3" CCVM perforated plate column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wooday
Swill Maker

3" CCVM perforated plate column

Post by Wooday »

Last fall I bought some gently used 3" DVW from a member here (copperlover1), and I've finally started my project with it!
20160219_151057.jpg

Here's a crudely rendered image of what the final build will look like.
mockup.jpg
mockup.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: 3" CCVM perforated plate column

Post by DAD300 »

I like it...will be neat to see if the CSST in that placement works.

If you have a keg spear, add it to the bottom of that reducer and let the CSST make the 180 in the reducer
CCVM with Sieve Plates.png
It will get you to a better collection point.

I want to see how the plates work...and like the copper to SS transition.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Interesting. I don't think I have seen this before? The CCVM is a controlled condenser Vapor Management system and you have added perf plates. Hmmmm.
Just curious, how do you feel the plates will improve this design. Will the vapor flow be too restricted to work properly? Just talking out loud. I. have the stand CCVM with scrubbies in the column.
Carry on

Posted same time as DAD300
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I believe the takeoff will work the same as pack column. He'll have as many plates as he adds.

You have scrubbies, I have SPP, he'll have plates and I imagine someone has marbles...I lost mine...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSP-AR-20005
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

GrassHopper wrote:Interesting. I don't think I have seen this before? The CCVM is a controlled condenser Vapor Management system and you have added perf plates. Hmmmm.
Just curious, how do you feel the plates will improve this design. Will the vapor flow be too restricted to work properly? Just talking out loud. I. have the stand CCVM with scrubbies in the column.
Carry on
I'm going for full flavor whisky and brandy in one run, and from what I've seen from other members here, I can get that from 3 to 5 perf plates.

If i want a neutral spirit, I can pull the plate tree and pack it with marbles.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Yeah, OK. Hell, why not? It's certainly easier than making a dephlegmator.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

DAD300 wrote:I believe the takeoff will work the same as pack column. He'll have as many plates as he adds.

You have scrubbies I have SPP, he'll have plates and I imagine someone has marbles...I lost mine...
I have scrubbies in mine and they work well (and can make azeo from low wines), I need to try marbles ( 'Ya I lost mine also). I can't see why plates would work better, perhaps you could educate me.

I guess that I don't understand the advantage of plates over a tightly packed column.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
I guess that I don't understand the advantage of plates over a tightly packed column.
Flute talk -> http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=59216

high proof, high flavor.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

I'm impressed. I think you could be on to something here. Hey, I'm open minded. We will look forward to seeing any
advantages. Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted on the outcome.
Carry on mate
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Wooday wrote:
RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Flute talk -> http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=59216

high proof, high flavor.
It depends, primarily on the reflux ratio. With a CCVM and a packed column, you can easily set the reflux ratio, i.e. number of plates. I'm willing to be proved wrong. I can get both high ABV and flavor in my CCVM, but YMMV as to how you run it.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

I've been pondering this very same thing, except in a 4" flute. In theory, it should work just as well as the CM design. It's on my list for next year's build.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

BayouShine wrote:I've been pondering this very same thing...It's on my list for next year's build.
Next year???? This year is still young. What's wrong with starting that new build now?

Don't put of till tomorrow what you can do today. That'd be "procrastination". :lolno:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Four plates will USUALLY not make as high an ABV, as a packed column. But some people claim the are more consistent and repeatable for high flavor products.
DSP-AR-20005
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Nice work.mate, should work good :thumbup: . I thought some others had done vm over plates?, maybe im mistaken!. Redwoodhillbilly, you don't get the same flavours from packed as you do plates.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

still_stirrin wrote:
BayouShine wrote:I've been pondering this very same thing...It's on my list for next year's build.
Next year???? This year is still young. What's wrong with starting that new build now?

Don't put of till tomorrow what you can do today. That'd be "procrastination". :lolno:
ss
That 4" copper ain't cheap!

Seriously though, I can only do my stillin' during the winter. Once the spring hits, I'll be too busy with work to do any new builds. The one plus is that I'll keep my hands off my barrels for a good long time! :mrgreen:
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

I've pondered this same idea. Just figured it's been done before. Not that I can recall seeing any.

Feel free to correct me, I thought one the advantages of plates over packing is that plates can be ran faster while maintaining high abv%. If not, vodka, neutral or GNS distilleries would be using packing instead of plates. Time=money
snowman_fs
Novice

Post by snowman_fs »

The typical CCVM build is so modular I figured I would eventually get to playing with plates. I already convert my CCVM to "pot" mode when I want.

