:

sry fer wasting bandwidth.
Last edited by HDNB on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

:think: Your kidding I hope... Not bringing up a fire issue here again :shock: ... I thought we were way past that discussion at this point... :esad:

No fires anywhere, by anyone, making nuked product... or at least none reported in the 1000's of posts regarding Nuclear Ageing on the 8 plus forums that I have posted the subject on...

Happy Stilling and KEEP ON NUKIN !!!

FS
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Damn....that's a lot....18 wasn't nearly enough so added 18 more. Will throw in the rest of the bag tonight. Not trying to adjust the recipe....just follow it...sounds delicious :)
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

@Warp1 just throw em in you can always dilute... if the need arises...

FS
a7x
Novice

Post by a7x »

Trying this when I get home from work tonight. Sounds like it's become pretty popular. Cheers to this thread!
"whenever I see hitchhikers, I just pretend they're telling me that I'm doing a great job driving."

"If the ocean was whisky and I was a duck. I'd dive to the bottom and never come up!"
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I am re-named the butterscotch vodka ... "ButterShine" i found that when it's mixed with half and half on the rocks IT is exceptional...

give it a try... let me know what you think...

Happy Nukin

FS
Snuffy-ga

Post by Snuffy-ga »

I bet you could do the same thing with cinnamon candies. Probably be pretty tasty too!
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Peppermint, butterscotch, cinnamon, all work along with skittles and jolly ranchers..

Have fun
FS
Fidget
Novice

Post by Fidget »

Once cooled and under vacuum , is there benefit for leaving that way for a while, or benefit from re pressurising and then leaving a while before next nuke? What points are good to linger on so to speak?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Don't know if it makes any difference once it's cooled when you release the vacuum the wood will pull some product back in its pores an push it back out for you in the next heat and vacuum cycle...

What are you making or trying to do?

FS
Fidget
Novice

Post by Fidget »

FullySilenced wrote:Don't know if it makes any difference once it's cooled when you release the vacuum the wood will pull some product back in its pores an push it back out for you in the next heat and vacuum cycle...

What are you making or trying to do?

FS

Adding char toasted cherry heartwood sugars and flavours into some AG whiskey.

So, that means to finalise the last nuke cycle, you'd end on a heating...without then placing a lid on, to avoid any further sucking back into wood, right? So that 'push out' was the last thing ....
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Not enough to worry about but the vacuum pulls the liquid out of the wood... the micro wave drives it out of the wood as well... It not really ever been a concern for me regarding leaving it on vacuum or not...

Now if you have some heads in your product .. heating it up/nuking will drive those out if you leave the lid off ...

FS
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Just tried this.
3 cycles on 300ml that was already aged 3 weeks with a teaspoon of medium oak.
I know one teaspoon is much less than advised, but that's what I have heard is recommended for short aging times for 500 ml.

I can't say that the colour changed at all over the first two cycles, can't comment on the third as i did it just before heading to work so I'll know when I get home but looked unchanged coming out of the microwave.

Now, I cant say what temp it cam out of the microwave at, I ran it for about a min, if it felt coolish i put it back in again until for an other zap.
When i took it out to cap it it was warm to the touch, you could handle it no problem, my condenser water is much hotter, but you wouldn't want to hold it for too long.
I got a vacuum seal each time so I reckon that's proof that it was hot enough?

Other that not enough oak, can you spot a flaw?
Could it be that most of the oak is "spent" already?

cheers
Don't be a dick
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

One teaspoon is not enough... you can increase it till you find something that you like....

FS
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Personally I use a mixture of cherry wood chips for the BBQ, some toasted 375° for an hour and a half , some toaisted@200° for an hour, some raw, all equal parts mixed together in a pan then charred on one side with a torch till the entire surface of wood in the pan catches on fire.douse with water shake strain and use a shot glass packed full per pint. 7cycles hot and cold(fridge)in 7days.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

I'm on third and more cycles on some barrels, so the whiskey gets nuked with 20 grams of re-charred JD chips (per quart) 3 times to 150 degF (66degC) and back to room temperature, then sits on the chips for a month or so, then into the barrel. Mrs Heartcut ages wine in the barrels between spirits and that keeps us both happy. Pleases some friends and family, too.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
dl76
Novice

