My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Post by jedneck »

Holy lit this summer flew, 27 days till i step into the mad house. Already booked into mid Jan.

and uncle is on the mend. Still not much feelin in his hand and no strength. He'll be able to help a little but mainly he is supervisor and secratary till I get up to speed.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'm sure you will be up to the task .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Life's about to change, Jed.
Life's about to change Jed.
Change is good!
As you do, you'll do well. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
googe
retired

Post by googe »

awesome stuff jed, with your love of anything food, i reckon you'll go a long way in this venture :thumbup: . I'm imagining some yummy flavoured sausages and cold cuts and rubs? droll! lol. Nice to see your daughters imvolved, sound like the one vacuum packing has a good work ethic. Wish you all the best mate, wish i lived closer to buy something and help. Good luck.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

tommarrow morning is the day.aint gonna be no rest for me. scedule is already full to end of jan. 20+ hogs and a few beef in the 1st week are on the scedule.

The next chapter in the life of Jed is just a few hours away
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

:thumbup: That's great, Jed, yer gonna kill it! :clap:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I'm so happy for you. Only going to stick freezer with jed cuts from now on! :clap:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We are all behind you , Brother . You butcher like you still and this venture is gonna make you rich .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

dunno about rich but well fed.
big help
Dunder
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Jed, how you kill the Hogs?
We used to Chootem in the head with a 22 rifle.....I remember one time a hog jumped as the rifle fired and got shot in the foot. Damn pissed off hog.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

yup use a 22lr. if that dont work we use a 22mag. had a sow last year that took 3 22lr and 4 22 mag in the head. old girl didnt wanna go down. and all where money shots
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Double skulled hogs happen . Squealing one was a guaranteed ass kickin when I was a kid . The hog shootin was a rite of passage for us kids . We squealed one and an adult put it down with the next shot ;then the ass kickin started .
If The adult failed to make a kill shot then a back of the head shot was used and the kid got spared the ass kickin .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

That .22 short round wasn't supposed to kill that hog , nohow . It was just supposed to knock it out enough that an adult could jump in the pen and cut it's jugular vein so it could bleed out good . Shocky(squealed)hogs held more blood in the meat . That was undesirable for keepin cured meat .
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Used to work in a plant that put buffalo down with black powder. If they had to reload...interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I always used to try to pop them behind the ear... If they don't drop on the first shot they might get worked up and the adrenal glands can dump and from what I've been told that can cause a slight tainting of the meat if you don't get them dropped with a quick second shot... Could be just a bunch of BS but always wanted a good quick and humane kill...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

as many may have noticed i haven't been around much lately. thought i would give an update.just completed a hell week. on last friday evenin i had 12 beef, 8 hogs 10 deer and one bear hangin in the cooler. there is now 5 deer in the coolerand a bumch of curing meat(and i won't say how many hours i worked this week). no more killen for the next few weeks cause it is deer season here on monday. the next 2 weeks will see 150-250 deer come in then after that back to beef and hogs shortly after new years.

could also maybe use another knive slinger if anyone is local.
big help
Dunder
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Damn Jed!
Good to hear from you but I knew what you were doing.
I just sold an old Angus Bull today for $.70 a pound, will make a helluva lot of hamburger, wish we were closer and we would have hung hiss ass up today.
Cattle prices are in the toilet.... Hamburger should be $.99 a pound.
Careful with sharp, pointy things buddy.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

i'm only 9 hours away haul em here and i will burger him for 1/4 of the burger
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Ha, way to go Jed! :thumbup:
Happy to hear you are off and runnin.

Remember that you can't do it all, and shouldn't try to.
Good to see ya reaching out for a helper, I hope you can get someone in there that can do a good job with ya and take a bit of the load.

Exciting running yer own show isn't it.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

i believe i learned more in 3 days watchng uncle on the saw than i learned in the last 2 months. it was just litlle stupid things but a foot step saved is money in my pocket.

i got one employee that is worthmore than i pay her. the other is prt of the deal. its my step brother. he was part of the deal with taken the reigns. he has adhd or sum shit. good at his rutine but mess up rutine and his day facked. ikew this before i took the reigns and other employee is good with him. But uncle pulled alot of his slack and we hold him accountable for hi fack ups.
but i took to it like a hog to a mud hole in august
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Nothin like job security . Nephew killed one of them cheap hogs I told you about and ground it . Seasoned some and just ground the rest . He broke even selling for $3 a pound with 80# left to sell at $3@ . Day well spent for him working by himself .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

i started this new chapter thinken i'd rather cut hogs. 2 months in i believe i'd rather cut beef. for the time i believe beef are more $$ even though hogs pay more per pound.

