Hello Everyone! -Notsoproud owner of Chinese Still

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lowenthal
Novice

Hello Everyone! -Notsoproud owner of Chinese Still

Post by Lowenthal »

Hi Everyone. I've been involved in home brewing for a bit over 10 years now, making wine kits and some fruit fermentations (I'm really proud of my apple cider). I first found this site two years ago I think it was, and spent hours every night it seemed reading through posts and trying to soak up some of the knowledge here. I should have kept reading because I think I've already made a huge mistake. I purchased a 3-pot stainless still setup (5 gallon boiler). Once it was delivered I discovered to my dismay that it had been manufactured in China, and the "support videos" were not available. As yet I've had no response to my email to the merchant either. If you look at the picture below you'll see that not only are there inappropriate materials used but the thumper and flake stand/worm are ridiculously small. There is another problem I saw which is the input to the thumper is a hole in the bottom of the pot. Can a still setup like this even work as intended? If I ever get a response from my email I'm going to see about getting a refund but if that falls through...would it be better to try to fix the issues with this setup, or just toss everything but the boiler and start from scratch? I already have enough 1/2" copper line to make a reasonably sized worm for the boiler capacity. FYI be forewarned. This still was from Ama+TrulyStep on Amazon.com aka FayeLong on AmazonEurope. Don't waste your money on this trash.
Attachments
still1.jpg
Last edited by Lowenthal on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowenthal
Novice

Re: Hello Everyone! -Notsoproud owner of Chinese Still

Post by Lowenthal »

Let me clarify lest anyone be mislead. I've been home brewing for 10 years, but I am new to distilling.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Sorry for your misfortune. Maybe all is not lost.
Besides the odd thumper, what are the other concerns? What does it look like inside the thumper? Why not run it without the thumper?
The worm condensor does look small, but if the water can be refreshed enough it may work fine. Is there a valve where that air lock is to close off the pot?
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I have seen that still around here before. If i remember correctly that is not a thumper at all it is a type of jin basket. You are supposed to put oranges or whatever you may want inside it and it will infuse your spirit with that taste. I think the bigger concern with the still was synthetics being used at all the seals. Be careful to check for anything plastic that may be in the vapor path!!!

With all that said I'm sure you can still use it one way or another. Might just need a few...."adjustments" first.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Lowenthal
Novice

Post by Lowenthal »

There is a valve on the airlock. The two flex hoses connecting the pots look like stainless steel, but they are not (I'm thinking aluminum?). I don't even think the couplings are stainless. Inside each coupling is a rubber gasket. The seals around the top of the boiler and thumper appear to be silicone. One more thing I just noticed is that the top coil of the worm drops beneath the edge of the pot and then rises a bit before continuing down to the outlet. It would seem to me that makes the worm a total loss. I guess I can make plans to dispense with the thumper for the time being. I'd say this is a decent example of every material you should NEVER use building a still. At least the ss pot looks ok.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Lowenthal wrote:There is a valve on the airlock. The two flex hoses connecting the pots look like stainless steel, but they are not (I'm thinking aluminum?). I don't even think the couplings are stainless. Inside each coupling is a rubber gasket. The seals around the top of the boiler and thumper appear to be silicone. One more thing I just noticed is that the top coil of the worm drops beneath the edge of the pot and then rises a bit before continuing down to the outlet. It would seem to me that makes the worm a total loss. I guess I can make plans to dispense with the thumper for the time being. I'd say this is a decent example of every material you should NEVER use building a still. At least the ss pot looks ok.
That's a tough lesson Lowenthal. You can test the flex hoses with a magnet to see if they are aluminum. I can't imagine that they would be aluminum? The gaskets can be wound/ wrapped with ptfe teflon tape to be safe. The coil must have a continuous slope as you seem to know. You seem to know pretty much what the issues are so, I guess it's your call. I sympathize with your frustration. But, it could work, until you get something built or purchase what you want.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Some of the Chinese are making gorgeous and highly functional distillation equipment. I am sorry that still is not among them...

