I was fiven 45lb of apples

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

newbie1982
Novice

I was fiven 45lb of apples

Post by newbie1982 »

Now what?
I want to ferment and distill it of course. I don't have a press but I do have a really nice restaurant grade processor, I threw a few apples in it and it made apple sauce in short order. Just wondering if this will work and how big of a fermenter I should put it in and how much water and sugar (if any to add I'm not sure what kind of 31sg to expect from the apples
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: I was fiven 45lb of apples

Post by der wo »

The last time I mashed apples I added 1l water per 10kg apples. No sugar.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

So this isn't going to make very much
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

After cuts 350ml pure alcohol per 10kg apples. Single run reflux still.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Of course you can add sugar. As long you have only a small stock of spirits at home, it's ok IMO. It's even ok to use sugar for 18% and turbo yeast IMO. Not those 48h ones. There are better turbo yeasts, simply an alcohol tolerant wine yeast and the needed nutrients for a slow but complete fermentation up to 18%, the Prestige fruit schnapps yeast for example. Back on topic:
Pushing a 6% mash with sugar to 12% will not half the aroma. But it will have noticeable less aroma. So when you come to a point where the amount of product isn't such important anymore, I would stop adding sugar.
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

So this isn't going like I wanted. I have 5 gallons of apple sauce. This stuff is thick I added the 2 liters of water per 10 kg of apples and this stuff still looks like apple paste. All I've ever done is corn washes and one attempt at an all grain. I can't even get a sg reading this stuff is so thick. I need some advice of where to go from here.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Pectolytic enzyme would help a bit. And to mash the apples when overripe. Or to mash only ripe apples and let the other apples ripen a few days longer and add them to the mash later.
You don't need to take a SG reading. If you want to calculate something, google the normal sugar content of apples.
Aerate it and pitch the yeast.
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

So I can't leave well enough alone I split the apple puree between 2 buckets added sugar and water now I have one at 1.084 and the other at 1.090. Why can't I just leave things alone.
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

I'm just going to through some bakers yeast in and see what happens
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Eddie, baker yeast is not the best choice for apples, and fruit in general. Most here use a wine yeast, like EC -1118