Choices

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

orbo
Novice

Choices

Post by orbo »

Post 2

My choices tonight are

A. Mow the lawn
B. Do a run and produce some fine quality likkir

hmmmmm...... :roll:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Choices

Post by yakattack »

heatup takes time, turn condensor on and ow the lawn during heatup <assuming your outside>
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Gotta say no to that yak. NEVER leave a still unattended.... Ever.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
orbo
Novice

Post by orbo »

Never leave unattended, totally agree. The choice was one OR the other....I chose option B. The lawn can wait until tomorrow.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

pfshine wrote:Gotta say no to that yak. NEVER leave a still unattended.... Ever.

If your cooking outside its not unattended. At least for me it is. I also have an hour and a half to two hours heat up time. And condensor is always on.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Buy 2 goats to mow the lawn while you make your likker. Goats are a trip to watch.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Same dilemma here. Mow or still work. Still work won out and I started two 5 Gal. batches of wash. Rain predicted tomorrow but that's OK since I have a long Boka spirit run on tap. Might get to mowing Sunday. Or not.
Braz
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

jedneck wrote:Buy 2 goats to mow the lawn while you make your likker. Goats are a trip to watch.
How much likker do the goats get?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Kegg_jam wrote:
jedneck wrote:Buy 2 goats to mow the lawn while you make your likker. Goats are a trip to watch.
How much likker do the goats get?
None but they get the spent grains.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I always wanted a goat.

Too bad I live in the city.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you could always move to Canada, be at least another month til mowing. and cooling water abounds.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NgrainD
Bootlegger

Post by NgrainD »

I live in the city. My wife and I bought a baby goat one time from a lady we met at the rodeo. She was running the kids petting zoo, and had a bunch of baby goats that night just running around in the pen. While our girls played in the pen with them, my wife just watched and fell in love with this one particular little fella that seemed to have a lot of spunk. Well, she talked to the owner and lo and behold, a little while later we were leaving the rodeo with a baby goat. We hadn't made it 20 feet out the back door when this little darling goat started screaming something fierce. We didn't want anyone thinking we were stealing him so we all started screaming our heads off like the goat, trying to mask the sound, and running toward the car,with him tucked under my arm wrapped in a blanket. Trust me, everyone was looking at us like we were crazy. We got him home and put him in the backyard with a bale of hay we had from having puppies, but he continued screaming. For 2 days. Finally we got so scared of someone turning us in for having livestock in town that we called another petting zoo owner and gave him away. My girls named him pebbles. For obvious reasons. :lol:
Experience is something you gain shortly after you need it.
orbo
Novice

Post by orbo »

NgrainD wrote:I live in the city. My wife and I bought a baby goat one time from a lady we met at the rodeo. She was running the kids petting zoo, and had a bunch of baby goats that night just running around in the pen. While our girls played in the pen with them, my wife just watched and fell in love with this one particular little fella that seemed to have a lot of spunk. Well, she talked to the owner and lo and behold, a little while later we were leaving the rodeo with a baby goat. We hadn't made it 20 feet out the back door when this little darling goat started screaming something fierce. We didn't want anyone thinking we were stealing him so we all started screaming our heads off like the goat, trying to mask the sound, and running toward the car,with him tucked under my arm wrapped in a blanket. Trust me, everyone was looking at us like we were crazy. We got him home and put him in the backyard with a bale of hay we had from having puppies, but he continued screaming. For 2 days. Finally we got so scared of someone turning us in for having livestock in town that we called another petting zoo owner and gave him away. My girls named him pebbles. For obvious reasons. :lol:
Kinda love this story Ngrain. :thumbup: I can just picture this baby goat, wailing away in your backyard...saying something like this in goat speak..... "HEY, SOMEBODY WANNA LET ME KNOW WHAT THE F#$% IS GOING ON AROUND HERE? WHERE"S MY MOTHER, FATHER, BROTHERS, GOL DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNN IT!!!!!"
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Run the sill, let the goat eat your grass, then eat the goat. That's how I would do it if the grass in the front yard was more than 20 square feet.