However, an educated consumer could and would have identified those problems with the product just by looking at a picture of the still. The disproportional dimensions and synthetics are apparent.
Lowenthal
Novice

Post by Lowenthal »

bearriver wrote: However, an educated consumer could and would have identified those problems with the product just by looking at a picture of the still. The disproportional dimensions and synthetics are apparent.
You are correct regarding the size of the worm in particular. Many of the problems I've found weren't apparent from the picture. The flexible piping looked to be stainless but isn't, rubber seals were hidden inside. I assembled the still and tried running some tap water through it to check for leaks and function. The worm would have worked I think with the water flow I had available, but it's wound incorrectly which I didn't pick up on until it only produced water in spurts not a steady stream. I remembered a similar situation being diagnosed in previous posts.

I'm packing the entire thing up and whether the seller will take it back or not, I'll eventually get most of my money back through Amazon, minus the return shipping probably...I hope.

I'm still a newb at the distillation thing, but hopefully I know enough about the process through the fermentation to help others up to that point.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Amazon policy is great. They will facilitate you a refund. :thumbup:

I once went to return a few still parts to Amazon and they told me to keep the parts before issuing me a refund on the spot.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
I can already tell you haven't been through the Parent site much, if at all.
What did you pay for the mantel set and conversation piece?
If nothing else, I'd keep it, stare at it, learn every piece, bein able to point out all the wrongness and explain what correct changes are needed ...Use it as a learning tool, turn your mistake around, start fresh after some (mucho) studying, then just put it on display like diecast or other collectables.
Education always cost, consider it a mistake and be able to explain why ..There may be something salvageable to mate with another still, depending on size restrictions.
Chin up, good luck, be safe ..Let this be a motivator.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Welcome in... :wave:
Well...you should have read a little more in here, but you can't use that hindsight for anything now..unfortunatly.
You can't use that "still" as it is right now.
bearriver wrote:Amazon policy is great. They will facilitate you a refund. :thumbup:

I once went to return a few still parts to Amazon and they told me to keep the parts before issuing me a refund on the spot.
I sure hope they offer you a refund too.
If they do and also tell you to keep the parts, they can be utilized for other purposes or to build a small still..
So don't give up yet...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

As far as the way the thumper (if it were a thumper) is set up, the inlet thru the bottom is not the issue as much as elevation. It would evidently drain back the entire thumper charge back to the primary as it currently sits.

Vapor chamber for infusion is more likely as Shady says.

Check out how Olddog set his drain up on the frankenthumper.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

An airlock on top of the boiler. What's the purpose of this? Do they intend you to distill your fermented mash all in one pot? You still have to siphon off or rake your mash into your still pot anyway it just seems like a waste. You're still going to have to rake your mash, wash and clean your still pot before you can run it. You get all kinds of nasty off flavors from all the yeast and nutrients not to mention scorching excetera.
Last edited by RumDummyDrunk on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
But why is the rum gone? Capt Jack Sparrow
Drinking Rum before 9:00am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

RumDummyDrunk wrote:An airlock on top of the boiler. What's the purpose of this? Do they intend you to distill your fermented mash all in one pot? You still have to siphon off or rake your mash into your still pot anyway it just seems like a waste. You're still going to have to rake your mash, wash and clean your still hot before you can run it. You get all kinds of nasty off flavors from all the yeast and nutrients not to mention scorching excetera.
Yes. That is the most stupid detail at this still.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

[/quote]Yes. That is the most stupid detail at this still.[/quote]

Wow... Thanks Der wo.... Just wanted to make sure my Alzheimer's wasn't kicking in...lol
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

You been sold a pup, maybe its ok for oils but thats about it. A good copper pot still built yourself will give you change out of a 100 bux and there it no paper trail for revenuers to chase up
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

The more I think about this still it baffles me. 1st off why would anyone buy a still? That's putting a bullseye on your back in my opinion. 2nd as my previous post says... Bad idea to ferment and distill in same pot. 3rd the materials used are inferior and dangerous. 4th that worm is a joke!! If I was in you position I would send it back for refund.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Boy I'm glad I did ALOT of research before making that mistake. I almost did the same thing and before building a keg still I did A LOT more research.
JayTeeDee
Novice

Post by JayTeeDee »

