Sour Mash flavored with fruit loops....

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Sour Mash flavored with fruit loops....

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

It is done. I did one slow stripping run and kept the hearts.
The flavor and character of the cereal definitely carries over, but not exactly as I expected.
If I smelled this I would know it was something familiar, but I wouldn't go straight to froot loops.
Knowing what it is I definitely pick out the "froot" flavor aromas.
Taste has same faux fruity taste, mildly, and then corn like wet left behind cereal in a bowl. But in a good way.
I'll bring the bottle to woodshed's, will be interesting to get others take on this one.
Reminds me a little bit of jednecks chocolate shredded wheat shine, flavor is there, not overwhelming, but in a disconnected, alien sort of way.
All in all it is a clean bright white shine. Doubt that I'll do another, but happy with this one.
Thank you NcGunny, and you son, for the inspiration to do this one! I really enjoyed the detour.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

That sounds interesting to say the least.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: I got to talking to someone about it, and they knew someone who knew someone, and next thing you know I had the boxes in hand.
Oh sure! Kegs have to be all legal, but everybody is just fine with black market Fruit Loops.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

So its been 3 months since the Fruit loop run. Been very busy here but....did a taste run.
The original run on the sour mash with incl fruit loops is still very tastey. The second batch has very much mellowed and lost most of its odor. It still carries over a fruity subtle hint on the backend. Sometimes my fruit real or fake will pick up a peppermint taste on the tongue. (Only way I can describe it) but I am pleased none of this got it. I think the key to success is Corn Mash Fruitloops. Make up your mash like you would ferment then wait a few days and shove the loops in..lol. Grocery store has 5 boxes for 10.00. I have 20 boxes sitting on the table now..lmao. Almost forgot..My all Fruitloop was ran like a first run of rum. I didnt get the faux taste. But my taste buds might be fried due to years of abuse.
Is your life worth.."Better fix that next time"????
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Good to see you back, Gunny.
I want to thank you for posting your son's brilliant recipe here. I made the all-Loop batch and I've had a lot of fun with it. A lot of the flavor and aroma carried over in the white spirit.
But, if you add a little Sprite, between the sugar in the soda, and the carbonation, it's like sticking your head in a bag of Froot Loops.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: I'll bring the bottle to woodshed's, will be interesting to get others take on this one.
I laughed out loud after taking a sip of this at S3. There's no doubt what flavor is slapping you in the gob, after the childhood flashbacks subside anyway. As far as Im concerned MCH took the award for the craziest delicious concoction on the table,... but of course that comes as no shocker considering who we're talking about here. I still treasure my jars of yam juice and slow roasted in the ground spud shine from him too. MC is certifiable, a pioneer in the libation lunatic fringe.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Think we should get this entered into the tried and true section...was hoping someone would try out a Sour Mash experiment also. I ran another batch..well I used all my headstash of malted corn and made as much as possible. Really hard for me to get my malted corn right in this god forsaken yankee state. Anyways...fruitloop enhanced corn likker is the way to go for the most taste..I do believe my Grandpa would have a fit when he knows I polluted his recipe..lol Guess what his Xmas present is?!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well I got a batch of froot loops birdwatchers going this past weekend. I only had a one gallon zip lock bag full of loops to put in but I figured it wouldn't hurt. I want to add one more box to the mix but have a question. You guys think I'd be better of adding when the ferment is almost done or should I try dumping a box in the thumper? I'm going for max foot loopyness.

Also, I dumped the loops in whole, after two days they still are. I was expecting the shriek poop look but it never happened. Any ideas?
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

HAHA This loops thing is sure to be a long time hit here on HD. Its a crazy cool drop for sure and is on my hitlist as well. I cracked up at S3 when I tasted MCH's.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Jimbo wrote:HAHA This loops thing is sure to be a long time hit here on HD. Its a crazy cool drop for sure and is on my hitlist as well. I cracked up at S3 when I tasted MCH's.

Yep. Just sounds way to cool to not try. I just made the comment to my wife and her friend that I wished I had some old cereal for my wash and her friends said well I've got some old froot loops! They both laughed and my eyes lit up!!! Took me a while to convince them I was serious!

Edit: I wanted to add that depending on how this goes I may try it with UJ before long. After all the original calls for a sour mash!

The other idea is to do it with corn flakes to keep it an all cereal wash.

Edit#2: just googled froot loop liquor. Looks like the big boys beat your son to this one gunny. Theres a brand out there by a company named "three olives" and the bottle is called loopy. In case anyone is interested.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I've had the three olives, and it was nothing like the product I sampled from mch. Seems to me they're using a flavoring in a neutral.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

DSM Loki wrote:I've had the three olives, and it was nothing like the product I sampled from mch. Seems to me they're using a flavoring in a neutral.
Thanks for the reply on that. I fugured somebody here had at least tried it. Was wondering if it was worth picking up a bottle to have a standard to shoot for. Thats the problem with making something you have no idea how it should taste!
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

This is funny as hell. Last night my buddy brought me a 1/2 bottle of the (all I can say is SWILL ) of that Loopy. I honest to god couldnt get a second swallow past my tongue.Its some kinda neutral flavored...honestly I cant even.call it a drink. I have had plenty of sugar washes flavored..but those SOB's are giving.my Fruitloops a bad name..lol!!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

So I got to run this yesterday. Striped 10 gal and then combined that with 5 gal fresh wash for the spirit run.

