What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Jimbo »

You guys got me thirsty to cut into some limes. At the moment Im drinking a half Bourbon Barrel IPA and half Breakfast Stout, black and tan style. Be damned if it doesnt make a damn fine BBL Porter better than either of its parents. MIght have to blend some kegs here.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I made a new recipe, 10# 2 row, 5# wheat malt, 5# corn malt, 3# golden promise, & 2# roasted barley. 2gal of backset & 10gal of water. If the distillate carries these flavors over, it'll be like sex in a bottle! S.G was 1.072 @ 60°
IMG_20150405_012112.jpg
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

Doing a smoked ham for Easter...
Attachments
ham.jpg
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

What time you want us over? :ebiggrin:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

Jimbo wrote:What time you want us over? :ebiggrin:
As long as your are bringing some of that fine bourbon..Anytine :thumbup:
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
FtW
Novice

Post by FtW »

CR33G3R wrote:Doing a smoked ham for Easter...
I also have a nice ham for tonight, but now I want a smoker... I should grab one for home smoked barley too!

Got a new 35 gallon igloo cooler for no boil mashing & an OBKrusher grain mill last week, milled & mashed up 35# corn with 10# rauch malt & 5# rye on Friday (with sebstar & sebamyl) for a 25 gallon batch & barely 36 hours later, pretty much done. My fastest ferment yet, brix from 13 to 5. I'll likely rack tomorrow & run.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

FtW wrote:
I also have a nice ham for tonight, but now I want a smoker... I should grab one for home smoked barley too!

Got a new 35 gallon igloo cooler for no boil mashing & an OBKrusher grain mill last week, milled & mashed up 35# corn with 10# rauch malt & 5# rye on Friday (with sebstar & sebamyl) for a 25 gallon batch & barely 36 hours later, pretty much done. My fastest ferment yet, brix from 13 to 5. I'll likely rack tomorrow & run.
let us know how the run goes, please.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Extra long weekend creates time for some distilling. Pulled off a little over 3 1/2 liters of Bourbon-- Sweetfeed version. Got it going on some charred OAK right away... I mixed it with about 1/2 liter of already charred
sweetfeed from a previous run. Looks good so far... now to sit back and wait.
Attachments
IMG_4255s.jpg
IMG_4255s.jpg (13.43 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Grape harvest today. These are Black Hamburg table grapes and I have never made a decent wine out of them, so I stopped trying a couple of decades ago and have been mostly making my version of grappa with them. I really should pay someone to graft decent wine/brandy grapes onto them. All my grafts have failed.

Today I trod and pressed the crop for some experimental products:
Sparkling wine from free run juice.
Jeropiga made with lightly pressed juice plus last year's grappa, 18% ABV.
Brandy fermented without without skins.
Grappa made with fresh pressed skins, water and sugar.

...plus we had fish in the smoker :D
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Another bourbon using 10lbs of cracked corn plus 3lbs 2-row and 2lbs rye. For some reason I ended up with more than 5 gallons of mash (closer to 6). Going to have to split into 2 fermenters. Hopefully I achieved the right SG. I'm waiting fir the mash to cool so I can take a reading.
I also stripped the previous 5 gallon mash I made back in March. I was a little preoccupied and ended up running this strip down to 10% ABV. Haha.
Those who stay...
FtW
Novice

Post by FtW »

firewater69 wrote:
FtW wrote:

let us know how the run goes, please.
Started stripping yesterday & burnt out my element with a dry fire. Replaced it & finished the strip, just finishing the spirit run now, it's into the tails.
Gonna let it breathe overnight before final cuts, but looks like it should give me a good 4 clean liters. I can sure smell the smoke from the rauch malt in a jar after its emptied & left for a few minutes.

