What do we call you Americans?.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: What do we call you Americans?.

Post by Bushman »

Googe I have been giving this some thought as we in the US are a melting pot of different nationalities. Years ago I did a tour of the south along the Mississippi River and a lot of towns are still finding bullets from the civil war and they would definitely take offense to being called "Yanks". I am not sure how we are coined Americans other than our country is called "United States of America" but when I travel seems like a lot of the world calls us "Americans", Canada "Canadians" and Mexico "Mexicans".
GDGeorge
Novice

Post by GDGeorge »

Yanks is entirely appropriate in my book. Question for the New Zealanders though: is EnZed OK? I've used it for years and only get odd looks from fellow 'Muricans but since we're on the subject...
T-500 boiler and column
Home-made insulation blanket
StillDragon tri-clamp adaptor (useful as hell.)
Copper Pot column
"Custom" Copper Alembic Dome (I cut up a copper mixing bowl. A work in process..)
Home built SCR voltage controller
GDGeorge
Novice

Post by GDGeorge »

BTW: yank goes back a bit. Remember, "Yankee Doodle went to town a-riding on a pony..."
T-500 boiler and column
Home-made insulation blanket
StillDragon tri-clamp adaptor (useful as hell.)
Copper Pot column
"Custom" Copper Alembic Dome (I cut up a copper mixing bowl. A work in process..)
Home built SCR voltage controller
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Yep. 'Muricans. :relaxed:

I don't give a hoot what you call me as long as you have a smile on yer face. Image

tp (ol' rhino hide)
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I would never say yank or Yankee in polite company.

Context is everything IMO. Yankee is a label used here in the USA by Southerners to describe Northern people and appeals. Southern Americans are not yankees.

We had a bloody civil war between north and south which forever left a scar. Culture and geography separates us, so verbal labels make good sense.

Saying yank to get a rise would be insulting, but that would be the intention and most folks can tell the difference... Besides, there are properly derogatory words that some southerners use which are intended to be offensive... "Carpetbagger" for example describes a northerner buying property in the South, and it is an extremely hateful thing to say to someone.
Last edited by bearriver on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I think the name calling between Aussies and NZ is hilarious and always gives me a smile.

Currently Southern Alabama & if I lived any further south, I'd have to be on a boat! Grew up in the North. Regularly people in Alabama scowl and say, "You'll from the North ain't ya?"

Once, an old woman here gave me some guff about having a Japanese car. Her son apologized.

I said, "still sore about WWII?"

He said, "Don't let her hear you're from the North!"

I've got no problem with Yanks.

We're so fractured here each state/region came up with it's own name. State by state we could be Buckeye's, Hoosier's, Cornhusker's, Flatlander, Troll, Ridge Runner, Briar, Hillbilly, Sand Cutter...list goes on and on.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Grey Meadow was absolutely correct. +1
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

bearriver wrote:"Carpetbagger" for example describes a northerner buying property in the South, and it is an extremely hateful thing to say to someone.
I would venture to say it's a bit more than just buying property. It's been thrown around plenty down here in the past few years.

When people from up north came down to profit off of the hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill disasters, it was pretty tense with some of the ol' boys on the bayou. They didn't like non-local folks coming in and taking their work.

Aside from that, the more preferred term for us down here is "Coonass".
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Coloradoans are frequently referred to as greenies. This started due to our license plate but has recently taken on a whole new meaning.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

What the yankees didn't plunder steal or rape in the south they burned . carpet baggers came and bought up what was left for taxes to pay back the yankees for saving us from ourselfs. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: http://artists.letssingit.com/hoyt-axto ... z3y1CD8ptJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow but as a aussie dont mind it a bit if ya call me a yank
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

You can call me a Yankee, you can call me a Confederate, you can call me a Northerner, or a Southerner, or......
You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ... but ya doesn't hafta call me Johnson."

You Aussies prolly won't get this, but older Americans know that this was from a humor shtick back in the 70's.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

likkerluvver wrote:There are 55 countries in "The Americas"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... population" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
They include:
USA, Brazil, Mexico, Columbia, Argentina, Canada, Peru, Venezuela, Chile etc.
All of these countries are American.
America is a continent, usually sub-divided into North America, Central America, and South America.
There is NO such country as America.
The USA is NOT the whole continent. It is just one part of the continent.
Totally agree :thumbup:
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
billybags
Novice

Post by billybags »

GDGeorge wrote:Yanks is entirely appropriate in my book. Question for the New Zealanders though: is EnZed OK? I've used it for years and only get odd looks from fellow 'Muricans but since we're on the subject...
EnZed is fine is so is Kiwiland and for the across the ditch Oz or Ozzy is perfectly acceptable too.
xcvator
Novice

Post by xcvator »

Well for us Australians, you can pretty much call us anything you like, so long as you've got a smile in your voice and on your face :D The ones to watch out for though are those "sheep shaggers" from across "the dutch" :angel: :angel: ( New Zealanders that call fish and chips, "fush 'n chups") Sorry, couldn't help myself :twisted: :twisted: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

xcvator wrote:Well for us Australians, you can pretty much call us anything you like, so long as you've got a smile in your voice and on your face

