GNS/Vodka on Oak Experiment

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

GNS/Vodka on Oak Experiment

Post by Jimbo »

Here's an interesting experiment I started in December. We've all heard of the few unscrupulous start up pinheads buying GNS (grain neutral spirits) from the big conglomerates (like MGP in Indiana) and aging it in barrels to pass off as their own craft spirit. Well I did a little experiment which I encourage you all to try, as a way to help develop our whiskey palate.

I bought a bottle of Sams club 6x distilled vodka and put it on the same oak I typically age my whiskeys on. Today, 6 months later, I poured a glass side by side with my bourbon. First off, the color is weird, its more brown than amber, you can see the difference in the pic. Why I have no idea, maybe due to 80proof aging?

Flavor wise, well, Ive heard said the barrel accounts for 80% of the flavor. I now call bullshit on that claim. I started with the vodka. Taking several sips over time, trying to forget that its vodka. By itself, without a comparison, its not terrible, caramelly, vanilla, smooth. Ok, but thin. Then I sipped my bourbon and a smile came on my face. Wow. All the hard work is definitely worth it folks. Rich, deep, layered, complex. Back to the vodka,....simple, light. Would be good for a Jack and Coke type drink, no comparison to a true AG carefully done.

And there you have it.

Cheers,

Jimbo
IMG_20150614_41708[1].jpg
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: GNS/Vodka on Oak Experiment

Post by still_stirrin »

Way to go Jimbo. Thanks for the enlightnment.

It proves that quality is more than a label..its actually in the product. Some inexperienced novice(s) here may try to convert a cheap vodka into a "passable" whiskey, but the experienced pallette discerns the quality (or lack of it) enough to avoid disception.

Your experiment exonerates the enlightened.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Very interesting. Thanks for this Jimbo.

I think this could be interesting. Canadian Whiskey is mostly aged/oak'd neutral mixed with Pure whiskey's, might help me get to making a clone faster.

Be some interesting to compare all gains individually like this all at the same barrel strength you normally use for aging:
Take 100% Rye Whiskey and oak (6 Months, then 1 year)
Take 100% Oat Whiskey and oak (6 Months, then 1 year)
Take 100% Corn Whiskey and oak (6 Months, then 1 year)
Take 100% Barley Whiskey and oak (6 Months, then 1 year)
Take neutral/Vodka and oak (6 Months, then 1 year)

First taste all as is... then Mix then to provide the ideal whiskey mix?

It would be interesting to have 5g of each on hand ;) Man ooo man that would take a lot of wash and time stilling.

B
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Yes, have done all those. Vodka was the last. There's lots of write ups on here on grain flavors from me and others. And yes Im a big fan of blending to hit a flavor profile youre after. My 5 Grain and Batch 303 are blends.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Nice writeup, man. Thanks for blowing that 80% wood myth. That always rubbed me wrong.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Good test and good write up Jimbo.. When I was reading it I was thinking you were gonna say it taste like Jack.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Its not unlike Jack actually. Jack is better tho, even with all the charcoal filtering. Or maybe Im biased having drank many gallons of Jack over the years.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Interesting, we have a distillery in Washington State that buys their neutrals then makes gin buy rerunning it through a vapor basket to get the gin flavor they want. I am guessing that the results would be the same if trying to infuse flavor through a thumper with the results you attained.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

how much oak do you have in that jug?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

LOL, I was waiting for someone to ask me that. Initially I had the usual amount, 1 fresh charred stick per quart. Last month it wasnt oaky enough, and I just pulled a bunch of stuff off oak so I rinsed the used sticks and stuffed em in there. They were pretty spent by this point, dont think they contributed much in a month.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ha ok,

I was going to say :shock:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Nice writeup. :thumbup: That %80 thing bugged the heck out of me as well.

I'm going to go knock up a bottle of %65 abv vodka on oak the T-pee way right now for giggles. It's not store bought but should be goodernuuf. I could always toss in a few tablespoons of heads to make it seem more like Smirnoff if needed.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Jimbo, your my hero, I read about all your posts, but... The GNS from MGP was distilled at 190 proof, so it's got no backbone. They also sell whiskey, that by law has to be distilled at LESS than 160 proof, so it might have a little more flavor than the GNS. When I had my distillery I toured though that place, and they make dozens of different products, not sure any of them are any good, but it would be interesting to get some of their whiskey and then age it on sticks. I believe you'd have better luck.

The Ole Bohunk
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Jimbo, a question, would the glycerin in the vodka inhibit or change the outcome you got, I mean instead of using grain neutral spirits? I've cut down "Everclear" to cask strength with a quarter bourbon stave and had surprisingly good results,it took a year and it was by accident, but none the less surprising. Kiwi Bruce
Getting hung up all day on smiles
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

This seems like apples to oranges if your control was oaked at 120 -130 proof and the vodka at 80.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Jimbo wrote:Yes, have done all those. Vodka was the last. There's lots of write ups on here on grain flavors from me and others. And yes Im a big fan of blending to hit a flavor profile youre after. My 5 Grain and Batch 303 are blends.
Thanks! I was readings some you posts I think after the UJSSM /w rye and corn and my Gin are done might do a 100% rye, then wheat ..... and go down the row. I really like rye but I feel at 100% it needs more aging.

Be interesting to see a side by side of the Vodka at same proof as you bourbon. Or Another experiment.

Vodka @ 40 50 60 and 70%
Burbon @ 40 50 60 and 70%

Age all samples on oak using same method and time. Compare the samples at 6 months and 1 year.

Be interesting to see what color differences and flavor differences you get. Will take me a long time to get enough product to do this test... but its on my Todo list as I want a canadian whiskey clone and I think ages/oaked neutral combined with different amounts of corn, rye, barely should get me close. Doing tried and true first getting my feet wet in the hobby.

B