Oaking and aging the T-Pee way

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

azwhiskey
Novice

Re: Oaking and aging the T-Pee way

Post by azwhiskey »

I think the pinhole would not allow any pressure to build up. Don't we want pressure/ vacuum cycles?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

If you want to copy barrel aging a pinhole helps much.
If you want oaking only, different pressure would help. But the normal pressure fluctuation is by far not as strong as for example pressure cycles with a microwave.
I age with pinholes.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

der wo wrote:If you want to copy barrel aging a pinhole helps much.
If you want oaking only, different pressure would help. But the normal pressure fluctuation is by far not as strong as for example pressure cycles with a microwave.
I age with pinholes.
Yep. Think "Angels Share". Nothing big by any stretch. The smallest you can make it, at least that's what I did. Took great pains to make it as small as I could
"Time flies when your having Rum"
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

A 1l bottle with 3 pinholes (diam 2mm), covered with 7 layers coffee filters will have shared to the angels about 20% of your spirit after one year... at least in my apartment at normal room temps and not much air movement.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

I live in an area where the temps outside run mid-30's F (3-4 C) to 60's, maybe low 70's in the day (15-21 C). I have my half gallon jars in the uninsulated garage, hidden in the corner covered with a small tarp. I made my pinholes as small as possible. I actually took the smallest hole punch I could find and started the hole but didn't go all the way through. Then I actually got a heavy duty sewing needle (think leather or upholstery style sewing) and slowly punctured to make it as small as possible. Do that for two reasons: to me it resembles the barrel more. The amount lost to the Angels isn't due to actual circulation. One hole in a half gallon jar, to me mimics the 53 gallons. 2, I put my jars outside and the thought that ANY bug could crawl in my likker gives me the heeby jeebies. Smaller and 1 has always worked for me. To each their own. I think if you actually use time, like 6 months or more, this would all be academic. If your drinking it after a month, you'll taste differences.
"Time flies when your having Rum"
Gish
Novice

Post by Gish »

A question for the group. I am using toasted used bourbon barrel chunks that were made for smoking. https://www.amazon.com/CharcoalStore-Bo ... ood+chunks. I toasted them and propane charred them all the way around. My question is, how many of these do you guys think I should put in a half gallon jar? I have 2 per jar right now, but the surface area of the chunks is not very much. Chunks are about 2x2x1.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Yours are probably half the size of mine and these were based on T's original pieces....so...two of yours?...Kiwi
Attachments
These are my copies
These are my copies
Getting hung up all day on smiles
LukeDuke
Novice

Post by LukeDuke »

I believe two would be sufficient as well.
~ LukeDuke
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Gish wrote:A question for the group. I am using toasted used bourbon barrel chunks that were made for smoking. https://www.amazon.com/CharcoalStore-Bo ... ood+chunks. I toasted them and propane charred them all the way around. My question is, how many of these do you guys think I should put in a half gallon jar? I have 2 per jar right now, but the surface area of the chunks is not very much. Chunks are about 2x2x1.

I picked these up about a month ago as well. Since they're only toasted on one side I was planning on sanding the char down, splitting them into about 1" sticks and roasting them, much like yourself. I will follow this with the blowtorch char. This way all the sides are charred.

My pieces are averaging about 3 inches long so roughly 14cm2 of surface are (1X1X3 calculation). I will put 5-6 per gallon for an average of around 22cm2/liter

Your 2x2x1 inches gives about 16cm2.(http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculato ... cearea.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow). 3.8 liters per gallon so 1.9 liters total for 1/2 gallon...22 x 1.9 about 42cm2. 42/16= 2.6. See how 2 sticks does and then you have room for another possibly.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
brouwpa
Novice

Post by brouwpa »

I have an oak question! In the uk I can only find kiln dried American White Oak. If I leave it outside to weather for the winter, would this remove the harsh tannins and allow me to toast and char it next summer? Thanks for your patience.
As a newbie it seems I need to start with gin (I like gin) and plan ahead for whisky?
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

brouwpa wrote:I have an oak question! In the uk I can only find kiln dried American White Oak. If I leave it outside to weather for the winter, would this remove the harsh tannins and allow me to toast and char it next summer? Thanks for your patience.
As a newbie it seems I need to start with gin (I like gin) and plan ahead for whisky?
That sounds sensible to me. I've seen info that cooperages weather their wood for between four months and five years. They believe strongly that it is essential. I have had enough experience with unseasoned/unweathered oak to believe them.

