Need a bigger pot !

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Need a bigger pot !

Post by Pikey »

I need a bigger cooker and came across this - what do we think ?

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/quick-na ... k1408.html

[Edit - I know it says "Not available" - but I have located one - just that this description is better. :) ]
Bushman
Admin

Re: Need a bigger pot !

Post by Bushman »

When I zoomed in it did not look like the top is SS. It mentions the stainless used but in the bullet it says high quality material not stainless steel which makes me think parts of it are not.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Yes that is a question which needs to be answered.

It also says this :
".....The tank is made of 1.5 mm gauge 316 AISI stainless steel welded with Argon shielding gas and hence highly resistant to corrosive agents. The electrical heating element is made of incoloy steel. ......"

[Edit - on further research, the spec also says it is double skinned, with insulation between the skins, so we are not necessarily seeing the boiler part as such. ]
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

the description in features says the tank is 316 stainless.

the description in specifications says treated steel for inner and outer tanks

under features it says the heat exchanger is 316 stainless

do you want a tank with a heat exchanger in it ?

conflicting information in their different descriptions needs sorted.
be water my friend
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I bet a 13 gallon milk can would be less expensive to aquire. This marine water heater, being a special service piece of equipment, sounds expensive. I didn't actually see the price tag because it is not available (discontinued??).

But a milk can has a TC element provision, a TC still connection, and possibly even a drain outlet. Its designed for the purpose you need it for. This water heater, on the other hand, is designed for a boat, where the showers are short and you don't need a lot of hot water. But, they have to be safe (non hazardous) because you could be in the middle of the ocean and there's no place to go if it explodes or catches fire.

I would vote :thumbdown: if it were me....but its not.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

still_stirrin wrote:I bet a 13 gallon milk can would be less expensive to aquire. This marine water heater, being a special service piece of equipment, sounds expensive. I didn't actually see the price tag because it is not available (discontinued??).

But a milk can has a TC element provision, a TC still connection, and possibly even a drain outlet. Its designed for the purpose you need it for. This water heater, on the other hand, is designed for a boat, where the showers are short and you don't need a lot of hot water. But, they have to be safe (non hazardous) because you could be in the middle of the ocean and there's no place to go if it explodes or catches fire.

I would vote :thumbdown: if it were me....but its not.
ss
Elsewhere they run at 650 Euros reduced from 900 Eu ss. This one I think I can get for £100 (New - old stock) - I can't find a milk Churn in stainless to save my life over here :( and kegs are like rocking horse crap too !
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

cob wrote:the description in features says the tank is 316 stainless.

the description in specifications says treated steel for inner and outer tanks under features it says the heat exchanger is 316 stainless

Yes it does doesn't it ? That's a concern ! Thanks for spotting that.
cob wrote: do you want a tank with a heat exchanger in it ?

I have in mind to combine it with this, so yes -

http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... 88&t=63870

At the moment I have one of these but 110 Litres, and it was my intention to cut the top off it and use a stainless bowl for a lid.
Edit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-WATER-COP ... xySy9SRABJ

The trouble with that is that the copper is very thin, which bothers me a bit and it is also tall. I'm not convinced I have the headroom in my outbuilding to have a decent height column and I'm convinced that I want around 48" plus the boiler height. and room to get a bucket under a tap on the bottom of the side, so I need to have it on a little stand.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Went to £100 and lost it - Now I'm thinking that's something I'm going to repent at liesure :(
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Well, It says it's a heat exchanger. I'm not sure it's just a tank with a heating element, could have some pipes in it, too (that would probably be the 316 SS).
I'd stay away from that copper tank on E-bay too.. The copper is probably very thin and the foam around aids the structural integrity, so it can't be cut away without problems.
The milk can is really a good alternative. Or what about a stainless keg...? You can get them as euro keg with 50 or 30 L .
I don't know how things are in the UK, but here I get a milk can very easy. Then it's just a matter of welding/soldering a 1" fitting into it for the heating element (cheap on E-bay).
The picture below is my boiler, a 25 L milk can with an inverted bowl on top. The spout at the bottom is a 1/2" female threaded fitting for a drain. I don't like to handle scalding hot stillage, so a 1/2" full-bore valve sits in there.
A barbed hose connector comes from the valve and a hose is attached to it...runs directly into the floor drain.
Boiler.jpg
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Oh..I almost forgot... here is one I found in the Uk for a decent price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/stainless-ste ... SwTA9X54yF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thank you Danespirit.

The link in my previous post, explains my situation.

I already have a 25 Litre tea urn pot, which is ok but slow to heat and expensive to run and I want a bigger one. The one I was referring to does have a stainless heat exchanger, which I was hoping to use as explained in that thread I link to and was 50 litres, whereas the copper cylinder I already have is 100+ and as you and I both observed, the copper is thin.

I reckon that pot you linked to is around 25 litres from the dims given - thanks for trying to help though and I suppose if I end up winding my own heat exchanger, I will, but failing all else, I'll give the copper a go first. They are intended to be used in a heating system, and the one I have is pre-foam, so it may be slightly thicker, if what you say about the foam is correct.

It's the forming of the joint between the cut top and the stainless bowl which bothers me most.

Anyway, as I said - thanks 8)
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

heya pikey i been looking up on some of your old posts and see that this is the usual time you look to do different builds i saw this on ebay and figured id post it up for you to take a view its uk and free postage im tempted but dont have the funds atm to buy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-copp ... 0037.m2107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

can you not get your hands on a keg?
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

or this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Litre-St ... 2732615742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Don't be a dick
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

markieb wrote:heya pikey i been looking up on some of your old posts and see that this is the usual time you look to do different builds i saw this on ebay and figured id post it up for you to take a view its uk and free postage im tempted but dont have the funds atm to buy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-copp ... 0037.m2107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
be aware it is not solid copper, Coated is the clue
a vintage copper coated one
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

Pikey, I am nearly sure this company sell single kegs to home brewers, UK based company.
http://www.crusaderkegsandcasks.com/stock-kegs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Well that is if you want one or more
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thanks for the replies lads - 8)

I'm suited now - In fact I have a lovely pot, very similar to a 55 Litre keg, with electric heating, courtesy of another very helpful member and a lovely stainless Electric double boiler Mash tun, which I had intended to convert, before the previous mentioned item came up, and TWO of those 100 Litre plus copper cylinders, one of which even come with a thumper attached :D

One copper ;
DSC_5123 - resize.JPG
DSC_5128 - resize.JPG
ANd here's the other ;
Copper resized.jpg

So I've gone from "Not having a pot to P*** in"..... as it were to having a current suplus of fine utensils ! :D :D

I do appreciate the suggestions though - thanks muchly :)
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

nice bit of copper there Pikey!

just for the record of anyone based near Pikey with a one to spend on a shiney new keg, crusader don't tend to sell direct these days, but brewuk are crusader's endmarket stockist (20L, 30L, 50L) and kammac are a little cheaper (30L, 50L).