CAD program for Ubuntu Wanted

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

CAD program for Ubuntu Wanted

Post by moosemilk »

I know there are numerous computer gurus here, and of those many who can use a variety of CAD programs. Can anybody recommend a good one for a total newb to start out with for Ubuntu? There are numerous ones available from the Ubuntu software, but I am not sure which to get, if any. Would love to play around a bit with it and learn while thinking of my flute build. Thanks!

***edit*** just to add, i am running 15.10 (Wiley Werewolf)
Bushman
Admin

Re: CAD program for Ubuntu Wanted

Post by Bushman »

Ubuntu after a Google search is a Linux operating system so not sure what software is available as I am not sure many CAD programs are set up on that system. I know there are a lot decent free software that are CAD based for simple design problems. I taught and was trained on pretty sophisticated software for CAD/CAM/CNC. Currently at home I use Rhinoceros it's not the top end but very functional.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

You can run (almost) any windows app in Linux, such as autocad or any other modeling software. You just need a windows emulator. It is kind of like a NES emulator but more complicated. Download a program called "Wine" and you will be in buisness. :thumbup:

Edit: You can also dual boot Winblows on any Ubuntu machine. Run Gparted to partition the drive/s

Edit again: You could also run a windows virtual machine on top of Linux. Lots of ways to skin this cat.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Have you tried googling 'CAD Linux'? There are a lot of options that don't require emulation. What kind of modeling do you need to do?
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

There are builds of Linux specifically compiled for engineers. You should look into that then put it on a $10 bootable flash drive. :idea:

Here is something I found that you might find interesting: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEngineering" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This too: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/08/8-be ... linux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I have dual boot ubuntu/winblows. I just hate, no, DESPISE windows. Just curious if anybody has tried any of the 'nix based cad programs and which would be best. I have been looking a little at freeCAD (basically a linux based autocad), and LibreCAD, as well as OpenSCAD. I was more curious on which would be best for me to start learning on, that runs solid without WINE or another win emulator, and isn't buggy with Wiley Werewolf. A few bugs i can handle, i just don't want to spend hours in terminal installing and blacklisting crap.

Thanks for the advice so far. I guess i'll just try one and see how it goes . . . picking by true scientific method "eenie-meenie-mineie..."

Probably start of with a 2D to get the swing of things. I mostly want it just to draw out my flute build instead of on paper the old fashion way. Stepping myself slowly into modernization lol.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Moosemilk, I would be interested in hearing about what you find during this endeavor.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

bearriver wrote:Moosemilk, I would be interested in hearing about what you find during this endeavor.
I'll post back with findings. So far i think i am going to start with freecad. It's available for almost any OS and some great tutorials available on youtube. And like the name suggests, it's free.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I downloaded FreeCAD as well as LibreCAD both through the ubuntu software center. Played around with each over the past few hours, following along with some youtube tutorials. FreeCAD did crash once on me but ran flawless afterwards. FC is more like autocad and supports 3D. LC is a 2D cad program, and also numerous tutorials available. Both were easy enough for me being a pure novice to follow along tutorials and get to know a little. Each has it's merits, depending on what you need. I'll probably stick more to LC since i really don't need the 3D images, most of what i do is from 2D blueprints anyways and i'm familiar with that. Although when designing my plated flute, i may just do it in FC so i have a nice 3D of what it will look like. It's going to take some time learning the program for that, but it'll be fun. Well, back to playing more with LC.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Another Linux CAD offering is QCAD... I have used it on both Linux and Windows for years... Somewhat basic, but it allows me to bang out ideas into 2D drawings quickly... I've played with several Linux CAD programs but it's been a few years since I really dove into the latest and greatest...
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

rad14701 wrote:Another Linux CAD offering is QCAD... I have used it on both Linux and Windows for years... Somewhat basic, but it allows me to bang out ideas into 2D drawings quickly... I've played with several Linux CAD programs but it's been a few years since I really dove into the latest and greatest...
Thanks rad. I took a quick peak at QCAD. It has the same appearance as LibreCAD, and tutorials for both seem to be combined, so they are very similar (maybe even same?).
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

moosemilk wrote:
rad14701 wrote:(maybe even same?).
It's funny how much of that you see due to open source code. The difference between two apps can be as small as a font change or color theme.