Post by dl76 »

Why not just use a crockpot . Ive been using one with 2 quarts and jd chips. Works great. Turn on at night and turn off during day.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

dl76 wrote:Why not just use a crockpot . Ive been using one with 2 quarts and jd chips. Works great. Turn on at night and turn off during day.
:wtf: I'd like to hear that process explained a little more .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

There hasn't been a whole lot of talk about aging white dawg in the microwave. I've read on another forum this is good for removing heads, what you all think about nuking it white?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Antler24 wrote:There hasn't been a whole lot of talk about aging white dawg in the microwave. I've read on another forum this is good for removing heads, what you all think about nuking it white?
Crock pots are not a good way to remove foreshots and heads if you are allowing the alcohol vapor to escape into a room... Don't give partial information that could be misconstrued by novices... Nuking methods are described in depth here and part of that is to never let the spirits reach the point of vapor escape... When nuking you should not allow the spirit temperature to exceed ~150F... Crock pots heat to over 165F on low as I recall...
dl76
Novice

Post by dl76 »

Truckinbutch wrote:
dl76 wrote:Why not just use a crockpot . Ive been using one with 2 quarts and jd chips. Works great. Turn on at night and turn off during day.
:wtf: I'd like to hear that process explained a little more .

Fill crockpot (slow cooker) with water and set jars inside of it. Turn on low or high and leave over night , turn off in morning.
Attachments
rsz_120150325_084717.jpg
slow cooker
slow cooker
dl76
Novice

Post by dl76 »

rad14701 wrote:
Antler24 wrote:There hasn't been a whole lot of talk about aging white dawg in the microwave. I've read on another forum this is good for removing heads, what you all think about nuking it white?
Crock pots are not a good way to remove foreshots and heads if you are allowing the alcohol vapor to escape into a room... Don't give partial information that could be misconstrued by novices... Nuking methods are described in depth here and part of that is to never let the spirits reach the point of vapor escape... When nuking you should not allow the spirit temperature to exceed ~150F... Crock pots heat to over 165F on low as I recall...

i use mine for ageing, also my small crockpot on low with lid off gets to 115 to 120 with keeping lid off and average temp in my home on 68. :egeek:
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

rad14701 wrote:
I didn't mention anything about a crockpot.

All I said was I read on another forum microwaving your white dog can help remove heads left in it. I didn't say it was safe or recommended that's why I mentioned it I wanted other peoples opinions on aging white spirits. Are we not allowed to post something unless it's 100% true?

If I broke a rule with my post please point me to that rule. If I'm not allowed to quote something from another forum with it being gospel I'd like to see that text as we'll please.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Antler,
Don't get so defensive.

Rad wasn't addressing your question directly He was addressing this one (2 posts before yours):
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7303266

Rad is concerned with discussions prompting dangerous practices. Rightfully so too. I agree with his perspective, as we all must. If the site promotes unsafe methods, we will become scrutinized by regulatory oversight. Not good for our hobby. So, we have to self-regulate. Safety first.

Dealing with the alcohol vapors when combined with ambient air (oxygen) should always be treated with respect.

I hope this rebuttal makes sense to you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

still_stirrin wrote:Antler,
Don't get so defensive.

Rad wasn't addressing your question directly He was addressing this one (2 posts before yours):
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7303266

Rad is concerned with discussions prompting dangerous practices. Rightfully so too. I agree with his perspective, as we all must. If the site promotes unsafe methods, we will become scrutinized by regulatory oversight. Not good for our hobby. So, we have to self-regulate. Safety first.

Dealing with the alcohol vapors when combined with ambient air (oxygen) should always be treated with respect.

I hope this rebuttal makes sense to you.
ss
It does, and I agree 100%. I don't mean heating to the point of driving off heads. I'm talkin same process as in this thread just white dog
Swedish Pride wrote:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I nuke a quart or two of white dog from time to time . Smooths it out a bit and gives me a basic idea of what I have to work with . Also keeps me in some of my own hooch while I am recovering from that daughter shutting me down last year .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Actually a lot of people nuke the white dog as some of the fore and heads come off as low at 145F so it does take some of the bite out if it was ever there.... have read this on multiple forums...

FS