Use your eyes to make heads cut??

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

john2674
Bootlegger

Use your eyes to make heads cut??

Post by john2674 »

My distilling partner isn't much for using computers, but he does watch every single show on tv that has anything at all to do with distilling. Well during today's spirit run he tells me about a show about a rum distillery where they take samples of the run in a small glass and cover the top with their eye... If it waters then your still in heads. If not it's time to dilute and sample. I tried it today and believe it or not I got it pretty close!!
Anybody else ever heard of this method? Or does everybody do it and I'm just showing my ignorance again lol.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Re: Use your eyes to make heads cut??

Post by aceswired »

Heard of it yes. Played with it, yes. Is it close? Yes. But your taste buds and nose still do a better job.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

aceswired wrote:Heard of it yes. Played with it, yes. Is it close? Yes. But your taste buds and nose still do a better job.
That about sums up my experience with it as well.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

bearriver wrote:
aceswired wrote:Heard of it yes. Played with it, yes. Is it close? Yes. But your taste buds and nose still do a better job.
That about sums up my experience with it as well.
Here too..
The "eyeballtest", is sure ok...but i'd rather use my tastebuds and nose.
I just dip the finger into the stream, rub it and smell it..the heads will be discovered immidiatly if in there.
That's also the reason i never do a spiritrun when i catched a cold..the nose can't do anything for me.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

There should be an entire topic about eyeball testing for cuts here in these forums. somewhere...
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

If somebody jostles your arm this test would get pretty painful.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

rad14701 wrote:There should be an entire topic about eyeball testing for cuts here in these forums. somewhere...
Would it be in the safety section , if not it should be.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I didn't learn of this until recently. Here is a tip that might keep you from getting the sauce in your eyes.

Odin and I were trying something that a guest brought to a BBQ. He told me to put the rim of the glass under my nose and to gently blow. The gas immediately burned my eyes from the heads. Pretty cool little ditty if you ask me, even if its not very useful for making cuts.
john2674
Bootlegger

Post by john2674 »

rad14701 wrote:There should be an entire topic about eyeball testing for cuts here in these forums. somewhere...
I tried searching for it,but the stupid advanced search tells me eye and cuts are too common and omits them from my search. Arrggh! I even tried adding + before each word. No luck
Last edited by john2674 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

They demonstrated this on an episode of "Booze Traveler" once. Don't remember what distillery it was, but they used one of those tall Glen Carin(sp?) style glasses. I remember the method being mentioned here on the forums a few times. I always found it easy enough to detect the sting on the tip and outer edges of my tongue. My vision is already bad enough - don't think I want to take the chance of causing any more damage.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER: http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 46&t=50259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I searched "eyeball test" this was the first result... http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... =1&t=25688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
john2674
Bootlegger

Post by john2674 »

Thanks bear! I'll give it a try! I hate asking about stuff when I know it's been discussed before ...if I could just find it
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

YMMV. But I certainly wouldn't want to stick my eyeballs into a cauldron of steaming volatile solvents. No sir....not me!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Greig56
Novice

Post by Greig56 »

john2674 wrote:Thanks bear! I'll give it a try! I hate asking about stuff when I know it's been discussed before ...if I could just find it
There in lies the dilemma!! Having a good question yould just love answers to found or having your eyes or fingers dipped in caustics for contemplating the thought outloud in the ether/print[!]
Read, read, read, attempt and then ask is all you can do!
Per Adua Ad Astra!
Retiring from a working profession. Thinking of making a decent mark on Man's Second Oldest Profession. Fanfare not required!
30Ltr Boiler Keg, Pot Still 3"x24" under 1 1/2"x24" made b4 found this site! 18" Liebig