Lowenthal wrote: If I ever get a response from my email I'm going to see about getting a refund but if that falls through...would it be better to try to fix the issues with this setup, or just toss everything but the boiler and start from scratch? I already have enough 1/2" copper line to make a reasonably sized worm for the boiler capacity. FYI be forewarned. This still was from Ama+TrulyStep on Amazon.com aka FayeLong on AmazonEurope. Don't waste your money on this trash.
Hi, Did you ever get your money back? Or were you able to make it work for you?
Why you babysitting only two or three shots? I'mma show you how to turn it up a notch. First you get a swimming pool full of liquor, then you dive in it!
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

thecroweater wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:51 am You been sold a pup, maybe its ok for oils but thats about it. A good copper pot still built yourself will give you change out of a 100 bux and there it no paper trail for revenuers to chase up
I have this exact same still and yesterday it worked brilliantly. 1st stripping run yesterday produced 2.7l of between 50 to 60 odd % of clean alcohol.
Yes the 2nd pot as a thumper is useless but hey that's life.
I got a £50 refund because of this so it ended up costing me £100. By the time my 1st spirit run is done its probably paid for itself so imho, for a beginner it's a not-too bad buy!!
Some people expect too much maybe from a Chinese company? Btw the seals are all food grade silicon.
I'm looking to either make a good still or looking for someone to make 1 for me so if anyone can help please message me. Thanks
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Alkyholik wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:53 pm Btw the seals are all food grade silicon.
Well thats one good reason not to buy it right there .
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:10 am
Alkyholik wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:53 pm Btw the seals are all food grade silicon.
Well thats one good reason not to buy it right there .
Some folk are too picky lol. I'd drink liquer out a shitey cloot haha. Someone else put up something about the seals the guy uses. They're totally safe seemingly. I'm not worried in the slightest
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Alky I suggest that you read the forum rules slowly and carefully before you continue this conversation.
Pay particular attention to rule "i"
Suggest that you also think about the fact that what is in your still is not food.
Start thinking beyond the bullshit sales talk used by the sellers of these cheap rubbish stills.
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

I grovel before you,writhing on the ground,begging forgiveness lol
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Less time begging and groveling ....and more time using your brain will get you further.
If you don't like the Forum rules feel free to move right along.
Take this as friendly advice to help you understand how things work here.
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:27 am Less time begging and groveling ....and more time using your brain will get you further.
If you don't like the Forum rules feel free to move right along.
Take this as friendly advice to help you understand how things work here.
No problem cheers
WaWalky
Novice

Post by WaWalky »

"Yes. That is the most stupid detail at this still." said Der Wo.

I've made my first distilling steps with the very same set, minus the herb-basket. Cost about 120$, works like hell.
The boiling kettle can also be used as a fermentation basket, by just swapping two valvehandles.
Enjoy life & shine on.
copperpothead
Novice

Post by copperpothead »

Someone above said they could build a copper still for $100. I would like the parts and design please. In the meantime, a little over $100 for the Chinese junk and then a little smart safety modifications will result in a cheap working still....
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

Silicon gaskets can be wrapped in PTFE tape, luckily.

If silicon gaskets were a reason not to buy a still, then nobody would buy a still, because they all have silicon gaskets, from the very cheap to the fairly expensive. That's the way ready-to-use stills are normally sold. My not-at-all-cheap StillDragon still is all built with silicon gaskets (I wrapped them all with PTFE tape). The kettle I use (which is from another producer) also uses a large silicon gasket, and that all is now nicely wrapped up in PTFE tape. A bit boring but it seems a work that can last for a long time.

The real problems I see in this still is the flexible metal hoses. If they are not SS then there certainly is a problem. The problem can be solved by buying flexible SS hose with food certification, which I think I saw on Amazon or eBay etc. Alternatively one could make the connection in copper thus introducing a little copper in the vapour path, which is good.

The fermenter doubling as a kettle can work with this logic: you ferment in the fermenter, then when fermentation is over you rack to a plastic bucket, wash the fermenter-kettle which takes 1 minute, throw the ferment in the kettle and distill. You only need to have a plastic bucket and your kettle doubles as a SS fermenter which doesn't mean you must distill with the yeast in the kettle.

This thing is for people who want a cheap stuff that works, and I agree with those who say it can work with some improvement here and there. The kettle doubling as a fermenter is a sensible move. The average income in China is probably 1/5 than in the US and people buy things that make sense, that are rationally cheap. This thing is cheap but it's not a nonsense.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

Actually the pipe, if suspect, can also be substituted by PTFE tubes which, I suppose, are considered safe.
I see they exist in many sizes and they are presumably flexible:

https://ptfetubeshop.com/it/tubo-in-teflon/