Frustum of a cone

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Frustum of a cone

Post by skow69 »

There have been several requests recently for a way to lay out a template for a cone. Here is the old school, low tech method. All you need is a measuring stick and compass. If it is not clear, please ask.
frustum.jpg
conicalfrustum.gif
conicalfrustum.gif (1.81 KiB) Viewed 19673 times
1) Draw the vertical origin line.
2) Draw r2 and r1.
3) Draw the diagonal to locate point F.
4) Draw the arcs extended from r2 and r1.
5) Calculate the circumference of the base c2. Divide by 20.
6) Set your compass to the distance c2/20.
7) Walk your compass 20 steps along the arc of r2. This will be the distance c2.
8) Draw a line from that point through F.
9) The purple area is your template.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Frustum of a cone

Post by Kareltje »

Nice! I like the clean, simple way to make an important and difficult to handle part!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Thanks for posting the info :thumbup:
Since I'm almost mathematically illiterate :oops:
I've been using paper, tape and scissors to make Frustum templates :lol:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I once used this method to make a BIAB. It worked good. The method better than the bag...
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Stinkehinke
Novice

Post by Stinkehinke »

Love it. I learnt this in trade school and have used it many times. Circles are difficult, cones are more so. One of the best bits of maths that I know.
grousehunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by grousehunter »

Thanks skow69. Very useful.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Stinkehinke wrote:...Circles are difficult, cones are more so...
The "cone of frustration".
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Finally! A use for that geometry crap they made you take in high school.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Nice write-up... I prefer the method Dan P. described in his Frustum/cone development for lyne arm etc. topic... Virtually no math required... That was the method I learned to make frustum patterns by years ago... Been using the method recently in preparation for making a dust separator... Software works great but if you don't have a plotter it's easier to do hand drawn layout instead of piecing standard printer paper sheets together, IMHO... Just wanted to offer up another option for those who haven't stumbled across this alternate method...
SpiritOf76
Novice

Post by SpiritOf76 »

this website uses only imperial measurements, but it will create a template you can print and layout on your copper.

https://www.blocklayer.com/cone-patternseng.aspx
in search of a clever signature...
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Easiest layout I have found is ConeCalc. Plug the large diameter , the small diameter and the height needed into the program and it will give you the layout for that cone. Just make sure you put the diameters in the proper slot. https://i-logic.com/conecalc/
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

SpiritOf76 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:12 am this website uses only imperial measurements, but it will create a template you can print and layout on your copper.

https://www.blocklayer.com/cone-patternseng.aspx
corene1 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:00 pm Easiest layout I have found is ConeCalc. Plug the large diameter , the small diameter and the height needed into the program and it will give you the layout for that cone. Just make sure you put the diameters in the proper slot. https://i-logic.com/conecalc/
Both these are good. The plus side of the one is it's on your computer in case the internet fails, kinda common around here. Thanks
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a program called Rhinoceros that I use it allows me to make a 3D model which I can calculate the volume. From here I can do a roll-out that will lay it out in 2D with both the top and bottom. What it doesn’t do is add the tabs. I have done several layouts for other members along with my own build. It’s not a really high end software but is a bit expensive for just our use. I was given the software from the company as I used to do training for teachers in our state. I also used it for my dephlagmater and converted to CNC code to cut the parts.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Bushman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:44 pm I have a program called Rhinoceros that I use it allows me to make a 3D model which I can calculate the volume. From here I can do a roll-out that will lay it out in 2D with both the top and bottom. What it doesn’t do is add the tabs. I have done several layouts for other members along with my own build. It’s not a really high end software but is a bit expensive for just our use. I was given the software from the company as I used to do training for teachers in our state. I also used it for my dephlagmater and converted to CNC code to cut the parts.
I've been trying to get Autocad to lay flat a model, but its not a good software for that, seen Rhino mentioned, but also costly.

I found this website useful to do the hard work that skow69 shares. https://craig-russell.co.uk/cone-calculator/

Then some quick 2D autocad work and I've got a flat cone. For curved surfaces like a whiskey ball, or dome-top, I just find the length of the Arc, which autocad nicely tells you, and use that for the height, should account for the excess material needed, so you can "squash" the cone down, and make it bulge out (with some copper-working) and have your curved surface. Works in theory anyways.

Trying to figure out how to best flatten, a reducing swan-neck. 4" to 2" and something like a 135 degree angle.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:42 am Trying to figure out how to best flatten, a reducing swan-neck. 4" to 2" and something like a 135 degree angle.
I use the sheet metal feature in Solidworks for stuff like this. If you can provide a sketch or pic of what you're looking for, I can draw it up for you next week.