Storing an empty oak barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Morrey
Novice

Storing an empty oak barrel

Post by Morrey »

When I empty my 2.5G oak barrel (currently aging whisky), what is the best way to store the empty keg to make sure it doesn't dry out before I can save up enough runs to re-fill the keg? I don't think I should simply leave it empty or is this ok?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Storing an empty oak barrel

Post by still_stirrin »

Fill it...with whiskey (best option). But you can fill it with water too (to keep the staves swollen).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Have a look here: http://www.homebrewing.com/barrel-basics.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Just me : I'd rather have to rehydrate and retighten a barrel than risk water going funky and permeating my likker barrel if I couldn't refill it with likker right when I emptied it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Morrey
Novice

Post by Morrey »

Truckinbutch wrote:Just me : I'd rather have to rehydrate and retighten a barrel than risk water going funky and permeating my likker barrel if I couldn't refill it with likker right when I emptied it .
So if I simply left it empty for a few weeks, I can rehydrate it basically like I was starting over?
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Visited a local craft distillery a while ago and they store their barrels on their side (on the head) with a puddle of water sitting on the top head. Granted, these are new barrels, but concept should be the same. Apparently it gets enough moisture into the staves to keep them from shrinking. I don't really know how, or for how long, but that's what they do.

I've got a 5 gallon barrel that I aged UJ in, then made a bourbon barrel stout in. I'm planning to get one more use out of it. It's been sitting empty for about 6 months and is shriveling up. I'm pretty sure it'll swell back up like before. I wouldn't worry too much about a few weeks.

Or just leave your whiskey in there until it's all built up. What's the rush? How long has it been in there?

SR
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Truckinbutch wrote:Just me : I'd rather have to rehydrate and retighten a barrel than risk water going funky and permeating my likker barrel if I couldn't refill it with likker right when I emptied it .
+1. I heat my boiler to 150f and pump the hot water into the barrel till it's sunk. When the waters cool it usually has swollen up good & tight.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Morrey wrote:
So if I simply left it empty for a few weeks, I can rehydrate it basically like I was starting over?
What we always did here on the farm . Put one in the horse trough for a few days and then adjust the hoops if need be and then put some hot water inside and let it cool and swell the staves on it's own . That generally took care of it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Today :
With a new Gibbs barrel to fill I'm not going to fiddle with the barrel until I have enough to fill it the first time and an assurance that I have enough ahead to refill it again . When I call on it to go to work I hope it never gets thirsty again .
I'm going to swell and tighten that barrel to the point that the Angels are going to have to suck hard enough to start a Harley to get their share .