I recommend you buy a board, chop and rip it into sticks, and stack it outside like a loose Jenga tower. Label the stack. (Date, species, origin, whatever).

Compared to the venerable slow traditions, we often take shortcuts. Some of them work pretty well, I'm told. But planning ahead may result in a spirit which you are more completely proud of. :)

Cheers.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

brouwpa wrote:I have an oak question! In the uk I can only find kiln dried American White Oak. If I leave it outside to weather for the winter, would this remove the harsh tannins and allow me to toast and char it next summer? Thanks for your patience.
Where did you find the American white oak? Online? Then please post the link. Sources of white oak are rare in Europe. You could use hot water to accelerate the seasoning process.
Or you could buy Jack Daniels smoking blocks, if you find some. In my country they are sold out at the moment. They wouldn't need seasoning, because they are already seasoned.
brouwpa
Novice

Post by brouwpa »

I found the American White oak offcuts on ebay! And have also bought some JD/Whisky chips from the same place! Just planning long term with the white oak
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

brouwpa wrote:I found the American White oak offcuts on ebay! And have also bought some JD/Whisky chips from the same place! Just planning long term with the white oak
You are right. I found it at ebay.co.uk
The JD chips are not the same as the blocks or chunks. From the blocks you can make sticks, the chips are too small.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

I've been wondering, why do you char the wood? If toasting it provides the flavors, what does the char do? Does it act as filter to filter out impurities? Help provide color? What's the point of charring and what's it impact on the whiskey?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

PTS_35 wrote:I've been wondering, why do you char the wood? If toasting it provides the flavors, what does the char do? Does it act as filter to filter out impurities? Help provide color? What's the point of charring and what's it impact on the whiskey?
Here...have a read:
https://redheadoakbarrels.com/why-are-a ... s-charred/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.gobourbon.com/using-oak-barr ... e-whiskey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/what-are- ... ey-tastes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Kinda like cracking a nut plus carmelizing. Gotta open the pores.

tp
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Still stirrin, thanks for those links. Look forward to reading them
Rick Martin
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Phiadelphia Eagles Country (next year Super Bowl bound asusual)

Post by Rick Martin »

I have had the pleasure of reading this Topic front beginning to end. Wow what an education!! I know TP just wanted to post his method for others to learn but man did it explode. Thank you TP. The knowledge I gained was how to do it but how different woods, levels of toast, and levels of char effects the taste along with the description of how each ended up tasting. This has been maybe the most valuable. I think from the various taste description I was able to find a good starting point that will work with my likes. Another thing I also learned, from here and UJSSM, is that if it doesn’t taste good now just wait and the flavor will change.
Since I won't be able to start till the weather gets warmer, I went to the local State owned store and purchased a bottle of unflavored legal moonshine. Along with that I purchased medium toast white oak chips. Took half of the bottle added a handful of rinsed chips. Now I will be able to see and taste the changes. This is just for learning. I will try char later. When I am sure I have what I want then I will use sticks in the spirits I will make and want to oak.

By the way I have been reading UJSSM from the beginning and TP your comments are funny. Keep them coming.

Rick
Water boiling enthusiast

Support the HDA - working to make Home Distilling legal.
https://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Life is an learning experience
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Yeah, well, they keep letting me out for the weekend.

Using likker at drinking proof may not be the best comparison as most of us oak at 55%-60% or "cask strength". It'l'l make a difference.

