CAJUN FOOD

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

CAJUN FOOD

Post by Shine0n »

2016-11-07 20.04.28.jpg
Got this Cajun cookbook back in 78 in New Orleans. Been cooking out of it since I was old enough.
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: CAJUN FOOD

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I just got back from Lafayette, La. A couple weeks ago. I brought back 10# of frozen boudin in my Yeti cooler and it's half gone already.
I love Cajun food.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Caution : An affinity for Cajun food can cause your babies to be born naked and lean you to a proclivity to be politicaly incorrect .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:I just got back from Lafayette, La. A couple weeks ago. I brought back 10# of frozen boudin in my Yeti cooler and it's half gone already.
I love Cajun food.
A pig hunting buddy lives on the Tex-Lou border and I've enjoyed Boudin with him a few times. Dang that stuff is good ! 10 pounds would be an appetizer for me if I could get my hands on some. My neighbor and I make andouille, chorizo and a few German sausages from time to time so maybe a try at Boudin might be fun.Will have to talk to him about this. :thumbup:

Anybody have a recipe ?

From talking to my hunting buddy this recipe, and there are many, seems to be on the right track. Boudin, pronounced BOO-DAN is different from most other sausages in that ingredients are cooked before being stuffed into the casing.

http://honest-food.net/2014/06/09/cajun ... ge-recipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks for posting,Appalachia-Shiner :clap: :wave:

Don't forget to vote on Tuesday !!!!
Blah, blah, blah,........
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

FMH, I'll take a look in the book after work. They may although there are different varieties of the famous sausage. If so I'll post it here as well.
I'm now in va for quite some time but we still every March throw a big ass Cajun party. 100 lbs craw fish boil and around 10 other Cajun dishes. Great time!!!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Truckinbutch wrote:Caution : An affinity for Cajun food can cause your babies to be born naked and lean you to a proclivity to be politicaly incorrect .
So that's what's wrong with me.lol I thought I was just an ass hole, plus I don't and won't sugar coat anything just to make the crybaby happy.
To many sensitive people with nothing better to do than bitch about someone else.
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

boudin sausage ''blood sausage''

Ingredients:
1 pound hog or beef blood -- (1pint)
1/2 pound hog fat
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 clove garlic
2 medium Onions

Preparation / Directions:
Mince the onions fine and fry them slightly in a small piece of the hog fat. Add the minced garlic. Hash and mince the remaining fat very fine and mix it thoroughly with the beef blood. Mix the onions, spices and herbs. When all mixed take the prepared casings or entrails and fill with the mixture, being careful to tie the casing at the further end before attempting to fill. Then tie the other end making the sausage into strings of about two feet. Wash them thoroughly on the outside after filling and then tie again in spaces of about three inches or less in length, being careful not to make too long. Place them to cook in a pot of tepid water never letting them boil as that would curdle the blood. Let them remain on the slow fire till you can prick the sausage with a needle and no blood will exude. Then take them out, let them dry and cool Boudins are always fried in boiling lard. Some broil them, however.
Last edited by frodo on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Boudin

Ingredients:
2 pounds pork meat -- 30 % fat or so
1 1/2 pounds pork liver
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 large onion -- cut up
3 bunches green onions -- chopped
12 cups cooked rice
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
5 feet sausage casing

Cook meat, liver, salt and pepper in water to cover until meat falls apart. Remove meat and reserve some of broth. While still warm, grind meat, onion, green onions, and parsley, saving about 1/2 cup of green onions and parsley mixture. Mix the ground meat mixture with the 1/2 cup pf green onions and parsley, rice and enough broth to make a moist dressing. Stuff the dressing into sausage casing using a sausage stuffer. May be refrigerated, may be frozen. Prepare for eating by steaming, as microwaving or frying will shrink and burst casing.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

bread pudding cake

Ingredients:
5 slices loaves French bread -- up to 10
1 quart milk
6 whole eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375F. Slice French bread into one half inch round croutons. In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs and sugar. Using a wire whisk, blend these three ingredients well. Add vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Continue to blend until all ingredients are well mixed. Oil a ten inch cheesecake pan. Press one layer of French bread croutons into the bottom of the pan, making sure there are no void spaces. Sprinkle a small amount of pecans and raisins over this layer. Ladle in one third of the custard mixture. Carefully press the custard into the croutons using the tips of your fingers. Continue this process until all croutons and custard are used up. You may find that one to two cups of the custard mixture will remain once the pan has been filled. This is normal and you must continue to add the custard, a little at a time, firmly pressing into the croutons until all has been used. This may take an hour or so. The bread pudding is always best if allowed to set in the refrigerator overnight before cooking. Place the bread pudding pan into a larger pan filled with water. Cook in this water bath approximately one to one and a half hours. Serve warm or cold. Slice into 14 wedges.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

hey freemountain,it is pronounces boo-dane in french.its good stuff
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

frodo wrote:
that looks soo good, i need to find me some cajun food