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I AGREE WITH THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^

:D The ones to watch out for though are those "sheep shaggers" from across "the dutch" :angel: :angel: ( New Zealanders that call fish and chips, "fush 'n chups") Sorry, couldn't help myself :twisted: :twisted:
I'll call you dick head, or numb nuts, in a heart beat, after I know ya
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Yanks? Sure. Like they say, if you can't love yourself...
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Canadians - Canucks
Germans - Box heads
British - Shit eaters
Americans - Yanks or Americans

If any of them are assholes then I refer to them as assholes. :thumbup:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
ripcrd
Novice

Post by ripcrd »

Ask yourself, would I rather be the Yank or the Yankee. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
Better off to say "hey friend."
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Whatever y'all decide to call us Americans, I guarantee I've been called worse. Won't hurt my feelings.
xcvator
Novice

Post by xcvator »

frodo wrote:
xcvator wrote:Well for us Australians, you can pretty much call us anything you like, so long as you've got a smile in your voice and on your face

Have you been talking to my wife :)
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

It's like us calling the Brits POM's. It's OK, till you call them whingeing poms or pomme bastards. Most Americans have no idea where the name Yank came from. The English started calling the northern colonies Yankee before the French and Indian war. When Pennsylvania went to war against New York, the Pennsylvanians called the New Yorker's Yankees. During the War of Independence, Yankee Doodle was an American Battle Song.
So Yank is OK..... as far as I've been told. Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Personally, my grandpa called me boy mostly, mama called me Justin,friends call me jb,enemies call me what ever they want then have problems with broken jaws unless they prove different.
Jb

When you call me that,smile or fight!
Virginian by Owen Wister
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

i was 15 when my Dad was transferred to the philippines. when we arrived. at the hotel
the porter at the hotel was my age. he grabbed the bags, and so did i. we both took them to the desk
then the boy put his arm around me. OH HELL NO! HOMMIE DONT PLAY THAT!!!
so i shrugged his arm off rather abruptly. I could tell it hurt his feelings. BUT, like I said
Homie dont pitch and catch.. oh no no no.
later, I told my Dad about it.
He told me, That is their way of showing friendship, and i just refused his offer of friendship.
The next morning, I found him, put my arm around his crazy ass and made a friend
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

xcvator wrote:
frodo wrote:

Have you been talking to my wife :)
yeah, She called me a dick head !!!!!!!!!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well KB its past down to me the the First Nations people of the northern French colonies called the English Yangee, it was their phonetic rendering on the French word for English. It does stand to reason that the word corrupted to Yankee came to mean colonists of the former English colonies. Just speculation but it makes some sense
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
john2674
Bootlegger

Post by john2674 »

likkerluvver wrote:There are 55 countries in "The Americas"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... population" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
They include:
USA, Brazil, Mexico, Columbia, Argentina, Canada, Peru, Venezuela, Chile etc.
All of these countries are American.
America is a continent, usually sub-divided into North America, Central America, and South America.
There is NO such country as America.
The USA is NOT the whole continent. It is just one part of the continent.
While there are a lot of countries on the American continents, I believe the USA is the only country with the word America in its official name.(as far as I know anyway.) That would be my guess as to why were called americans just out of natural human laziness and shortening our name.
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

Americans
But why is the rum gone? Capt Jack Sparrow
Drinking Rum before 9:00am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

frodo wrote:i was 15 when my Dad was transferred to the philippines. when we arrived. at the hotel
the porter at the hotel was my age. he grabbed the bags, and so did i. we both took them to the desk
then the boy put his arm around me. OH HELL NO! HOMMIE DONT PLAY THAT!!!
so i shrugged his arm off rather abruptly. I could tell it hurt his feelings. BUT, like I said
Homie dont pitch and catch.. oh no no no.
later, I told my Dad about it.
He told me, That is their way of showing friendship, and i just refused his offer of friendship.
The next morning, I found him, put my arm around his crazy ass and made a friend

Same but different in India, was traveling with a mate and we hung out with the local lads for a few days.
All of a sudden as we were walking along they took a hold of our hands and proceeded to walk down the street as a loved up couple.... thats how they show they are friends, would have preferred an arm around my shoulder....
I'm very accepting of other peoples cultures but this one took me aback a fair bit, i didn't pull it away or push him away, just worked it in to the conversation, look whats over there, points with now freed hand and made sure to have a bit more room between us as we were walking along.
Don't be a dick
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

Brits are Wankers, Americans are Americans
But why is the rum gone? Capt Jack Sparrow
Drinking Rum before 9:00am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

RumDummyDrunk wrote:Brits are Wankers, Americans are Americans
To Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans the Brits are known as POMs or POMEs it's the acronym for "Prisoner Of Mother England" it was printed on their clothes, and the poor Bastards where shipped out to the colonies in droves in the early and mid 1800's.
Getting hung up all day on smiles