diagnosed with gout

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

diagnosed with gout

Post by firewater69 »

I just left the ER, had a bad attack of gout in my right toe. it was so painful I couldn't even walk. so I guess I'll be cutting back on the hooch(not that I drink alot). I've had some pain off and on for a while, just didn't know what it was till I had this flare up. i'm one of those guys who hates going to the doc, but I guess I had better change my ways.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: diagnosed with gout

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

For real painful, no more shrimp for you.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I know, I love seafood too!
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I love shrimp. I love shrimp. I love shrimp. I love shrimp.... I have not had but 2 or 3 in the last 10 years. Gout used to be known as the rich mans disease. Gotta limitthe Red meat and boose.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Man I've got about 2000 shrimp in my freezer if I ever had to give it up not sure what I woud do!
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

a shiner with gout, what a hell of a deal.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

that sucks buddy.

heres what ive read on the alcohol part:
Reduce alcohol intake - Beer, fortified wine and stout are best avoided if you have gout and you should try to reduce your alcohol intake per week to less than 14 units if you are a woman and less than 21 units if you are a man. The less alcohol you drink, the lower your risk of an attack of gout and if possible try to have at least 3 days per week when you drink no alcohol.

so in other words you can have just under a pint of 40% a week.
excerpt from:arthritisaction.org.uk
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Crab can cause it quicker than shrimp!
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

thanks for all the info WooTeck, I keep my drinking to a minimum anyway, as far as seafood I don't get to eat it very often as the soh hates it. but still a life change that I'm not looking forward to. @flatwoods, crab legs are my absolute favorite.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I have had gout..I use an Herb remedy called "Stone Breaker." It is available on line and in some vitamin stores. Technical name Phyllanthus Niruri, common name gale of the wind, stonebreaker or seed-under-leaf. It helps gout, kidney stones, gall bladder, liver function,...
Stone.jpg
Stone.jpg (2.45 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
It's made from a common weed, I have had it in my yards most places I've lived. I have it as a house plant now. You can cut the tops and it grows back. We macerate it in alcohol (go figure) and take a teaspoon when I remember to. Taste like bitter celery.
Stone breaker.JPG
Gout is from uric acid crystals/tiny stones in the blood cutting into your joints, arthritis, This stuff dissolves the crystals and keeps them from forming. It will make you pee like a horse! Stimulates "wood." :thumbup: So, it's good for other men's lower functions.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

thanks dad, i'll check into it.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Fresh cherries are good for it to the sour ones are even better.. Have to be eaten raw.

It sux! Good luck!

B
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

DAD300 wrote:I have had gout..I use an Herb remedy called "Stone Breaker." It is available on line and in some vitamin stores. Technical name Phyllanthus Niruri, common name gale of the wind, stonebreaker or seed-under-leaf. It helps gout, kidney stones, gall bladder, liver function,...
Stone.jpg
It's made from a common weed, I have had it in my yards most places I've lived. I have it as a house plant now. You can cut the tops and it grows back. We macerate it in alcohol (go figure) and take a teaspoon when I remember to. Taste like bitter celery.
Stone breaker.JPG
Gout is from uric acid crystals/tiny stones in the blood cutting into your joints, arthritis, This stuff dissolves the crystals and keeps them from forming. It will make you pee like a horse! Stimulates "wood." :thumbup: So, it's good for other men's lower functions.
+1 DAD300 Go herbal.... Also, 1/8th of a teaspoon of baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate) three times a day. This will reduce the acidity in your system, neutralizing the uric acid. however if you do self-medicate with this, you must also take folic acid, which the bicarb strips from your system. Plus side effect, it will keep you sipping the homemade pleasures of life ! !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

My dad used http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/tart-che ... treatment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Worked better than anything.

B
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

thanks bitter, and thanks to everyone for your input. I'm able to walk on it today and most of the pain is gone. :thumbup:
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Glad things are improving! Literally like walking on needles..

