Calcium Carbonate

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Calcium Carbonate

Post by Bohunk »

While shopping at my local farm store, I came across "Sweet Barn Lime". Bag says for dairy barn cleaning. On the back of the bag it says " High Purity Calcium Carbonate ". 50 lbs bag for $ 5.99, so I wonder if this can be used instead of oyster shell ??

Thanks
The Ole Bohunk
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Calcium Carbonate

Post by der wo »

Yes. And 50lbs is enough for a long long time... :lol:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Hmmm BoHunk is alive... i know he don't answer his phone when someone tries to call.... :lol: just figured he didn't have cell service in heaven...

happy stillin,

FS

call if and when you can sir
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Because it is a powder it has huge surface area compared to whole shells, so it won't act as a buffer the same way. It's pretty hard to stuff up using whole shells and you can usually get away with just chucking in a handful and forgetting about pH.

Add this stuff with caution, measuring and recording pH changes to learn how to use it.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The calcium carbonate for gardening is not really fine milled normally. But even if, it's not possible to rise the pH in a yeast unfriendly range with it because somewhere at pH 4-5 it stops solving. I experimented with pure and hot backset directly from the still. I dumped in more and more powdered calcium carbonate, but the pH didn't go over 4.5. The most of it remained unsolved at the bottom, even after a few days.
Imo you can chuck in and forget just like with shells. I usually use 1tbs per 10l mash or wash. The most of it will be unsolved after fermentation.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Thanks for the response, the bag says " course ground ", but I have oyster shells, and will continue using that. Just interested in this form, a small 4 oz bottle of Calcium Carbonate costs $ 2.99, and a fifty pound bag of this costs $ 5.99. I might just pick up a bag, if I never use it, I'll think I beat the system.
Tim, sorry but I almost never carry my phone, but we'll talk again one day. Thought you'd have forgotten me by now !!

The Ole Bohunk
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Ha ha. I could have bought a 2lb bag of slaked lime, but spent a dollar more and ended up with a 56lb bag that filled up two of my fermenters. I hardly ever use It.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Calcium carbonate will correct pH faster than shells but if it isn't ground too fine it will have a similar buffering effect... Excessively fine calcium carbonate can potentially over-correct pH and should be used sparingly over time...