Glad you enjoy my nonsense. I can't help it. Ask Corene...then again, don't ask Corene. She's almost as crazy as I am.

tp
vernue
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vernue »

would one use a different wood or a different toast/roast for aging a single malt? just ran my first single malt and was wondering what to do with it. Thanks.
Both me and my whiskey are ageing. I hope my whiskey finishes first.
5 g. clawhammer
50 l. homemade pot still
5 l alembic for alchemy and experiments
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

vernue wrote:would one use a different wood or a different toast/roast for aging a single malt? just ran my first single malt and was wondering what to do with it. Thanks.
Scotch is aged in once used oak and often also a used cask that previously held sherry. If you're aging in glass, I would think using once used oak chuncks would be appropriate. Toast them at 375-400*F in the oven for an hour and then give them a char with your torch. Rinse good with water and put them into the jar. It should give you a tasty whiskey.

Good luck.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

vernue wrote:would one use a different wood or a different toast/roast for aging a single malt? just ran my first single malt and was wondering what to do with it. Thanks.
Generally your question sounds a bit like you haven't read much about oak until now. Because you probably don't have used oak, I would use new sticks like described here. A toast plus a char (IMO light toast and light char is best. The most common beginner mistake is to overdo both). You will not get an original Scotch taste, it will taste like a mixture of Malt Whisky and Bourbon, but that's the best you can do without used wood. Simply to take less oak for Malt Whisky than for Bourbon is not a solution for the problem IMO.
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Post by amdamgraham »

Good read and thank you. I did some oak stave tests in jars early-on but now use small casks. One thing that was very noticeable in my jar tests was how dramatically the spirit changed when exposed or denied the ability to breath. These were mason jars so had lids, not cork, and we would tighten or loosen the lids and then check them side by side. Big difference. Is that why you use a cork on the jar, to allow some oxidizing and how much angels share do you lose with cork and jug?
vernue
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vernue »

thanks for your replies. The wood I'm using is from used oak wine barrels from a local boutique winery that's been sitting open outside for a few years (the barrel, not the winery). i've been toasting them at 200 C for a few hours and blow-torching them according to what I've been reading here. They've been fine for the bourbon - although your comment about overdoing it hit the mark. I'm just wondering if the same wood I'm using for bourbon would be appropriate for scotch. Yes, the quantities I'm distilling now means I'll be aging in glass - two liter jugs with 3" cork tops (found them at ikea!). Thanks for your help, and if you have more advice, my eyes and ears are open.
5 g. clawhammer
50 l. homemade pot still
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

vernue wrote:thanks for your replies. The wood I'm using is from used oak wine barrels from a local boutique winery that's been sitting open outside for a few years (the barrel, not the winery). i've been toasting them at 200 C for a few hours 1.5h at 190°C is the most recommended combination here and blow-torching them according to what I've been reading here. They've been fine for the bourbon - although your comment about overdoing it hit the mark. So why don't you use the sticks from your Bourbon now for the Malt Whisky? I'm just wondering if the same wood I'm using for bourbon would be appropriate for scotch. Yes, the quantities I'm distilling now means I'll be aging in glass - two liter jugs with 3" cork tops (found them at ikea!). Thanks for your help, and if you have more advice, my eyes and ears are open.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Bourbon is generally heavy charred scotch is not unless its being stored in ex bourbon barrels in which case the char is leached anyways. If they are charred up for bourbon scape those suckers down
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

for scotch I use the oak from once used bourbon and then soak it in sherry and put in jars. Makes a fine drop
vernue
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vernue »

I would use my used bourbon sticks, but they all went on the grill a couple of weeks ago. I'd be embarrassed admitting that, except it was the best grill I've ever tasted! I may never make a great bourbon or even acceptable scotch, but at least my barbecue has granted me family approval. I guess I'll go with a medium toast and medium char, and take what I get. There's always next time.
5 g. clawhammer
50 l. homemade pot still
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

I see this is an old post but I'm just starting on aging and have bought French oak cubes but like this too so think I'm going to get it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the write up maybe this will give me some good deer lease camp fire drink