Fermentation time?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

beefbandit
Novice

Fermentation time?

Post by beefbandit »

Hey all.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has done any experimenting with the time it takes a certain amount of sugar to ferment out with different amounts of water?

IE 10kg sugar in 40L of water VS 10kg of sugar in 60L of water?

Im thinking that the yeast still has to convert the same amount of sugar to alcohol, so the time would stay the same. But thought i wonder if anyone has put this to test????? :wink:
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Fermentation time?

Post by Bohunk »

BeefBoy, there are so many variables that it would be near impossible to calculate the ferment time. Things like temp, nutrients, PH, endless list of variables.

The Ole Bohunk
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

You're asking about how %ABV yield affects fermentation time, and that question does have a simple answer. Lower %ABV = faster ferment. That's the main thing. After 10% or so, they start getting stressed out - so don't aim too high. If you give them a good environment, they'll work hard and fast. pH, nutrient levels, temperature, and many other things are important beside this - but alcohol potential is one of the 'main' things. Even if everything else is perfect, too much sugar and not enough water will not give you good results.

10kg sugar in 40L water = 15% alcohol potential. SG 1.096. This will cause the yeast to take longer, and it will cause them to be stressed throughout the ferment. The sugar causes too much osmotic pressure early on, and later, as it's converted, there is too much alcohol.

10kg sugar in 60L water = 10% alcohol potential. SG 1.064. This is perfect, you won't get any faster.

Here's a calc to mess around with - http://homedistiller.org/calcs/sugar_sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

To get the best alcohol possible in larger amounts, most here will only go bigger on their fermenter size, and never push the ABV. This way, you can get the highest quality alcohol in the shortest time possible.

More water means you can use more sugar - you just gotta be able to hold all that water :)
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

^^^ Well said!
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
beefbandit
Novice

Post by beefbandit »

Agreed well put Carbo (gold star). Thats eczactly what I was pondering about. I usually aim between 11 an 13%. Might have to drop her an see what difference it makes.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

I think the amount of yeast pitched would have more of an effect on the time to ferment. One teaspoon of yeast in, say, 50L of wash at 10% will probably take longer to ferment dry then say, one cup of yeast in the same wash.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Keep in mind, pitch rates affect more than fermentation speed. The amount of yeast you pitch makes a big difference in the final flavor and aroma profile of any distillate, even after cuts. This holds true even if you are using a fractionating still. Ester production is directly related to yeast growth as are most other flavor and aroma compounds. The amount of yeast you pitch should be driven by your goals. Are you making a neutral, a brandy, a whisky etc. I would hope time taken to complete would not factor prominent. The will be no shine before its time.

A low pitch rate can lead to:
Excess levels of diacetyl Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation Increase in ester formation Increase in volatile sulfur compounds High terminal gravities Stuck fermentations Increased risk of infection

High pitch rates can lead to:
Very low ester production Very fast fermentations A finished product that is thin or lacking in taste, good for neutrals not so good for whisky. Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells). Complete destruction of the world... Just checking to see if yer still awake.
I'm goin the distance...
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fermentation time?

Post by Kegg_jam »

Complete destruction of the world....

Yeast monster from the depths of fermentia...

Yep
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Yeast monster. Oh no. Hide the fermentables
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Yup, I hate when the destruction is complete.
I'm goin the distance...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd rather distill 20 gallons of 8% wash
Than to wait for 10 gallons of 16% wash to finish fermenting.