Off topic tip: If your ever eating at an authentic Hispanic establishment such as a food truck, then order some cabrito. My favorite place has it but it's not on the menu for some reason. You gotta ask for it, and speak softly when you do... :problem: Daggum delicious! :thumbup:
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

And you can practice karate on 'em. Or so I hear.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

All I can add is my grass still needs cut.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

bearriver wrote:Run the sill, let the goat eat your grass, then eat the goat. That's how I would do it if the grass in the front yard was more than 20 square feet.
goats good eatin. after reading this i ended up looking up prices for goats and pigs.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

Here's a crazy dream of mine:

Get some goats, feed the dirty bedding w/ manure to my home built anaerobic digester, run my still off the bio-gas, and spread the effluent out to fertilize the corn for next season's whiskey.

Obviously in this dream, I have some kind of occupation where I rake in the gold without lifting more than one or two fingers every other week, because I will be tending to the Goat-farm-methane-digester-corn-harvest-distillery approximately 18 hours a day, with 3 hours spent getting drunk and 3 hours left for sleeping, eating, fucking and fighting.
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

With a cushy job like that dstaines I am glad you carved out some time for Fightin'
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

HDNB wrote:you could always move to Canada, be at least another month til mowing. and cooling water abounds.
Not all of Canada.. I've mowed a half a dozen times already. I'm not the type to mow for no reason either.
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

rumBum2 wrote:
HDNB wrote:you could always move to Canada, be at least another month til mowing. and cooling water abounds.
Not all of Canada.. I've mowed a half a dozen times already. I'm not the type to mow for no reason either.
you suck. :sarcasm:

I meant the real Canada not the banana belt part of it. :moresarcasm:

it snowed last weekend. :evil:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Where you located rumbum, I'll be breaking the lawn mower out tomorrow lol. Southern Ontario .

Yak
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Snowed Sat, Mon and today in NS.....The blowers still fuelled up, the mower ain't....jus sayin'.

Edit: Forgot to mention we had goats when I was growing up. We had 168 acres of swamp/trees with a hardwood ridge about a mile back past the powerline. Anyhoo, Dad wanted more field so we took the chainsaw and cut a 3ft wide swath in a huge (no idea now but it was pretty big) rectangle behind the barn and ran fencing. basically a bunch of heavy thick brush fenced in. Then dad put the goats in there and they cleaned as high as they could reach, bark/branches, you name it, it was bare. Then we made another one beside that and put the goats in there. We put the pigs in the first one for the rest of the summer to root around and generally tear it up. I had no idea what he was doing I was a kid and pissed that I had to help. The following summer we made a third one and put the goats in it and moved the pigs to the second one. In the first which was all muddy and tore to hell we put chickens in there. Don't remember the exact timeline but after a year or two we pulled down all the fence and had a massive parking lot like concrete. I loved the goats, we had one male, "peter" I used to fight with him all the time, got him real ornery. Course mom walks in to feed and across the yard he comes and just pounds her. Dad decided to kill him. Put the 22 to his forehead while he was eating, bang...looked up then went back to eating. dad stuck the barrel in his ear, bang, dropped on his front knees, still chewing. It was semi-auto so he put about 4 more into his head to finally kill him.

Funny the things that stick with you from when you were a kid.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

dstaines wrote:Here's a crazy dream of mine:

Get some goats, feed the dirty bedding w/ manure to my home built anaerobic digester, run my still off the bio-gas, and spread the effluent out to fertilize the corn for next season's whiskey.

