My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Post by jedneck »

Stopped in at my family's butchershop this morning to talk with my uncle. Its was just a normal stirring a kettle of scrapple conversation and he asked if I was still interested in taking over the business. Its just a small family run custom butcher shop that has been in business for almost 41 years. I knew he was thinking about retiring in a few years but he said that this is gonna be his last year full time. He'll help when needed and help getting started. He's just getting tired of being tied to work. He is currently working 6-7days a week just to stay caught up. I told him I will talk with the SOH and let him know soon as possible.
I now work for the Amish building storage sheds. Been doing it for 13+ years and its is getting hard to go to work knowing that I will feel like an old worn out plow mule at the end of the day. I enjoy the work but I'm starting to get the shits of making somebody else rich. I know it will take some adjusting with income but I'm hoping my current boss will let me work from June to Sept when the shop is closed. If not I made a name for myself as a good dependable reliable worker that shows up and gets the job done. So finding work in my off season shouldn't be to hard.

Unless the SOH is deadset against it I see a career change in my future. It is a touch scary not knowing if I will be able to run a business bit damnit i believe I'm gonna give it a hell of a go. If I'm lucky I might be able bank enuf cushion money I don't have to work in the summer at all. I can stay at home and tend the garden and the animals and just work towards a simpler lifestyle.

Damn I believe this is the most I ever wrote anywhere.
Last edited by jedneck on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Bushman
Admin

Re: My boss is gonna be pissed

Post by Bushman »

Tough decision but at the same time kind of exciting. Sounds like your ready for the change.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

This makes me happy :thumbup: . It always works out, Jed. Better working for yourself than anything else.

Jedneck. Distiller, artist, visionary, and now, entrepreneur :clap: .

Edit. By the way, I have something I want to bring you. Maybe this gives reason for celebration :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Now I know where to get deer logs!! Good luck Jed!! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Reminds me of my dad after 28 years working in the shipyards he opened a tavern. His comment to me is nobody ever gets rich on a Friday paycheck!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

It is something I enjoy. I have been helping him for the past 10 years over deer season. Deer and pigs I got a pretty good handle on I'll need his help leading the cuts on beef.

Shine you are ways welcome here. If you make it soon your kids can see the baby pigs. My sow just had a litter of 11 little bundles of bacon.

Bob I still gotta get the recipe for you, hell when I get it I'll post it here.

Bushman I live a comfortable simple life it don't take a lot to make me happy. A good meal, a good drink and a loving family don't get any better.
big help
Dunder
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Sounds like a great opportunity :thumbup: Living simple is always better and you should always have something to eat. :D
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I came to that crossroad myself jed. Was going to leave my career of 20 years and start trucking. Sadly I chickened out and couldnt pull the trigger. Thought I was too old to start out on my own.

Best of luck to you and hope it works out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Congratulations Jed. I think this may work out just fine.
I can see it now...Jed's Custom Butchering and Corn Grinding.
If you want work in June or July, come see me....Hay harvesting.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

The best thing is that I will be able to pass on the family business to a 4th generation. Some of my best memories are from at dads butchering pigs and having 4 generations together carrying on a dying art.

A-S that will be another perk. I will be able to travel IF I find somebody to tend the animals. And I ain't afraind to throw hay all day.
big help
Dunder
Tater
Admin

Re: My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Post by Tater »

Id say why aint ya at it already,Hardest thing i ever did was go to work for myself , But fact is worst that can happen is it dosnt work out.And people ya working for now could let ya go so theirs nothing to lose but the chance to go self employed.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Very nice, Jed, go for it!
It's something you enjoy, and you're good at it, you will do well. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

This sounds like a great opportunity and a chance for you to change the world you live in! Taking over a family business can be liberating, fulfilling and noble. I wish you the very best of luck and never forget that you bring your unique talents and insight to an Old old business model.. Don't be afraid to change if it is the way you think things should be done.. I can almost guarantee that an 80 yr old business model can be improved upon with your wisdom.. Keep those customers happy and find out what your niche is and chase it.. This sounds really exciting for you!!

Carry On
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Glad to hear opportunity has come knocking for you Jed. Kudos for carrying out another generation of a family tradition and a rare art. I know of people that drive 45 minutes, sometimes more, for a good butcher shop.

I wish I had a honest butcher nearby. The local butcher where I live will tell you that your order is ready, then upon arrival your head of beef is still in their pasture.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

It's a lucky man who can make a living doing something he really enjoys. Congratulations. Just don't burn any bridges on the way out. The rest of your life is a long time.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I'm gonna talk with the boss this week. He knows there was a possibility that I was gonna be taking over the butchershop. I think that we can stay on good terms and I hope he will let me work there on my off season. The biggest bitch is he told me I have a dollar an hour raise coming. And I'm sure he will hate to lose me but he will understand, he was in the same situation when he started his business.

