Nuking not imparting much color as I hoped.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Nuking not imparting much color as I hoped.

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

This is a brandy that I made just for practicing aging and flavoring techniques.
This is after 3 rounds of nuking on charred cherry dominos.
Now it looks dark, but if you look closely that's just cause there's bits of char flirting around in there. The brandy itself is a light amber color. I had expected a deep reddish orange after three rounds in the microwave on cherry.

I read up on cherry last night and saw where quite a few people had good results with just using charred cherry and skipping the toasting process, so that's what I did.
Here's how my domino prep looked

Should I back up and punt, only this time do some toasting, like 2 hours at 400?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Bushman
Admin

Re: Nuking not imparting much color as I hoped.

Post by Bushman »

Nuking is mainly used as a Kickstarter not a finished product. Leave the alcohol on your cherry chips and let age. I sometimes use a Ultra Sonic cleaner to add flavor and use wood chips to get it started but I use it as part of a solera method of rotating my aging. This allows me to get more out of my oak barrels.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I thought the nuking was a cheat?
Not quite as good as the real thing but the same effect over the course of a day.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Is bits of charcoal floating in the likker normal? I just filtered mine through a coffee filter to get a better feel of the color and the result wasn't pretty.
It was like amber with a nasty looking grey-greenish hue. Tastes pretty bad too.
Do most people have to do extensive filtering after aging on dominoes?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

No, I have never filtered whiskey only brandies infused in fruit.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:Is bits of charcoal floating in the likker normal? I just filtered mine through a coffee filter to get a better feel of the color and the result wasn't pretty.
It was like amber with a nasty looking grey-greenish hue. Tastes pretty bad too.
Do most people have to do extensive filtering after aging on dominoes?
I don't eat anything blueish or drink anything blueish. :lolno:

But I just leave the charcoal floaties in my drink. Only problem is...... it can sometimes be a little offensive when ya smile. :think:

Hillbilly, have you tried the JD chips? Also, doesn't look like much char on your cherry? For what it's worth, I tried oak using a deep char, a light char, a toast, and no toast. I got the deepest fastest color with the heavy char within 24 hrs, down to almost no color with the light char for the same time. They were all still somewhat harsh until a few months had passed. The best so far is in an oak barrel for over a yr now. Haven't tried cherry, so I will have to defer to those who have. Just sharing my limited experience, with whiskey. Brandy may be different.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I don't really care for Jack Daniels much so the JD chips idea is off putting. I have a wood shop and lots of cut offs and scraps laying around. The more of it I can use the better. The cherry wood I had smelled so sweet and fruity I've been wanting to try it for some time.

I have a little left, maybe I will try and toast it.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am wondering why I have so much charcoal floating if my char was on the light side?

I rinsed the dominoes in hot water before they went into the whiskey.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Back to reading. Thank you to those that replied.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:I am wondering why I have so much charcoal floating if my char was on the light side?

I rinsed the dominoes in hot water before they went into the whiskey.
You're going to have charcoal floaties no matter what you do. Even after a year in the barrel, I still have to filter out what looks like fine charcoal dust from my whiskeys.

Looks to me like you put a light char on your dominoes and the color looks about right for that amount. If you burn them until the surface "crackles", you'll get a lot deeper color. Take a look here. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=56196

When my barrels are all full, I've been using medium charred oak cubes. They do a decent job giving off the deep amber color that most whiskeys have. Here's one of my last bourbon with 50 cubes. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet and I'm just about where I want to be, color wise.
IMG_1587.JPG
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Microwave works best with wood chips.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

jb-texshine wrote:Microwave works best with wood chips.
I do have some apple wood smoking chips, I may try them next.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Apple wood tastes good but gives a light color.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Read the posts regarding toasting and charring your wood... there's more to it than just burning it on the outside...

BBQ sections have other chips than JD one's but you will or may need to oven toast them and or char them to get the most from their use...

If you have fruit wood cut it in thinner strips toast and or char them and give it a go..

Keep on trying till you find the combo that pushes your button...

My last post in the nuking thread was about a barrel aged then nuked and chipped bourbon... almost a year on wood now..

Happy Stillin,

FS

It's kinda like a Doctor does... you just keep practicing nuking... till you get something you enjoy
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

10-4
I'll keep on keepin on.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

GrassHopper wrote: But I just leave the charcoal floaties in my drink. Only problem is...... it can sometimes be a little offensive when ya smile. :think:
Isn't ingesting charcoal a survival trick to make you throw up after eating something poison? Am I making that sh*t up??? :crazy:
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Haus wrote:
GrassHopper wrote: But I just leave the charcoal floaties in my drink. Only problem is...... it can sometimes be a little offensive when ya smile. :think:
Isn't ingesting charcoal a survival trick to make you throw up after eating something poison? Am I making that sh*t up??? :crazy:
Your probably right. I seen a lot's of people in my time throw up after drinking too much store bought likker. Including yours truly. No charcoal needed. :lolno:
The blueish color you mention is kinda baffling? But I always have floaties in my product when putting it on wood that has been charred.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Haus wrote:
I was thinking the same thing earlier. Lol
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

GrassHopper wrote:
Haus wrote:
Your probably right. I seen a lot's of people in my time throw up after drinking too much store bought likker. Including yours truly. No charcoal needed. :lolno:
The blueish color you mention is kinda baffling? But I always have floaties in my product when putting it on wood that has been charred.
It's not exactly blue. I think it's just the Grey tint on top of the amber color playing tricks on my eyes.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

it looks like you just heated those things up and got some propane soot on them.

Light 'em and char them! 1/8" deep when the wood is glowing red through the black, let them burn on their own for half a minute. all 4 sides.

douse with water, give them a good swish around a jar full of water and then into the likker.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I used an acetylene torch and flamed them till the corners glowed. None of the grain cracked though.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Definitely wasn't an 1/8" deep tho.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

turn on the O2 and lay some heat to them. mine will hold a flame on their own for 30 seconds before i douse em.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Have you read the "Oaking and aging The T-Pee way" thread? It really does help. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=50348
Good discussion with a healthy dose of nonsense to keep it fun.

tp
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

T-Pee wrote:Have you read the "Oaking and aging The T-Pee way" thread? It really does help. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=50348
Good discussion with a healthy dose of nonsense to keep it fun.

tp
Yes sir!

Got about 13 pages into your thread. It's bookmarked, so I can continue.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I just spread apple wood chips on a cookie sheet and heat in the oven at 350 for several hours. I get plenty of flavor and color. I leave the charcoal for the grill. :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.