Lil bit-o-bout panela

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Lil bit-o-bout panela

Post by Prairiepiss »

Ok LWTCS I plan on doing a panela ferment after the palm sugar is done. Two 4.5 gal fermenters.
Does this look good?

7 lbs panela
Water to 4.5 gallons
Yeast to taste.
1st gen no dunder. 2nd gen on 1 gal dunder.

On the dunder pit? Going into the winter months now. So sitting it outside is out of the question. So how can I get my funk on?

My wife wants some rum. And I need to make her happy. My hobby funding depends on her happiness. :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Sorry I missed this PP

Dude I'm a Florida cracker. I have no Idea how to funk your dunder in them cold climates..... But some dunder use is still gonna be more depth than none.

Keep the boss happy.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Ah funk it! I will just start a funkin bucket in the alcohol closet. And go from there. Getting some funk is better then not getting any. :mrgreen:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

So it looks like the video link at the begining of this thread is no longer in service.

I just returned very recently from SugarDaddy's sugarcane farm and panela processing "facility"
I'll have a video to post and also here are some pictures.

Here is the view from the porch of the main house.
Attachments
20160320_104008.jpg
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hillside view amongst the canes, looking down on the processing "facility". The building is refereed to as an Enramada. Translates to Arbor.

On this side of the slope, evidently the neighbor on the opposite side used fire to clear his land. The fire skipped over the ridge and then set SugarDaddy's land on fire as well. This ended up destroying a significant portion of sugarcane on Jason's property.
Attachments
20160320_112621.jpg
Last edited by LWTCS on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

That's too bad about the fire. I really enjoyed those videos as well...

Thank you for the pictures! It's absolutely beautiful.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Here are the "pans" used to cook down the juice.
Attachments
20160320_111332.jpg
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Canes ready for the trapeche.
Attachments
20160320_110558.jpg
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

bearriver wrote:That's too bad about the fire. I really enjoyed those videos as well...

Thank you for the pictures! It's absolutely beautiful.
So they are not really on good terms with the neighbors as a result. The neighbor evidently refused to compensate for the losses......What an asshat!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCuRYLYfBY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Nice video of the process! Panela rum is in my future once I burn through 10 gallons of molasses.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

LWTCS wrote:Recon some of the rum snobs might say I've been making Rhum Agricole rather than rum?

Although the juice does get cooked down first.

Semantics?
What say you all?
Or cachaça, aguardente, pinga de tuto or caninha

I really dont care what we call it (Rum is shorter), its damn fine. And it makes my wifeys panties fall down. So life is good!

Edit: Thats a great video Larry. Very cool to see you, Jason and the factory from whence came much panela I have turned into rum. Thanks for posting.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That was an old post.
I really don't think rum from panela is like cachaca or rum agricole at all. As all of the grassy notes have been cooked out of it.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

LWTCS wrote:That was an old post.
I really don't think rum from panela is like cachaca or rum agricole at all. As all of the grassy notes have been cooked out of it.
oh really? interesting. The bricks they were making in the video are a lot lighter in color than the shipments of bricks I got from Jason. Any idea why?

Also, you mentioned 50 lb bags of ground up panela. Are those shipable, or pickup only?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Jimbo wrote:
oh really? interesting. The bricks they were making in the video are a lot lighter in color than the shipments of bricks I got from Jason. Any idea why?

Also, you mentioned 50 lb bags of ground up panela. Are those shipable, or pickup only?
Could be the cooking length Jimbo. Its all hand done and I reckon every cooker has a slightly different take on timing if you see my meaning?

The rub is always the shipping Jimbo :(
When in ground form, I can only get 20lbs into a large USPS flat rate box. I can ship a 50# bag. I would need your postal code to calculate however.

The ground form makes it easier for the pros to work with.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Do you check UPS, FEDEX and USPS?
Sometimes there's a cheaper way to ship large packages, I have shipped a few transmissions and found there's a big difference in cost sending out from where I live depending on whether I use USPS or UPS or FEDEX.
LWTCS wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Could be the cooking length Jimbo. Its all hand done and I reckon every cooker has a slightly different take on timing if you see my meaning?

The rub is always the shipping Jimbo :(
When in ground form, I can only get 20lbs into a large USPS flat rate box. I can ship a 50# bag. I would need your postal code to calculate however.

