Hello from Germany!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

der wo
Master of Distillation

Hello from Germany!

Post by der wo »

Hello!

First of all I want to excuse my bad english.
I've been distilling for a while and reading here tons of hours, want to say thank you and share some pictures of my equipment. I'm writing much on the german-speaking forum http://www.schnapsbrennen.at/diskussion.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. Here on homedistiller I think i will seldom because of the for me huge effort of writing in english...

The potstill is for stripping neutrals and grain, the LM for spirit runs and fruits/brandy:
DSC06445c.JPG
DSC06439c.JPG
DSC06451c.JPG
DSC06447c.JPG
DSC06436c.JPG
DSC06437c.JPG
The 17l-boiler is heated by a 2600W hotplate. The parts where I soldered copper on stainless steel I painted on the outside with liquid-zinc (95% Zinc, 5% paint) as a sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion.

The liebig for the Potstill is 22/28mm (OD) 81cm effective length, the column 1m/54mm, the liebig for reflux 28/35mm 47cm eff. length, the product-liebig 8/15mm 30cm.

It's my second reflux build. My first was a LM/VM-combination, a mixture of the Nixon VM and rads concentric LM. One problem was, that i got flooding above the pool with more than 1500W. The other, that the temperature-mesuarement was not completely independent from the reflux-ratio, with much reflux the °C and the vol% didn't match as usual. The new head solved the problems. And I seldom do neutrals, only to get alcohol for "Geist", so I left off the VM-option.

Thank you, der wo
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
thecroweater
retired

Re: Hello from Germany!

Post by thecroweater »

Welcome here from what I read your English is not too bad. I hope you do take the time to contribute as I think a fair number of our membership would be interested in hearing what and how spirits are made over there. I see you joined on the day of my 45th birthday, my mothers family left Prussia some 170 yrs ago but I can't help but to feel some effinaty to Germany
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Hey der wo, somebody tied your still in a knot!

That's pretty cool, man. I like it. Is there some magic to that shape, or was it just fun to do? Do you have a name for it? It sort of reminds me of a mobius strip.

Welcome to the board. You are a valuable addition to the conversation.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Der woo, a belated welcome to the forums. I enjoy reading your contributions here.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Thank you both!

There was a little discussion about my design here:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=57221
Seperation of the thermometer from the reflux and not narrowing down the diameter less than 28mm by a pool were my goals. And perhaps no overweight to a side, because the lid of the pot is not so massive (I considered to build a 45° offset LM with external reflux). And fittings over 28mm are expensive. But I don't know, perhaps a simple bokakob :tired: would give me the same spirit quality...

In the german speaking forum I wanted to name it "Loopo", but a member, who has a twice as large column diameter and three times more boiler volume as me, named it "Loopinchen". If you don't understand this, Loopinchen means the same as Loopo but female and small...

If you want, name it Knotty or Moe(bius) :lol:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Yeah, I gotta say that you've been a very helpful member here, too. Good stuff.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

how about erpel schwanz :lol: sorry couldn't help myself :P
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Beerdude
Novice

Post by Beerdude »

Aye, a neighbour :)

Viele Grüße :wave:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

No. Definitely not. "Erpel" is a male duck. I think you mean "Eber", the male pig?
But anyway, "Ringelschwanz" or "Ringelschwänzchen" is what you mean. That's ok for me.

Thank you too, raketemensch.

Griasdi Schalömsche Beerdude
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

pigs and ducks got a similar trait in that respect so I meant drake but was all in jest :lol: :thumbup:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Really?
10_d4dca08973545190256b89e2b54b0ad4.jpg
colorful-ducks-tail.jpg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

:D ok I'm thinking my 160 yr old Prussian slang for "schwanz" might not translate to modern German, I should have checked google translate :oops: :P
check under those creatures for a "Ringelschwanz" :moresarcasm:
Although I grew up in a very German area still steeped in Prussian / Silesian Lutheran heritage but most of these peoples ancestors (mine included) left Prussia between 1838 and 1860 and their language no doubt reflects that . My grandfather had a heavy accent and yet his great grandfather is buried in Hahndorf south Australia. My grandmothers brothers names were Franz Erhardt, Felix Clarence and Johannes Herbert and their Great Grandfather is buried in Lights Pass South Australia, a culture frozen in time until only a generation ago. As for me I have forgotten more than I remember
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

der wo, another belated welcome. I have enjoyed your posts here and found your English to be quite good.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

thecroweater wrote::D ok I'm thinking my 160 yr old Prussian slang for "schwanz" might not translate to modern German, I should have checked google translate :oops: :P
I'm not sure if you're wrong or if he's messing with you, but it's funny either way.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

