Any rugby fans?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dont tell him Pike
Novice

Any rugby fans?

Post by Dont tell him Pike »

I've made the mistake of letting Mrs book a holiday in the states that covers the RWC semifinals and finals, but I know from experience many of our American cousins enjoy to play and watch the sport (just as I appreciate the finer points of NFL). Anyone want to chat about it. Without feeling the need to denigrate either countries sport. I'm thinking sharing links to Vids fans of collision sports can enjoy or finer points for "fans". Looking forward to my first visit to New York (But I will be watching the world cup final regardless of who's involved) Hopefully it won't mean divorce, but some things are "non negotiable"
Dont tell him Pike
Novice

Re: Any rugby fans?

USA won the UK 7's this year and could afford to leave this guy on the bench!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5bwqVN5LM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

All Blacks territory here mate, nuff said.
Dont tell him Pike
Novice

Doh! how can I be so ignorant? I was wondering about the American posters rather than the NZ guys. Black caps going well over here at the moment mate. Play great cricket with a smile on their face. I was pleased they won the second test because they were the positive team, and the 1 day series is awesome. Shame the ECB only gave them 2 tests
Dont tell him Pike
Novice

I read somewhere that Brendon McCullum was first choice stand off over a certain Dan Carter at age group rugby. Is that true? If it is FFS keep him playing Cricket!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I haven't followed rugby in a while but played until age 37, in college we were 4th in the nation. We played the national tournament on the Polo field at Pebble Beach, CA. The trophies were handed out by the cover girl on Playboy magazine thus our whole team wanted to go up to receive our 4th place trophy rather than just the captains. :sarcasm: When I played half our team was from Canada, in the late 60's & early 70's Canada was far better than we were as it was a more organized sport there at that time.
Dont tell him Pike
Novice

InglisHill wrote:All Blacks territory here mate, nuff said.
This last week, following the death of Jerry Collins, it been All Blacks territory too in the UK http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -died.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Dont tell him Pike
Novice

Bushman wrote:I haven't followed rugby in a while but played until age 37, in college we were 4th in the nation. We played the national tournament on the Polo field at Pebble Beach, CA. The trophies were handed out by the cover girl on Playboy magazine thus our whole team wanted to go up to receive our 4th place trophy rather than just the captains. :sarcasm: When I played half our team was from Canada, in the late 60's & early 70's Canada was far better than we were as it was a more organized sport there at that time.
I've found the friends you make through rugby stay with you for life, no matter the level you play. Best weekends of your life!!!
Dont tell him Pike
Novice

Have you got any pictures of the trophy presentations Bushman?
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Hello I'm Aussie and don't really understand it all :lol: . What's the difference between NFL and gridiron?. looks like both use body armour?. always liked gridiron because of its fast pace. But the body armour is a bit sooky :lol: . I remember when the first rugby league went to us they couldn't beloved they didn't use body armors lol. Union is even better :D .
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Dont tell him Pike wrote:Have you got any pictures of the trophy presentations Bushman?
I was a college student, didn't own a camera back then but can still picture her in my mind. If a picture was taken I probably wouldn't have been looking at the camera. :sarcasm: I agree about the weekends, as a club on campus rather than a varsity sport we always had pissups after the games hosted by the home team. Also it seemed like every team had these beautiful gal (groupies that followed the game and players). That is also where my name/handle comes from. Every once in a while I will still run into a player and we new each other by our nicknames rather than our actual names. Today people still call me bushman. I was on a wrestling scholarship in college but the spring and fall was always dedicated to rugby.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Guess you will prefer to keep that picture in your mind as she was then, rather than what she looks like today.

In this part of the world you have freedom of stillin as well as love of rugby. No pads or armour required
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Stomp
Novice

Post by Stomp »

InglisHill wrote:All Blacks territory here mate, nuff said.
Hell Yeah... :thumbup:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Roll on the word Cup!!
Up Ireland!!
Will be hard without drisco but sure 6 nations 2 years running, should be a good craic anyway
Don't be a dick
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

whos all been watching?

scotland vs usa today is sure going to be an interesting game shame im at work and will probably miss it
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

What a win for Wales, England looked to win it until the end, class.
Almost as good as Japans win over South Africa.
Good world cup so far, Can't wait fora Ireland to start getting tougher games, Italy next, should be a tester but should win by a good 10- 15 points.