Obviously in this dream, I have some kind of occupation where I rake in the gold without lifting more than one or two fingers every other week, because I will be tending to the Goat-farm-methane-digester-corn-harvest-distillery approximately 18 hours a day, with 3 hours spent getting drunk and 3 hours left for sleeping, eating, fucking and fighting.
thats a good dream. just need to find a place where you can keep chickens and pigs and maybe a cow at the same time. also somewhere you can do lots of tradeing. sure you may not have lot of money and the work will be hard but i would think it would be fufilling.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

WooTeck wrote:thats a good dream. just need to find a place
I found the perfect place actually. It's called California, 1830. It's beautiful there. Very quiet.
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

That's a hell of a story, goingbroke.

Goats are one of the things I'm looking forward to about homeownership.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

dstaines wrote:
WooTeck wrote:thats a good dream. just need to find a place
I found the perfect place actually. It's called California, 1830. It's beautiful there. Very quiet.
i think ill have to visit this California, 1830. whats there internet reception like? :P
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Back when my children were little the wife bought a goat from a little ole lady down the road. Now the wife thought it would be great to raise this goat up and then milk the goat to make butter cheese etc. because her belief was that goats milk was the cats meow. After about a week of this thing head buttin me everytime I tried to sit on the back porch and watch the sunset I finally LOOKED at the goat and had to reveal to the missus that this goat wasnt going to be giving her any milk in this lifetime. I told her it would be best to change the goats name to something a little more proper for him. I told her his name should be Billy not Gracie. She told me that we couldnt do that because our sons name was Billy. Then it hit her I was trying to tell her the goat was a male and that she didnt want to be milking him.
The demise of the goat was even funnier. At the time I had a pretty nice wellhouse. All insulated with nice windows and I did a lot of reloading in there. So I had nice benches and plenty of powder and primers. We had a wicked thunderstorm blowin in and she decided to put the goat AND the dog (poor dog) into my wellhouse to ride out the storm. Well it came a thunderin and lightning for over 2 hours. Poured rain and hail from the sky. Scared the kids. After it was over I went to let the goat out of the wellhouse and found the damn thing had practically torn the inside of the door to pieces stripping the plywood layers from it. He had eaten almost a half a bag of sweetfeed and the capper to all this was that he had climbed up on the benches and eaten about 4 pounds of Dupont 4831 and several boxes of Shotgun and pistol primers.
I got the missus out to survey the damage and gave her two choices.
A. Get the video camera and film me shooting this goat (hopefully I could hit him right in a primer) or
B. Have the goat gone by 09:30 the next morning.
Havent had a goat since.....
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I had know idea goats could be so entertaining.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Want to see something funny? Get an unsuspecting person to "scratch the goats head". If they scratch a male right at the base of the horns their hands will stink for a week, you can't wash it off. Female stink a bit but males are..wow...

Where I grew up we had grades 1-9 (about 100kids total) in the rural school and grades 10-12 were in town (17km's away, ooh the big city of 4500 or so) Anyway, first time I'm in grade 10 and go to the cafeteria to buy my lunch I take a drink of the milk and spit it out. It was bad. Got it replaced, spit it out, it's bad too..everybody else is telling me I'm nuts as there's nothing wrong with the milk, I can't stand it. I finally realised (seeing the side of the carton) "oh, this is COWS milk". Everybody thought I was retarded, "YEAH STUPID IT'S COWS MILK!"
"I've only drank goats milk, don't like this crap" :thumbdown: (I was redneck before redneck was a thing...)

We had some cows but I don't remember if that was before then or after but I never drank cows milk until I moved away from home after graduating. Goats milk was way creamier and better for you.

Fun fact, cow takes 4 bales of hay to make a gallon of milk, a goat takes 1. :ewink:

Another memory, mom used to put the goats milk in glass gallon jars in the fridge, she'd stir them up to pour it/sell it/whatever. I remember mom smacking me in the back of the head when she realised that for a week or so I was scooping just the cream off the top to put on my cereal for breakfast. she was wondering why the milk was so thin when she stirred it to sell, thought it was the goats fault! :lol:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!