You mean, the penis of a drake is formed like a ringlet?
Would that be a proof, that Darwin was wrong perhaps? Perhaps we should not discuss about that further because of rule Nr.5.

Oh god, I googled it... It's true, my still looks like the penis of a drake!!!
The lake duck has the longest with 42cm. Fuck! Oh no! Please don't! His penis dimensions would be sufficent for a 4" monster column, but I think, I have to stop here because of rule Nr.4.

"Rule Nr.10: Enjoy the information offered here and share your knowledge with us."
Dear thecroweater,
I have to admit, I don't feel able to follow this rule, it's not possible for me to enjoy the information offered here at the moment. And I would like to request you, to break this rule in such cases and NOT share your knowledge with us.

Regards, der wo
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Uh huh. I KNEW "schwanz" sounded dirty.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Krulstaart, or, if it is small: krulstaartje.
And staart has no connotation. For that we could use slurf (the trunk of an elephant).
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

der wo wrote:Really?
10_d4dca08973545190256b89e2b54b0ad4.jpg
colorful-ducks-tail.jpg
Doch:
http://www.max.de/lifestyle/mode-design ... Enten.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It is a surprising intricate and nicely build column. :thumbup:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

So cute ducks...
Perhaps you all are right and I am duckophil... or even worse drakeophil...
frdlturner
Novice

Post by frdlturner »

der wo
I like your still it has character of it's own
in the 70's I was in navy and went to Stuttgart many times for October festival
that needs to be on everyones bucket list
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Oktoberfest is in Munich! But every city in Germany has a similar event. In Stuttgart it's called "Canstatter Wasen".
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Der Wo,
A much belated welcome! I have followed your posts with great interest. Rereading this post I was shamed by realizing I neglected to welcome you. You have improved our site with your posts. Thank you for broadening and enriching our base of knowledge.
Just Sayin'
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Oh. Now the quince brandy tastes even more better...
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

As does the Warsteiner Oktoberfest!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

der wo wrote:Oktoberfest is in Munich! But every city in Germany has a similar event. In Stuttgart it's called "Canstatter Wasen".
Every time i see stuttgart all i can think of is standing in waist deep flooded timber shooting ducks. The duck hunt to break all other duck hunts....Stuttgart arkansas
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

You really want to talk with me about duck hunting???

But anyway, better don't try it in Stuttgart/Germany.

Oh, and you are off-topic now. This is the thread where all members can make compliments and praise my equipment and skills. :lol:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

der wo wrote:You really want to talk with me about duck hunting???

But anyway, better don't try it in Stuttgart/Germany.

Oh, and you are off-topic now. This is the thread where all members can make compliments and praise my equipment and skills. :lol:
Sorry,got sidetracked
All hail der wo! His still is magic and skills are legendary!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

A little update:
A half year ago I build a coldfinger to increase the efficiency of my reflux liebig.

It's not a pipe in pipe coldfinger, there is only one pipe divided by a inserted copper sheet. The water flows one side of the pipe down, the other side up. The sheet is soldered only at the top, where the in and out pipe is. The cap has two vent holes.
DSC07350.JPG
DSC07351.JPG
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

der wo wrote:A half year ago I build a coldfinger to increase the efficiency of my reflux liebig.
A cold-finger in a concentric... :thumbup: I might try putting a cold-finger in mine to see how much more efficient it makes my concentric considering that I have everything I need to make one... :think:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Without the finger I was able to knock down 2.6kW. But only with much water, which then went cold down the drain. The cooling power was definetely not enough (even with a scrubbie in the upper half) and to tune it up with more water is wasting a lot.
Now I can use much less (almost half) and it really gets warm or hot without vapor escaping the liebig.

The finger is diameter 12mm, the liebig 26mm inner diameter.