The BAB-C <Big Ass Boka cannon>

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

The BAB-C <Big Ass Boka cannon>

Post by yakattack »

A while ago i started my journey towards my first reflux column so that i could make my own vodka/nuteral likker.

a discussion evolved and i was uable to settle on a design This took me some time, and in the mean time i built my mshing rig and my ferment/storage box for the garage.

I have settled on a boka, The column starts at 2 inch and then opens up to a three inch column. for now it is not modular but that will change down the road to nclude a vm head.

the easy flange is formed without wire, th pipe is flared into a cup and filled with solder and then shaped to the flange seat. the pictures will give you all demsions and state of build.

I still have to figure out my takeoff and therm, solder in my plates and find packing. getting pure ss or copper mesh is proving almost impossible locally.

pictures will take me a few minutes to upload. so be patient.

yak <bigger is always better>
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The BAB-C <Big Ass Boka cannon>

Post by yakattack »

build begun
Attachments
20150423_130147.jpg
20150423_130101.jpg
20150423_123625.jpg
20150423_122058.jpg
20150423_111702.jpg
20150423_111635 (1).jpg
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
likkerlover
Novice

Post by likkerlover »

http://www.brewandwinesupply.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow has rolls of copper mesh for $15 a pound
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

It's lookin' nice!
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

yakattack wrote: I still have to figure out my takeoff and therm, solder in my plates and find packing. getting pure ss or copper mesh is proving almost impossible locally.
The local hardware store probably has lava rock for the grill or the flower bed pretty cheap. A bag of that and a hammer will hook you right up in a three inch column.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Looks good Yak.. :thumbup:
Keep the pictures coming.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Lava rock eh? Would need a screen of some sort to hold it. How does the lava rock compare to the mesh or even spp which is my end game.

Yak
Attachments
rsz_img_20150424_172748.jpg
rsz_img_20150424_172740.jpg
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

I switched out my copper mesh for lava rock and am happy with the result. Yes, you do need a screen or something at the bottom of the column. I cut a disk out of copper sheet and drilled a bunch of holes in it. You'll need to come up with a way to hold the screen in the tube. Mine just rests on the ledge of the sani flange.
Braz
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Braz wrote:I switched out my copper mesh for lava rock and am happy with the result. Yes, you do need a screen or something at the bottom of the column. I cut a disk out of copper sheet and drilled a bunch of holes in it. You'll need to come up with a way to hold the screen in the tube. Mine just rests on the ledge of the sani flange.
If I can't find a local source I may well use that until I produce enough app. But I multi task. Make spp, cook and strip at the same time. Only way to keep up.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Nice
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Lava rock really works well in a 3" column. Getting it the right size is key. I find that penny and dime size work well for me (this is where the hammer comes into play). I have not compared to SPP yet. I have a few gallons on hand and am close to a cleaning run with my rebuild so I can make the comparison soon.
Using Google Search

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Hound Dog wrote:Lava rock really works well in a 3" column. Getting it the right size is key. I find that penny and dime size work well for me (this is where the hammer comes into play). I have not compared to SPP yet. I have a few gallons on hand and am close to a cleaning run with my rebuild so I can make the comparison soon.
I will def consider it. And look forward to your comparison.

Yak
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Well in the interest of getting this up and running as I have some feints stocked up as well as some rice vodka to run I decided to start with the lava rocks until I ca. Switch over to spp.

I will be cutting a plate much like the boka slant plates and soldering it in to act as my screen. I will be heavely perforated so as not to hinder the vapor to much.

Now all I have to do I crush some rock, cut and solder and do my cleaning and sac runs and hopefully I will be up and running tomorrow with something produced by the end of the week.

Yak
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Here is a thread about packing retainers for your lava rock: http://www.www.homedistiller.org/forum/ ... =2&t=50707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I think SPP is not really worth the extra money unless you are wanting/having to limit the total height of your still, or just want to experiment. It takes alot of SPP to fill a 3" column. My 3'' is packed with just under 4' of lava rock, and it makes super clean neutral at a quart per 15 minutes no problem.

As hound dog suggested, size is key. I sat in front of the TV for a few hours busting them up and sorting out the most porous ones for packing. They are roughly the size of a dime.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Looking good Yak. No pun intended here but I find Lava rocks! I just had to cut a bunch for my new build and found that an old pair of dykes or tile nippers worked real well for cutting them without getting rocks all over the place. Then I just rinsed then til they were clean and boiled them, then packed the column with them.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Thanks guys :) I'll be sizing them up tonight.
I took a look at that thread bear river. Thanks. I've got two ways I can do it now. One would be more perminant. ( perf plate right at the homemade furral or few pieces of 1/2 pipe soldered in to act as a ledge (running with the pipe so as not to restrict the vapor flow) with a perfplate slipped above. Prob cut it into two to slow for removal later. )

Now I have to from figure out the therm port.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Re: The BAB-C

Post by chris_zx2 »

Pretty sweet!I keep seeing that stainless line everywhere, the one for your reflux cooling, what is it?
Nvm I found it: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=43946
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

chris_zx2 wrote:Pretty sweet!I keep seeing that stainless line everywhere, the one for your reflux cooling, what is it?
Nvm I found it: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=43946
It is CSST or Corrugated Stainless Steel Tube. Flexible stainless gas line. Brand name Gastite and others sold at Home Depot, Lowes and plumbing supply stores. Also sold as gas appliance connectors in short pieces.
I just made a new one for my rebuild out of 1/2" gas line from Home Depot. Wound it with a few more coils than my last one, probably 9 or 10 coils, have to get a pic. It knocked down all but a few wisps of steam with two 5500w burners running at 236v according to my tester. Didn't see any steam escape when running full blast with a vinegar/water mix. I have confidence that no alcohol vapors could get by it. Have to do the sacraficial alcohol run next week.
Using Google Search