Baijiu....:P wtf...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DizzyDan
Novice

Baijiu....:P wtf...

Post by DizzyDan »

I was traveling recently and as part of a business dinner they brought out a bottle of this stuff and tiny shot glasses. I was pretty excited to try it and it was the first time I had anything other than watery chinese beer for a week.

The shot glasses were tiny, like a 1/3 of a regular shot. The first one tasted foul but I figured it'd get better after a few.

One of the guys at the table then proceeds to explain how in northern china, guests should never refuse their host and should eat/drink everything they're served - and that the host usually tries to get the guest very drunk. Trying to be polite, I drank 10-12 of these tiny shots. They filled the cups immediately after we drank and the next toast was moments away. Halfway in I was getting worried I would puke. I bowed out as graciously as possible and had a couple beers. I also had a headache the next morning....from 3 shots and 3 beers??

Seriously....this shit is nasty. It tastes rancid, chemically and strangely sweet. Anyone had this stuff??
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Baijiu....:P wtf...

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

no but anything served in small mesures is something to be wary of.
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

I was married to a northern Chinese family for ten years and immediately let them know that my stomach couldn't manage straight liquor--after my first taste of baijiu. They would visit China regularly and bring home the best. The best teas were fantastic, as were the pastries and strange candies. I could take anything, from chòu dòufu (stinky tofu, or more correctly disgusting tofu) to delicious durian (also very stinky). But baijiu was the worst.

M
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Maritimer wrote:I was married to a northern Chinese family for ten years and immediately let them know that my stomach couldn't manage straight liquor--after my first taste of baijiu. They would visit China regularly and bring home the best. The best teas were fantastic, as were the pastries and strange candies. I could take anything, from chòu dòufu (stinky tofu, or more correctly disgusting tofu) to delicious durian (also very stinky). But baijiu was the worst.

M
married to a whole family that must have been some wedding :moresarcasm:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

WooTeck wrote:
Maritimer wrote:I was married to a northern Chinese family for ten years and immediately let them know that my stomach couldn't manage straight liquor--after my first taste of baijiu. They would visit China regularly and bring home the best. The best teas were fantastic, as were the pastries and strange candies. I could take anything, from chòu dòufu (stinky tofu, or more correctly disgusting tofu) to delicious durian (also very stinky). But baijiu was the worst.

M
married to a whole family that must have been some wedding :moresarcasm:
I've heard that if you marry one you get her whole family, guess it's true.
Paulinka
Swill Maker

Post by Paulinka »

Traditionally baijiu's cuts are made much more liberally then what we feel safe. It sends your liver sporting.