I had to take a break for a while due to too much talk.

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jsanders420
Novice

I had to take a break for a while due to too much talk.

Post by jsanders420 »

I'm just putting this out here to chat about. A couple if years ago I was making some really good stuff. It was out of a reflux so there wasn't hardly any taste and I either flavored it, like apple pie, stored on charred white oak or just watered down like vodka. The problem I saw was people were talking to much! So I quit. Heck, I'm friends with the guy who was sheriff at the time. It's about time I think to get back into it and I am pretty fired up. I have truly missed it.

That's it.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I had to take a break for a while due to too much talk.

Post by Deerhunter »

who did the talking?
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
jsanders420
Novice

Post by jsanders420 »

A few people. Its all done now... Since I quit. Lol
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Quick solution to the problem... Stop letting people know about your secret illegal hobby, quit sharing, and definitely NEVER sell... Any problems you had, you brought upon yourself... If you're back at it, be a bit wiser this time around...
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Rad14701 is right. If you want something to be a secret, never tell anyone about it.
Never ever! Not even to someone who is (or seems) a colleague.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Kareltje wrote:Rad14701 is right. If you want something to be a secret, never tell anyone about it.
Yep... As I've mentioned here a few times, my ex SOH and I were together for 22 years and even she never knew about my participation in this hobby...
jsanders420
Novice

Post by jsanders420 »

I know, I get it. I shared some and that's how it happened. I never talk to anybody about it and won't be sharing anymore either. More for me, yuppers! :thumbup:
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

This exactly why I haven't started yet. One of my family members has a big mouth and an axe to grind. She moved out of my home. But I'm still very hesitant. If I start its going to have to be hidden from the kids. It would be easy to hide/disguise a small still. Easy to run it when they are at school. I work nights. But having a fermentor in the closet. No way to hide that.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

city shiner wrote:This exactly why I haven't started yet. One of my family members has a big mouth and an axe to grind. She moved out of my home. But I'm still very hesitant. If I start its going to have to be hidden from the kids. It would be easy to hide/disguise a small still. Easy to run it when they are at school. I work nights. But having a fermentor in the closet. No way to hide that.
lol...I keep my fermentors in the bathroom in my bedroom. I never let the kids use my bathroom. They have their own.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

city shiner wrote:This exactly why I haven't started yet. One of my family members has a big mouth and an axe to grind. She moved out of my home. But I'm still very hesitant. If I start its going to have to be hidden from the kids. It would be easy to hide/disguise a small still. Easy to run it when they are at school. I work nights. But having a fermentor in the closet. No way to hide that.
Make a few bottles of beer, keep some around so if anyone sees your fermenter you can offer them a beer from the last batch you made!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

rad14701 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:Rad14701 is right. If you want something to be a secret, never tell anyone about it.
Yep... As I've mentioned here a few times, my ex SOH and I were together for 22 years and even she never knew about my participation in this hobby...
You sir, should have been in the CIA or MI6, my SOH knows when I fart 20 miles away! :lol:
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Lots of condemnation about your hobby getting around. OK, we all know don't do that.

Welcome back to the hobby you shouldn't do, and can't speak about. I bet round two is great.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

StillLearning1 wrote:
Make a few bottles of beer, keep some around so if anyone sees your fermenter you can offer them a beer from the last batch you made!
Make it cheap beer and soak the labels off. That way, they get a drink but aren't mega impressed and don't try to get you to make them more.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Greenthorn wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
You sir, should have been in the CIA or MI6, my SOH knows when I fart 20 miles away! :lol:
How do you know he isn't? ;-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

Been there, too. Just thinking about getting back in after nearly a year off.
jsanders420
Novice

Post by jsanders420 »

Hidalgo, I remember you when I was here last!! I don't remember what my user name was then, hell, I was making likker!! Good to hear from you.
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

Mikey-moo wrote:
StillLearning1 wrote:
Make it cheap beer and soak the labels off. That way, they get a drink but aren't mega impressed and don't try to get you to make them more.
Both excellent ideas, extract and partial mash brewing have come a long way.
budy
Novice

Post by budy »

StillLearning1 wrote:
Every now and then someone notices something I'm doing or carrying and asks about it . Those people think I'm the worst brewer in the world because my batches always seem to get infected and I never have any beer to show for my efforts.
jsanders420
Novice

Post by jsanders420 »

I tell the people at the stores that ask about the sugar I buy that we are having a church bakesale.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

budy wrote:Every now and then someone notices something I'm doing or carrying and asks about it . Those people think I'm the worst brewer in the world because my batches always seem to get infected and I never have any beer to show for my efforts.
That's funny!

I was thinking about brewing beer again (after a 20 year hiatus) as cover for all the buckets and stockpots I have around the house. My girlfriend doesn't know and I have no reason to spill the beans

Was thinking about some light corn beer or dry hopping and priming an Uncle Jesse's.
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

Good to be back. Now I just need to get my still out of hiding and fire it up.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Sometimes you just don't know how good you have it. Half the guy on th lake where I live have those store bought airdistillers and it's freely talked about everywhere. The local beer and wine stores sells all the airdistillers and essences etc. Cops and everyone else here openly distill their own."yeah it legal like beer and wine"
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Wow, atrocious spelling and sentence structure on my black berry, sorry.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

goinbroke2 wrote: :roll: Cops and everyone else here openly distill their own."yeah it legal like beer and wine"
That is the general assumption around where I live. I still keep my mouth shut
johns455
Novice

Post by johns455 »

I make wine which is completely legal here, (go figure lol) so anyone who sees me fermenting has no reason to ask what its for :D My little still is very easy to break down and store, and looks nothing like what it is, except for maybe the condensing coil, and I live in BFE, so no nosey neighbors to causes problems.
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

Post by varocketry »

I went to a party two weeks ago given by my wife's colleagues - her peer was the host and her boss attending. I'm not there ten minutes saying hi to a group of men I've never met and one says "we were hoping you'd bring some of your good stuff to sample." You coulda knocked me over with a feather.

My wife's boss is an extroverted former party girl that apparently is loose lipped and my my wife confides in her collegues. Seems she mentioned my hobby before we even arrived.

Sure gave me pause .......

PS I keep my copper modular and mostly packed away. But the six gallon glass carboys and foil covered keg sticks out in the shed.
-Just need something else to build. -
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

Post by Truckinbutch »

varocketry wrote:I went to a party two weeks ago given by my wife's colleagues - her peer was the host and her boss attending. I'm not there ten minutes saying hi to a group of men I've never met and one says "we were hoping you'd bring some of your good stuff to sample." You coulda knocked me over with a feather.

My wife's boss is an extroverted former party girl that apparently is loose lipped and my my wife confides in her collegues. Seems she mentioned my hobby before we even arrived.

Sure gave me pause .......

PS I keep my copper modular and mostly packed away. But the six gallon glass carboys and foil covered keg sticks out in the shed.
Low information voters have a tendency to talk out of turn . That's why you don't allow them in the loop .
The folks that attended my party that were not part of the group had been thoroughly vetted and schooled on their required behavior .
'I never made no likker and i don't know NOTHIN about it '.....................................
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Can some one please tell me what does SOH mean ?

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Significant Other Half ?

Oh and piss that Tapatlk crap off !
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Pikey wrote:Significant Other Half ?
Yes