B
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

This is the results of many years of booze, lobster, clams and blue crabs. Hurt like hell but would do it all again. Come to think of it I am. There is still life after/and with Gout. :esmile:

AC
Attachments
1-6 inch bubbler 017.jpg
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

1. Gout truly sucks. Had it so bad I thought about hacking off my toe with a machete. Many times.
2. Allopurinol is a low cost med that will prevent reoccurrence. Great drug.
3. I used allopurinol and don't anymore.
4. I guess you can "out grow" it. I don't get gout anymore. (Knock on wood)
5. Spinach and good tomato sauce were the worst causers for me.
6. I drink more now than I ever have.
7. I don't eat spinach anymore.
8. Acfixer, I feel your pain. Been there. Machete time.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

acfixer69 wrote:This is the results of many years of booze, lobster, clams and blue crabs. Hurt like hell but would do it all again. Come to think of it I am. There is still life after/and with Gout. :esmile:

AC
Damn AC, mine wasn't that red, but I absolutely couldn't walk on it.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

@buflowing, spinach is a fav of mine.
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

firewater69 wrote:spinach is a fav of mine.
Might want to rethink that
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Wtf? I just saw my doctor for a swollen toe/foot joint and she said I had Gout. Been having trouble on and off for a couple years. This time it was real painful.

Never even knew about it till I saw this.
MashMaker
Swill Maker

Post by MashMaker »

Sorry to hear about your gout my brother in law has been having problems with gout for many years and I don't wish it on anyone. I have to tread lightly around the subject myself.

Many years ago my uncle had kidney stones and I made fun of him for being such a baby about it. Some time later I made fun of a buddy for being a baby about shingles. Needless to say shortly thereafter I had multiple bouts with both of them.
Karman is truly a bitch.
Hope you get better quickly and pray it doesn't return anytime soon.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Last time I had a flair up in my foot the doctor had to cut my boot off. It's by far the worst pain I've ever known, I was tempted to amputate at the knee.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

MashMaker wrote:
Many years ago my uncle had kidney stones and I made fun of him for being such a baby about it
Not fun at all! 3 so far for me. One time put me in hospital for five days, kidneys didn't want to start back up proper. Thankfully they did.

Avoid dark colas, and green/black teas is what my urologist suggested. Used to drink both. Cut back on t coke, no more green tea, it's been a couple years without one.

Dunno what I'd do if I had gout.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

DSM Loki wrote:Last time I had a flair up in my foot the doctor had to cut my boot off. It's by far the worst pain I've ever known, I was tempted to amputate at the knee.
exactly! when I went in to be treated I told them that I was an organ donor and they could have the fu$&in toe!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

acfixer69 wrote:This is the results of many years of booze, lobster, clams and blue crabs. Hurt like hell but would do it all again. Come to think of it I am. There is still life after/and with Gout. :esmile:

AC
I see you have that foot propped up on a barrel of medicine. Looks damn painful!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Reviving this old threat cause. I beat the last one back 7 yrs ago but it never goes away. This bout so far isn't as bad as last one. All the guys I've met over my years that have got gout were heavy drinkers. Something to thing about.
Cheers
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I limped around for a year as I was mis-diagnosed with gout in my ankle. Didn’t show up on an x-ray but did on an MRI. Surgery and I am back walking regular again.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I know a whole lot more about that shit that I ever wanted to!
Short version - started having attacks, doctor would treat & talk about diet & weight.
Then I found out I had leukemia & started chemo.
After every monthly session, the attacks were back & worse than ever.
No answers from the docs.
When I was finally in a wheelchair, a rheumatologist said it was a no brainer.
Body, trying to get rid of the cells that had been killed, was overloaded.
At one point I was in a wheelchair, taking a combo of prednisone & percoset 4 times a day.
Not to feel good, just to feel "normal".
And of course drank cherry juice & ate my weight in dark cherries.
Got through that, and been taking Allupurinol ever since.
No problems at all, especially since I went on Keto/Carnivore which reduced weight & inflammation

I saw this video & others about Carniover/Keto which says I don't need the Allupurinol any more, but it's a SMALL price to pay for insurance.
Take a look, take it with a grain of salt, and decide for yourself.
(No beer or pizza in over a year & a half but I'll still have my whiskey & water)