WHERE"S THE BEEF
big help
Dunder
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Grandpa used an old blunderbuster , only once seen/heard of a mess up. Aunty was bleeding it in a basin and stirring it for black pudding when the hog come to and the goat roping began , reckon he reloaded quick as a lever action less the careful measuring of powder :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice Jed! Sounds like your keeping busy.

Not sure if you are in Mennonite country. But as a kid was always a hit to get some farmers sausage from the Mennonites.

We always purchased the 50% beef 50% pork. Was nothing other than salt, pepper and cure, then cold smoked.

Google found this looks similar

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1533 ... rs-sausage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Only difference is this was typicalling in larger diameter casing and was cold smoked for a long time upto a couple weeks while the hams cold smoked for 4-6 weeks in the smokehouse. As a kid I remmebr visiting for xmas and going to the smokehouse to get the ham.. OMG it smelt good. The place was hanging full of ham, bacon sausage still..

To cook it you fry it fast in a frying pan after cutting diamond shap in the casing.. was impotant ot not over cook as was couarsly ground and also very lean. Also at the last minute they normall pored a little vinager i the pan to cut any grease. Added to the flavour but not a vinager flavour.. just tast a little different if missing.

I bet it would be a hit for you also.

B
justsomeguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by justsomeguy »

Jed, I dont know how you do it. I just processed my first deer all by myself. Getting the backstraps and tenderloins was easy. Cutting the roast off the hind quarters was a PITA. Everything else became ground venison and jerky after that because I dont know what the hell I am doing. I may have to drive to the mother state and gove you a week of free labor to learn.
45 ACP..... Turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911
MichiganCornhusker
retired

So, Jed, how's it goin?
I bet no regrets, busy as hell, and lovin every minute of it.
(Ok, almost every minute of it)
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Goin well, only regret is when I gotta even up with the tax man. Be shuttin downnfor a few konths over the summer bit have good bit of work sceduled for fall when start back up. Rough cont for the season is
110 beef
130hogs
14 lambs
200-250 deer
2 bears
had a good season
big help
Dunder
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Jed - just came across this thread now and read it. Well done and I wish you the very best of luck and prosperity in the future. I have been self employed for the last 20 plus years. 2 items to comment on
1. Old school marketing - send out happy punters and it will reap rewards long term.
2. Get the legal stuff sorted out NOW! Make sure you have a legally binding agreement with the uncle because I do not want to see you spend the next few years in your "uncles" business, only for the uncle to die and a family member fuck you over looking for their "share" - this generally means you loose your business

I dont mean to throw cold water on your venture, the opposite - I want to see you succeed long term. Go for it.
Lko67
Novice

Post by Lko67 »

All you have to Remember is you'll never get rich working for someone else. I was an auto mechanic,worked for a dealership for 16 years, took every opportunity for schooling I could. Then went out on my own, made more in the nine years on my own then the 16 at dealership but I will say get disability insurance, was the only thing that saved me. Got Lyme and had to sell but was saved by disability. Please get disability insurance!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Jimy Dee wrote:Jed - just came across this thread now and read it. Well done and I wish you the very best of luck and prosperity in the future. I have been self employed for the last 20 plus years.

............2. Get the legal stuff sorted out NOW! Make sure you have a legally binding agreement with the uncle because I do not want to see you spend the next few years in your "uncles" business, only for the uncle to die and a family member fuck you over looking for their "share" - this generally means you loose your business

I dont mean to throw cold water on your venture, the opposite - I want to see you succeed long term. Go for it.
Ditto ...

There is a saying over here - Never go into business with "family" or "friends"

I wish you all the very best and see you are a real grafter (that means "hard worker" in uk English) - PLease DO make sure your terms are water-tight and written down, witnessed and approved by your legals !

I spend a lot of my time on "legal stuff" and the importance of what Jimy Dee says cannot be over-empasised.

Who owns the premises ? is it an incorporated business ? Are you trading under your own name - or does "uncle" still have an interest ? - if so it must be quantified and restricted.

Please do not take on "Partners" - "Share of the profits" is ok provided you have the ability to turf them out, without compensation.

Our law is different from yours - but principles remain principles. Take proper advice from a lawyer you trust ! (if there is such a thing) :roll:

All the very best

p