Today going to try making my first rum, picked up some cane molasses & demarrera sugar. Thinking 5 or 6 liters of the molasses with 2 or 3 Kg of the sugar to try a 10 gallon batch, gotta check some of the recipes.
SS396
Novice

Post by SS396 »

Blackberry brandy. Tried posting a pic but it said file is to be under 2mb which it is. What aint I doin right?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

gotta be no bigger than 800 pixels in either direction. gotta resize it, 1998 style.
SS396
Novice

Post by SS396 »

How's this look :)
Attachments
20150408_192025-1-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Red. what is it?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Looks like my workbench.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Looks like my workbench.
LMFAO! I think it's a close up of his blackberry brandy
FtW
Novice

Post by FtW »

The tasting experience, looking through the bottom of the bottle?

My blackberry must has to be about as done as it's gonna get, Gonna see if I can run that this evening.
SS396
Novice

Post by SS396 »

My blackberry brandy....had to crop pic to fit on here. Just trying to show the nice amber color. Guessing I failed...lol.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

SS, here is a link to a site that is super easy to use. It will allow you to resize the entire photo without cropping, and also define a max file size.
Under "resize your picture" you can select "custom" to define pixels.
http://www.picresize.com/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Jimbos wheated bourbon using 66% undermalted corn and 33% malted white wheat and 1% luck.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

jedneck wrote:Jimbos wheated bourbon using 66% undermalted corn and 33% malted white wheat and 1% luck.
It's that 1% luck that makes it sweet and delicious. :D
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Yep they had a one day special on LUCK over on ebay yesterday. It was buy One Get One Free BOGO. w/free shipping.
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Jimbo wrote:
jedneck wrote:Jimbos wheated bourbon using 66% undermalted corn and 33% malted white wheat and 1% luck.
It's that 1% luck that makes it sweet and delicious. :D
Its a good thing I added that luck. My thermometer went up when my smoker set itself on fire to kill my wheat malt. Went for the spare and it was wonky.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

firewater69 wrote:I made a new recipe, 10# 2 row, 5# wheat malt, 5# corn malt, 3# golden promise, & 2# roasted barley. 2gal of backset & 10gal of water. If the distillate carries these flavors over, it'll be like sex in a bottle! S.G was 1.072 @ 60°
IMG_20150405_012112.jpg
I'm stripping the first half of this tonight, the beer has a nice nutty coffee smell, we'll see what comes outta the pipe.
Nutmegmooner
Swill Maker

Post by Nutmegmooner »

A new stripping Leibig!
Attachments
DSCN0768.jpg
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Corn-n-Wheat Whiskey
12lbs cracked corn
10lbs cracked Michigan red wheat
11 gallons of water and 2 liters of backset
No cook method using enzymes.

Cracking the wheat was an adventure. They wouldn't crack it at the grain elevator so I had to devise a way to do it at home. First I tried hammering it in a bag. :thumbdown: Then I tried the Cuisinart Food Processor. :thumbdown: That didn't do shite. Then I tried The Magic Bullet. That did alright but I could only do a half cup at a time. So I thought, "Hey, maybe I'll try those pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aide. They resemble a mill." That did less than shite. :thumbdown: Finally, I broke out my venison meat grinder. That did well enough - not great. It either made flour or didn't crack the grain at all. Oh well. It's all in the big ole mash bucket now.

I'm thinking about fermenting on the grain. I'll wait to see what the wort looks like after it cools down. I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of suspended particulate and a humongous grain bed (22lbs of grain).
Those who stay...
Paulinka
Swill Maker

Post by Paulinka »

Due51 wrote:I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of suspended particulate and a humongous grain bed (22lbs of grain).
Just stir it up daily as I do with my all-flours. A few percent of scolded whole wheat berries would give the grain layer a better texture, if fermented on grain it makes easier to stir.
My next batch will be 80% wheat-grist 20% wheat-malt (GA-enzyme too), with mash cooked like the many steps wheat-beer should (plus alpha) and fermented with M20 Hefeweizen yeast.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I just want to make sure I understand: you stir your ferment daily? Disturbing the grain bed?

I'm doing an open ferment on the grain.
Those who stay...
Paulinka
Swill Maker

Post by Paulinka »

Due51 wrote:I just want to make sure I understand: you stir your ferment daily? Disturbing the grain bed?
Absolutely, I stir around the grain bed with my pipe-heater. But because I have a shouldered fermentation barrel I am not disturbing the CO2-layer.