Didn't see the Scotland- US game, but yous looked convincing against Japan, or was it them who looked tired..
Don't be a dick
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Yeah, it'll start to get interesting once the big-hitters are pitched against each other.
Very much enjoyed watching Wales beat England! Woot-woot!
Last edited by Dan P. on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Bushman wrote:
Dont tell him Pike wrote:Have you got any pictures of the trophy presentations Bushman?
I was a college student, didn't own a camera back then but can still picture her in my mind. If a picture was taken I probably wouldn't have been looking at the camera. :sarcasm: I agree about the weekends, as a club on campus rather than a varsity sport we always had pissups after the games hosted by the home team. Also it seemed like every team had these beautiful gal (groupies that followed the game and players). That is also where my name/handle comes from. Every once in a while I will still run into a player and we new each other by our nicknames rather than our actual names. Today people still call me bushman. I was on a wrestling scholarship in college but the spring and fall was always dedicated to rugby.
Sounds like my college experience.

It's not whether you win or lose but how you out drink the other team.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Swedish Pride wrote:What a win for Wales, England looked to win it until the end, class.
Almost as good as Japans win over South Africa.
Good world cup so far, Can't wait fora Ireland to start getting tougher games, Italy next, should be a tester but should win by a good 10- 15 points.

Didn't see the Scotland- US game, but yous looked convincing against Japan, or was it them who looked tired..
next game for us is against S.A. hopefully we will be able to win to keep the teams moral on the up and up. didnt actually catch the england wales game :(
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

well SA have a point to prove so don't expect to walk em, should be a good one all the same
Don't be a dick
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

im expecting it to be a struggle or really close one if they are to win
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Man yous were robed in the quarter, the ref was totally out of order.
At least you went out with a bang, Ireland just folded over... :(

Still AUS and NZ should make for an interesting final.
Don't be a dick
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

robed.... :'(

least we have finally started playing well after years of expected defeats. i just hope they can keep the progresss thay have made and apply it to the next tournament
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Started off playing soccer as a lad..then I grew up and discovered Rugby...Started out as a quick wing...then progressed to a Prop....Played in the last two years of high school...then onto the community side...played for one local side.... took a break.... and then went to another club further from home. We won the division championships that year...toured Texas and California with that team...
Then as a social squad joined another... they play over 40's mainly... toured Japan, Hong Kong and Philippines, Wales, Ireland, England and Texas...
I watch it when I can, but I've hung up my cleats for now.... Go All Blacks!
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Swedish Pride wrote:Man yous were robed in the quarter, the ref was totally out of order.
I wouldn't say robbed. Just a bit of a dud call... in the last 2 minutes (?) of a World Cup quarter final; The worst possible time!
Don't think the ref deserves the amount of gyp he's getting for it, though, at all.
I wish I could have seen Scotland in the semis, but the quarters aren't too shabby for the habitual 6 nations wooden spooners.
Gotta say, though, that I am praying that NZ don't win. Nothing against Kiwis, I'm not sure I've even ever met any, but I fucking hate the All Blacks. Chronic gamesmen and cheats through and through, and that stupid dance they do at the beginning; fuck off!
Having said that, I'll never hate them as much as I do England- If you're going to act like a primadonna, play rugby to match, whydontcha?
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

I am rising to your bait DanP only to say either this is a wind-up or you are showing your ignorance.
I suspect the former!
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Teddysad wrote:I am rising to your bait DanP only to say either this is a wind-up or you are showing your ignorance.
I suspect the former!
What? All Blacks are infamous as pro-foulers and gamesmen.
I think you might be partisan.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Unless it's to the defence of that rapey hula-dance that you're rushing?
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Swedish Pride wrote:Still AUS and NZ should make for an interesting final.
It's the bloody South Africans this Saturday, the damned Springboks. Let you know Sunday what a wallabies, All Blacks match up looks like.

Rugby fan? I've played in three different countries. Home, for Taupo...in Germany and in London. London was best. Here, in the US, my kids all played, and I refereed for a few seasons. OK I'm a fan!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

They've been blowing hot and cold this world cup, I wouldn't bet against yous.
deffo wouldn't bet against AUS, so yeah I reckon the two of yous will meet in the final.

Would have loved to be in NZ for that, the atmosphere will be electric.

Was in OZ for the 2003 WC, great craic!
Don't be a dick