gonna try woods booner recipe

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

gonna try woods booner recipe

Post by Tater »

Took 50 lbs course ground white corn meal .In a 50 gallon barrel took my boiler and rigged it for steam.Heated water in 7 gallon pot and filled barrel to 25 gallons.Started the boiler and ran steam and cooked corn meal till it reached porridge consistency.Around 180 f as per woods directions added the first enzyme. Mash went from porridge to water like almost instantly.Stirred every 20 minutes or so till temp dropped to 148-150 and added the other enzyme. Took a sample this morning and cooled down to 60 f temp and. sg was 1.052 Am using a ale yeast safale us-05. Just waiting on mash temp to drop enough to pitch yeast.Gotta say Wood took work outta this mash
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: gonna try woods booner recipe

Post by woodshed »

Nice job Tater. Did you heat corn to above 180 then let cool or stop heat at 180? How long did it take temp to drop to 150 range? I have not used that yeast but routinely finish at .990. I ferment at a higher temp though which is more in the working range of the low temp enzyme.

I find the most flavor to carry over in the 68 abv range when running the still. I try to hold it there as long as I can.
That is through a 4 plate flute in a one and done run. I do not remember what type of still you run.
Last edited by woodshed on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

held it at 180 -190 for around 45 minutes till it thickened up and was getting hard to stir Took around 2 1/2 hrs to cool to 150.I stirred every 15 minutes.When got to 150 I also wrapped in blanket and covered top and let sit over night before removing wraps.Almost at yest pitching temps now.Got it well stirred and waiting :) I use a pot still with a thumper sometimes
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Tater, I ran through pot still as well, but don't have a thumper. If i did, i would have used for a single run rather than spirit. I saved some hearts from a slow strip run and they were tasty. I think running a thumper would be about perfect for this recipe. If you do, let us know for sure how it turns out! I used yellow cracked corn that was ground to slightly coarser than a meal.

HDNB had a batch of this he oaked and sent me a sample, damn tasty!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

You are going to love this recipe!
it's so slick and comes together with minimal fuss.

I've done a few and have always stripped and rerun spirit. it oaks like a mofo, if you like colored whiskey i'd suggest some white oak cubes and some medium toast french oak chips from the wine store.

50sq in of toasted charred white and 2 Tbsp of chips per gallon.
it won't last.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Well, alrighty then. Guess I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and follow Tater and Woods recipe. Will get me some zymes and go fer it. I have one of them home steamers. Hmmmm wonder if that would work for heatin the mash? If'n I just pour water in from the hot water heater.....is that good to start? Probably 140 degrees F. Now I gotta get it up to 180 or so. Oh sh*t. Just had a pifiny. I don't have a mash tun that's not plastic. Uh, oh! Decisions, decisions. Oops, thinkin' outloud again. Back to the drawin board. :problem:
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Perfectly acceptable.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ivs=1& ... r+mash+tun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Blah, blah, blah,........
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:Perfectly acceptable.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ivs=1& ... r+mash+tun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks for that FMH. Much preciated'.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Fermenting happily along .Smells great
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Finished fermenting yesterday .Gonna let it settle out for a bit before filtering out and running.Gonna try using some trub to do a rye mash next booner style
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I went to a water powered grist mill in my area and had them grind me up some white corn course .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Tater wrote:I went to a water powered grist mill in my area and had them grind me up some white corn course .

Is that spendy Tater? Is there a minimum ?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

LWTCS wrote:
Tater wrote:I went to a water powered grist mill in my area and had them grind me up some white corn course .

Is that spendy Tater? Is there a minimum ?
Just went and ask for it they ground me 100 lbs for 26 bucks I think it was
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I love my mill but it is hard to beat a good ol grist mill. That really made a nice powder out of that corn!
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Started my mash yesterday. Followed your protocol T-Pee pretty much except cut the volume in half and used stone ground yellow cornmeal. Safale-05 yeast. Bubbling away this morning. It was quite the learning process in that I am in no way prepared very well for doing mashes. First thing gonna do is build a wort chiller. WPITA that was trying to get the temp down to pitch. Took all frickin day. Tried ice, tried air compressor, tried stirring. Had to boil 3 pots of water too. Gotta get a bigger boiler. What did work great is heating the mash back up to 190 cause after I put the corn in the water the temp dropped rapidly. So, I used my little home steamer and cooked it back up and it worked great. Up to 200 in a matter of minutes. Only problem was once the stuff got thicker it was blurping out of the cooler all over the place. Went clear to the ceiling. Was drippin on me. Had to wash my hair later. I remedied it by putting a towel over it and holding the wand under it. But I still have corn goop stuck on my ceiling. Glad wife didn't look up. Looks like I got good conversion and the OG is about .06 I think.....stuff was still a little thick. I was little concerned about PH...was around 6.5. Guess we'll just wait now. I have been watching to see when yours was gonna be done. Looks like it took about 16 days? That's pretty slow. Hope it turns out great. Keep us posted.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

settled and am now filtering
Attachments
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Heres more pics
Attachments
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Any pics of the filtering mechanism?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

two of these in a tee http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp? ... gQoducgIbQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
TurtleLA
Novice

Post by TurtleLA »

Tater how is that corn meal not clogging up that filter?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

It does but not completely.Slows down to its just dripping.Been filtering about 4 days
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Tater wrote:It does but not completely.Slows down to its just dripping.Been filtering about 4 days
You have a lot more patients than I do, The filter appears below the shut off, do you remove and clean it to speed things up? I also found that it runs faster the more liquid or weight so have you thought about some type of press using a circular disk on top with it weighted to create more of a force?
Just thinking out loud!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I was wondering if had this in an olive barrel with a lid I could seal using compresses air to put 3-4 psi in it.. might speed up filtering?

B
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Filter and shutoff are same level.Yep have tried with weight does speed it up .Also adds more trub .Yes this takes awhile but in cold weather why hurry
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Tater, I do about the same thing, and I always worry about the time it takes to drain the fermenter. In my case it takes several hours, and the wort is exposed all this time, is that no problem ? You say it takes several days to drain, so is there no infection/mold starting ??

The Ole Bohunk
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

When its warm weather I put few gallons at time clean and do again. But where I live it aint been but to freezing couple time last several day in the shady part of back pouch where Im doing it.Being this cool I just dumped it all in at once
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

bitter wrote:I was wondering if had this in an olive barrel with a lid I could seal using compresses air to put 3-4 psi in it.. might speed up filtering?

B
Ive thought about that myself my barrels will seal with rings. Wouldn't take much to add small hole for air vale on a inner tube to stick threw. Using tube as a bladder.However gravity seems to be the cleanest way.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Yeah gravity it for sure the easiest and cheapest. I want to try this method.. just want to get plate still on order and setup first. 1 step at a time....

B
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Tater, you got the patience of Job. i woulda run it dirty on day 1. mind you, the grass is frozen solid under a foot of snow currently, so yeah, color me jealous of all that greenery in your photos.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ran this weekend and tempered to drinking proof today.This is a easy way to do corn for sure . Has a good corn taste but less earthy then corn using malted corn in recipe . Would do again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .