Corn Vodka

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Corn Vodka

Post by aircarbonarc »

So I have a sack of some amazing flaked corn, I've made a couple batches of 40% distillers malt, 55% corn and 5% rye malt whiskey. The results have been good. I was discussing doing a 100% corn or 80% corn/20% Sugar vodka wask to run on a reflux still for a 90-95% spirit. My question is I have a bottle of enzymes, and potential alcohol strength (gravity)

First, how much enzyme should I use per lb or Kg of corn?

Second, I'm considering using just an EC1118 yeast, pinch of nutrient and some energizer (yeast hulls). We were discussing and since this is not going to be a Whisky just a neutral spirit. How strong can we push the yeast. With Whisky I've been going a little under 8% on my washes. Will going up to 11%-12% be a big problem with flavors and undesirables? Usually with my rum washes I hit 10.5% to 11% without an issue.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
kekedog13
Bootlegger

Re: Corn Vodka

Post by kekedog13 »

Depends on what kind of enzymes you have. Powder , liquid , amylase ?
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

So a Google search for your brand of enzymes. They should have sent you instructions with them.
I'd keep the ABV around 10%. And use bakers yeast, a lot cheaper and likes corn ferments.
I made a vodka from UJSSM by triple distilling. Very nice with a slight hint of corn.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

I prefer wheat-based vodkas but I've made a few batches from corn. SEB enzymes are used at 0.36 ml/lb ... I usually just toss a tablespoon per 12 lbs of grain. That's worked every time.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Booner's in the T&T makes great vodka. :idea:
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

bearriver wrote:Booner's in the T&T makes great vodka. :idea:
+1
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

aircarbonarc wrote:First, how much enzyme should I use per lb or Kg of corn?
The enzymes I've been using require both .36ml of alpha and gluco per pound of grain.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

So I've decided to go with 14gallon wash, about 12lbs of corn, 5lbs of 2 row I have left over and about 22lbs of inverted sugar. It'll have hopefully have a gravity of 1.108 and a final of 1.025. ABV of 10.88%. Wondering if I should maybe swap out the 2 row for more corn and use my liquid enzymes or wheat malt for flavor sake. ... I guess the worst thing will be activated charcoal filtering if it tastes funny.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Why use enzymes and go to the effort and trouble to mash in then dump sugar in to the point that its not even gonna finish dry and possibly cause foaming ,puking,and scortching? How about trying the booners rescipe in t&t by woodshed. Try for a og of 1.060-1.070 and ditch the carbon filtering. Quality over quantity....
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Agreed. Don't waste enzymes if you're just going to throw sugar in there.
The sugar alone will make 11% ABV. Adding the sugar from the grains is gonna up that even more.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

http://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I was using this handy calculator, wanted to make a full grain vodka but figured sugar would stiffen up the ABV and cut down on the use of full grains. So this calculator is... Maybe processed meat named after a region of Italy? Bologna"
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

>wanted to make a full grain vodka but figured sugar would ... cut down on the use of full grains.

Do you see the contradiction there ?

RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

greggn wrote:>wanted to make a full grain vodka but figured sugar would ... cut down on the use of full grains.

Do you see the contradiction there ?
+++++++++++1

There is a reason all grain is preferred over grain+sugar when making vodka. Both can make a fine drop, but try a strictly all grain and compare it to a sugar head. Keep note of which has more bite. Oh, and no cheating with charcoal filtering. We do it ourselves so we can do it right and not have to rely on tricks. If you need to clean up off flavors, rerun it. :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

I suggest to use your corn and enzymes to nake an AG corn vodka. Use your sugar to make a sugar wash. Save your barley for a whiskey batch. Run them separately and if you're not happy with the individual products you can blend ... or re-run.

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Corn make a great vodka. Very sweet on the back end. Don't use sugar. It's just a waste for vodka. Make a sugar head on the spent grains for a corn whiskey.

Try a 50 /50 corn/wheat for a phenomenal vodka. Perfect blend of mouthfeel and sweetness (subtle) personal preference anyways.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

yakattack wrote:Corn make a great vodka. Very sweet on the back end. Don't use sugar. It's just a waste for vodka. Make a sugar head on the spent grains for a corn whiskey.

Try a 50 /50 corn/wheat for a phenomenal vodka. Perfect blend of mouthfeel and sweetness (subtle) personal preference anyways.

Yak
I will try that!! Good idea actually!! I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm thinking of using EC1118 with a bit of DAP and some yeast hulls to satisfy the cannibalism
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I used EC1118 with a corn mash once. Didn't turn out that well. Had some funky sulfur smells. Went away eventually but I don't get that with DADY or bakers.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I've had good results with using an American ale yeast with whiskey washes. I bought a good sized bag from my local brew store and its been serving me well with the AG washes, good flavor. Maybe try a dry ale yeast next time. Used still spirits whiskey pure and it just gassed so much sulphur the basement smelled like farts.