The ground form makes it easier for the pros to work with.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I check em all pretty regularly.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Thanks for the video, Larry, very cool to see how those sweet rum nuggets are made up, I recognize the shapes.
I've used SD's panela with molasses, and as a straight panela run, and they are my go-to spirits in the summer for daiquiris.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Thanks for the video, Larry, very cool to see how those sweet rum nuggets are made up, I recognize the shapes.
I've used SD's panela with molasses, and as a straight panela run, and they are my go-to spirits in the summer for daiquiris.
Your very welcome.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Thanks for posting that video, Jason showed me one from his phone, you stirring hot juice. Great stuff. I'm fortune enough to have Jason living part time near me, so I keep the fermentor full most of the time. I have a 15 gallon barrel that I filled for the third time, filled it one year ago, and I'm disappointed with the rum, I think re-using a barrel more than two times is pushing it too far. Larry your a great guy to do business with, keep it up, I gave Jason a jar of rum, told him to let you sample it, but I;m betting that jar will never see Florida.

The Ole Bohunk
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

May be time to either refurb that barrel or start dropping in some charred oak sticks.
Bohunk wrote:Thanks for posting that video, Jason showed me one from his phone, you stirring hot juice. Great stuff. I'm fortune enough to have Jason living part time near me, so I keep the fermentor full most of the time. I have a 15 gallon barrel that I filled for the third time, filled it one year ago, and I'm disappointed with the rum, I think re-using a barrel more than two times is pushing it too far. Larry your a great guy to do business with, keep it up, I gave Jason a jar of rum, told him to let you sample it, but I;m betting that jar will never see Florida.

The Ole Bohunk
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

See now was looking forward to using a spent barrel for blond rum creation.
Are you an "oak forward" rum drinker then? Sort of like a whiskey convert?
Bohunk wish you could have been down here to sample some cachacas with me at the Miami Renaissance Rum Festival. Was a wonderful experience.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

There are some domestic species of Brazilian woods that impart such a smooth quality. In truth,,,,for me,,,,it made the oaks finish extremely acrid by comparison.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Bohunk wish you could have been down here to sample some cachacas with me at the Miami Renaissance Rum Festival. Was a wonderful experience.
Ya, Jason showed me some of the more interesting things you guys saw at the festival, So young, so sweet.

The Ole Bohunk
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Today I ran half of my latest batch of rum.
I managed to pull a quart right out of the hearts that is the smoothest thing I've ever tasted.
I will be aging most of this batch in oak barrels that have been used a couple times, but I intend to get at least one more quart of this hearts cut smoothness to save as white rum.
I had to wait until it cooled to the proper temperature and check it to make sure it even had alcohol in it, yep 45%.
I haven't been impressed before with anything straight off the still, until now.
LWTCS wrote:See now was looking forward to using a spent barrel for blond rum creation.
Are you an "oak forward" rum drinker then? Sort of like a whiskey convert?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

50lb sac-o-ground-sweetness coming my way. Perfect amount for 2 runs in the still. Nice that you guys grind it now, was a pain smashing every brick with a hand sledge.

Cheers!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Jimbo wrote:50lb sac-o-ground-sweetness coming my way. Perfect amount for 2 runs in the still. Nice that you guys grind it now, was a pain smashing every brick with a hand sledge.

Cheers!
I typically bring 5 or 6 cups of water to boil in a large stock pot. Then drop a few pounds at a time in the boiling water and stir.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if a group buy could be done somehow.
Assuming that shipping a larger amount would result in a lower price per pound, if several people in a geographical area went together and bought 500 to 1000 pounds?
I realize there would be hurdles, but hurdles are there to be overcome.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Sugar Daddy
Novice

Post by Sugar Daddy »

Jim,

I have your (half quart jar now) rum and I will bring it down to Florida next week. I wanted to drink it (as it is the best stuff you have made to date) but felt guilty. :(

Larry, Bohunk really liked the rum girls pictures from the Miami Rum festival. We do not see stuff like that very often out in the Midwest

We currently have panela in Florida (33404), Nebraska (68127) and So Cal.

We typically ship Fedex & USPS but if you have a cheaper option then you are more than welcome to handle it, we could just forward box dimensions (the shipping companies do not like the 50lb bags by themselves)

We would be happy to process a group buy. We have done it to Canada and a few other places in the States.
Last edited by Sugar Daddy on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.