As far as work in the butchershop goes there is already people scheduled for next year. So the work is there and there is money to be made. All I have to do is take the reigns and run with it. I am being handed a well established business and all equiptment. He currently has 2 employees. One is my step brother but he says he might be going elsewhere to work and the other one a good worker. My one brother is gonna prolly want a job but I'm not sure I can work with him full time. I don't think he has the drive to see it succeed and he will wanna be partner. But I will worry about that if it happens.
big help
Dunder
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Starting with a well established business that is proven gives you a huge leap on new businesses as most that fail do so in the first couple years. Go for it!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Bushman wrote:Starting with a well established business that is proven gives you a huge leap on new businesses as most that fail do so in the first couple years. Go for it!
This is very true. I have not had a "job" for almost 30 years. my advice is twofold:
Do the business your way, on your terms, or not at all. Don't let other people change the trajectory of your life, brother included. (i'm lucky that bro is my partner, but he is all the things i'm not in the world of business, so it's a great match.) and don't over-pay your uncle 'cause yer a nice guy...or because he's a nice guy. equipment worth what is is worth and all the goodwill business in the world will only buy you a cup of starbucks, as long as you have a 5$ bill too.
and two: you need to understand taxation and how it applies to business as well as you know a 3 grain ferment. Most of the guys that fail at 2-5 years do so because they spent the government's share. Pay taxes as a source deduction and don't get behind.ever. (p.s. repayment of a capital equipment loan is taxable-not an expense..try not to find this out the hard way.)

congrats! all the decisions you have been making along the way have opened this opportunity for you to take advantage of.

Edit thought: Amish ain't stupid. If you know yer shit and don't dick him around he'll always be happy to find work for you at fair price.
Last edited by HDNB on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I wish you the best Jed, hopefully your boss will understand since he started his business on similar terms. you'll do well! good luck brother!
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Far as I know my uncle is handing equipment and all over at no cost to me. And he will help get me up to speed on all the tax bullshit.
As far as my brother is concerned I will higher him but he won't make as much per hour and will work longer hours. I don't think he has the dedication or drive to help keep it successful.
big help
Dunder
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I hope all works out well for you jed!

B
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

jedneck,

This sounds like a great opportunity, I am so happy for you. You will bring a uniqueness to this business that will certainly attract customers from miles and miles away.

Contests and good luck.
I'm goin the distance...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Great news, jedneck...

It sounds like the infrastructure is already in place so taking over shouldn't be all that difficult... And, considering how your uncle will be handing over the reigns and helping you along, my personal advice would be to NOT enter this venture thinking you need to make monumental changes at the outset... If it ain't broke, don't try breaking it...

Good luck... :thumbup:
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

You have been handed a gold mine. But, not all gold mines are equal. You have to find the gold. Buy out your brother.
You don't want any strings attached. This is YOUR opportunity and you don't need any ties!
I have a friend who is a butcher that made a successful lifetime business out of meat cutting. He was an entrepreneur in that he saw the potential for how to make it work. He not only had a butcher shop, but he created two other successful businesses on either side of him that drew the public and enhanced his own business. One was a produce market, and the others was a health food store. He owns them all. The businesses have become a hallmark to shoppers in the area.

I was making really good money when I was young. But, I wanted to be my own boss. I quit my good paying job, and went for my dream of being a sign painter. Yes, I starved for a while. But I persevered to learn the craft at all costs. I worked for a shop for a time to learn the trade and then jumped in head first and started my own business. That lasted some 30 years. I have had at least a half dozen businesses of my own. I currently run 5 online businesses. I am retired! Nuff said. Just do it!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I'm not gonna change anything. I ain't broke so I ain't gonna fix it. I'd say 75% of the business is return customers with some scheduling a year in advance so they can get in when the want. I'll worry about the brother when its time to cross that bridge.

I did have a good talk with the wife about it today and she is supportive. She said she would even be willing to help in the shop IF needed. Gonna try and corner the boss this week to tell him.
big help
Dunder
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Jed:
It sounds like you may have the opportunity to look at the business with a new eye to see if there's new opportunities or ways of doing the work so not to have to work 6-7 days a week in season. Could be very interesting!

"You betcha! Okay then."
-Just need something else to build. -
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

jedneck wrote:.... A good meal, a good drink and a loving family don't get any better.
could not have said it better myself :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Gave the boss a heads up yesterday. He didn't seem really surprised. When I asked about work on my off season he said he would have to think about it. He isn't a fan of part time help, yet he has 3 guys that are part time. To me part time is not working a full week most ever week. The one guy only works 4 days a week and I'm the one that pulls his slack. Then a few hours later he asks me if I'll make xx,xxx a year. The number wasn't that much larger than what I make now. Going by my gut feeling I'll be surprised if I work there after this summer. That's OK I'd rather have to pick cans along the road to keep the family fed than work for a forking hypocrite.
Gonna tell uncle to count me in, its time for a change.
big help
Dunder
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

It's a tough call to ask a boss/owner to speculate on the future of part time workers irregardless of who's doing the asking.JMHO.

Wishing you the best no matter the path you choose.

I need cloth casings for my deer bologna (hint, hint)LOL.Can you get me a price, please ???

Still have your keg in the truck of my car and will be your area on May 15th. 8)
Blah, blah, blah,........
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Hermit I agree on the speculation of part time workers. What gets my goat is he says he don't like part timers but he has one full time part timer. The other two are kids and are only allowed to work so many hours. I'll worry about work when I'm gettin ready to need it.
big help
Dunder