I would start the hybrid column with only one or two plates on bottom and leave a section of packing below the reflux coil. I worry about flooding the top plate. Just think, the reflux coil can induce 100% reflux.

Hell if we are talking hybrids, I have seen Russian stills with packing on each plate. Keep building, it'll work and be fun to play with.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

DAD300 wrote:Four plates will USUALLY not make as high an ABV, as a packed column. But some people claim the are more consistent and repeatable for high flavor products.

+1.
Congeners get entrained on the plates and continue to re infuse.

For azeo this is an inefficient behavior that can be overcome.
For flavor this is to be exploited.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
copperlover1
Swill Maker

Post by copperlover1 »

Wooday. Looks great. Glad to see you getting started keep the pic coming. I can't wait to hear you results from running plates .
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

When the tee arrives, the build is on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Interesting concept.

Maybe its the matchmaker that can bring the flute and column fanbois together :thumbup:

I hope it works as well as it can
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

The column is assembled!
20160427_130851.jpg
20160427_130840.jpg
Going to clean it and run a couple washes as a pot still while making the plate tree to see if the 5 feet of 1/4"is CSST can take the heat.
copperlover1
Swill Maker

Post by copperlover1 »

Wooday good to see the old pipe turning into something beautiful. So did you ever get your plates made?
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

copperlover1 wrote:Wooday good to see the old pipe turning into something beautiful. So did you ever get your plates made?
Moving there slowly but surely.

Trying to choose between the tried'n'true perf plates spending more money on copper and drill bits, or taking Googe's work with flap plates and running with it, spending more time tweaking the holes to optimize the design.

My budget is maxed out for the time being, so it will take time to save up for sight glasses and hardware for the plate tree.
copperlover1
Swill Maker

Post by copperlover1 »

Wooday I hear you brother. So many choices and so few dollars. I will keep looking in at the post to see how you make out. Can't wait to see.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

I was able to cut out enough plates to make a two 5-plate trees; one with perf plates and one with flaps.

I have these -->http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=720 in 2.21" ordered for my flaps. Should have the tree finished and installed by the end of Friday this week. If there's enough time I'll punch my perf plates (yes, punched, not drilled) and start soldering some down-comers for that.

I can't wait up for sight glasses. I know it's stupid, but I'm going to try to run this by feel.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Wooday wrote: I can't wait up for sight glasses. I know it's stupid, but I'm going to try to run this by feel.
Common wisdom is that you need the glass... Having run a flute quite a bit, I'm not convinced they're 100% necessary. I would just:

1) get up to boil with the dephleg on a little bit until you get to your first drops
2) collect your foreshots at maybe 2-3 drops/second. This draws off your fores and gives the plates time to stack, and for your fractions to separate
3) figure out the best takeoff rate for your still. I still do a barely twisted stream

That's pretty much it. When you hit tails you'll know, as things will slow down and your ABV will drop like a rock.
amber
Novice

Post by amber »

Hi Wooday, are there any updates for this still? Did you finish the plated element of it yet?

I have a good length of 4" copper that I am entering into the research and planning for what to do with it.
My initial ponderings are towards a still similar to these plans, but with the plated section being removable and swappable with a section of packing, or just with the plate tree being removable like your plans, thus switching between a standard ccvm reflux for neutral and a ccvm plated for whiskey and the likes- and keep the 2" pot still for rum and stripping... But, I am new to all this and don't know how the CCVM would work with plates. Can't seem to find much else out there about this.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

amber wrote:Hi Wooday, are there any updates for this still? Did you finish the plated element of it yet?

I have a good length of 4" copper that I am entering into the research and planning for what to do with it.
My initial ponderings are towards a still similar to these plans, but with the plated section being removable and swappable with a section of packing, or just with the plate tree being removable like your plans, thus switching between a standard ccvm reflux for neutral and a ccvm plated for whiskey and the likes- and keep the 2" pot still for rum and stripping... But, I am new to all this and don't know how the CCVM would work with plates. Can't seem to find much else out there about this.
No updates. Just bought a house so I need to do some renovating before I run anything.

I'm making the plate diameter a little smaller and wrapping with extra thick PTFE thread tape to seal the edges. no idea if it will work, but the thin sheet I used deformed too much with a tight fit.
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

bump.. contemplating a 2 plate with packed section for neutral.if making it with a dads style vm condenser, could that eliminate the need for a defleg on a plated column?? ie. replace the defleg with the vm head??

bronctoad