Froot loop flavor is BIG. It had a pretty harsh burn off the still last night but already seems to be leaving after just a few hours airing out. I have really high hopes for this after cuts and blending in a few days!

I'm pretty sure this will not be my last time fermenting froot loops. This was just really fun from start to finish!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

TRIED AND TRUE!!!!!! that's my vote anyways! Made cuts this morning and after blending and proofing down to 50% this stuff is amazing. Full of loopy flavor and for some reason turned out incredibly smooth to be this young. I am positive now I will make this again.

My only problem now is what to do with it. Its great neat, and I'm assuming its going to make an amazing SPD. just not sure if I want to cover up the froot loops taste because it is so unique. I'm wondering what a few JD chips might do to it also....
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Glad you liked it!! Been so busy here lately hard to even breath. I actually liked the corn mash flavored slightly better,not alot of difference but just slightly different. I found it works better on my rig to run these crazy washes like I would rum and no packing in the column. I had the slight burn also but it went away quick.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I love this thread.

It absolutely cracks me up.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Uncle Jesse wrote:I love this thread.

I got a Metamucil thread buried here somewhere in the "annals" too......No I'm serious.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

LWTCS wrote:
Uncle Jesse wrote:I love this thread.

I got a Metamucil thread buried here somewhere in the "annals" too......No I'm serious.
I tip my hat to innovators.

Keep it up.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

still_stirrin wrote:...

25 years ago when I started brewing beer, a close friend in our brew club had an incident similar; his 4 y.o. boy stuffed cat food (pellets) into one of his carboy fermenters. The cat food started a feverish ferment in the vessel. He asked me if he should dump it out. I said, "heck no".
Wow. This gives me an idea for a Mad Max bottle :idea:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Corsaire wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:...

25 years ago when I started brewing beer, a close friend in our brew club had an incident similar; his 4 y.o. boy stuffed cat food (pellets) into one of his carboy fermenters. The cat food started a feverish ferment in the vessel. He asked me if he should dump it out. I said, "heck no".
Wow. This gives me an idea for a Mad Max bottle :idea:

Ha!
Oh boy....Do tell sir.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Well, remember this scene from the Road Warrior?
:ebiggrin:
Attachments
Dinki-di.png
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Courage, Gunny, you are out there alone in Froot Loop land... :thumbup:
Tip of the spear. :clap:
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Went to my local market and fruit loops are on sale... damn it :P
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

hummmm...... this rabbit hole looks..... interesting :?
my first gen ujssm in a 20gl brute just finished at .998 :ebiggrin:
I was planning a 3x run for party favors then ending the ferment
but, seeing as this is for the end of the year work party, I think that
a 4th gen with some froot loops is way neccessary 8)
but here's the question(s)
my ferment is sized for 2 1/2 times of the original ujssm. so
18 lbs of cracked corn
18 lbs of sugar
16 gls of water
anyone got any ideas how much froot loops I should add in the 4th gen,
or should I replace some of the sugar with the cereal? :eh:
reading the thread no one has given quantities, other than mch's whole
cereal run. :wave:

thanks to any an all that help
bronctoad :wave:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:How's that fast aging coming along, Gunny?
I'm not sure what your recipe for this is, I think you are adding the cereal to a UJ?
I'm going all the way, for the "single malt" Froot Loop version, using nothing but the delicious Loops.
froot01.jpg
I got about 12# of cereal and, because I didn't want to fight them floating around in the mash water, I ground it up in my corona. It was effortless work to pulverize the loops into dust.
froot02.jpg
froot03.jpg
I added about 8 gallons boiling water to the cereal and it set right up like you expect corn to do. I added some SEBStar-HTL and let it set for about 3 hours.
When it got down to about 150F, I added 1/2 cup lemon juice to adjust pH and added SEBAmyl and let set for a few hours.
The Froot Loops converted quite nicely, I wound up with SG 1.056 and pitched baker's yeast. It's fermenting great today.
froot goo.jpg
I'll update when I run it. Dedicating this one to your son, NcGunny! Toucan Sam would be proud.
Well. We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

And we are being down right infringed on. Pfff.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/amp267 ... arts-beer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Here's to the original full strength unicorn fart! Here here!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I saw a thread on another site where a guy made something with Fruity Pebbles, now I see this thread here :lol: I bought 10 bags of generic store brand Fruity Pebbles and sugar. Now should I add some cracked corn, or keep it just cereal?

20200713_154410.jpg
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I kept it just cereal and sugar. Two 30 gallon ferments with 45lbs of suagr and 5 bags of cereal in each. Using bread yeast since that's all I had on hand. If I like it I might have to make it again and age it in a barrel just to see WTF that's like!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Stripping it today. It smells great! It had a layer of oil across the top that got onto everything, one of the ingredients was canola oil. If I do this again I'd check to see what has oil in it and not buy it.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Beerswimmer wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 am Stripping it today. It smells great! It had a layer of oil across the top that got onto everything, one of the ingredients was canola oil. If I do this again I'd check to see what has oil in it and not buy it.
Draw it off from below the oil.

Geoff
The Baker