All corn mash procedure help…

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guerilla Distillah
Novice

All corn mash procedure help…

Post by Guerilla Distillah »

OK, after years of brewing I have decided to take up distilling. I put up a 25 gallon barrel of all corn mash a week ago and it's finally finished fermenting. So yesterday, I drop off what I consider to be half of the liquid volume in the barrel. Let me back up a second and say I cooked the corn with liquid enzymes for 90 min, allowed to cool to room temperature, added to Barrel and pitched yeast. So I did a stripping run yesterday of the first liquid removal. With the intent to do the same thing to the second half today. Well, I realized soon after I started removing the rest of the liquid wash that I was going to have to strain a lot of the corn to extract the liquid. Are use the large stainless steel kitchen bowl and a 5 gallon mesh paint strainer bag and fill the bag, twisted and squeezed. It was an awful mess, super tedious, and really annoying. That said, the whole purpose of the process is to extract as much liquid as you can so I went for it. I removed about half of the corn, added 5 gallons of backset from yesterday's run, and will boil up a new batch of corn this evening and add it back to the fermenter along with about a 1/3 The amount of yeast I originally pitched.

HOLY SHIT!!! Can anybody offer some suggestions on how to streamline this process, a methodology I'm not seeing due to my ignorance? Thanks very much

GD
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: All corn mash procedure help…

Post by still_stirrin »

deja vu.....
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=65216

Do you really need to ask this exact same question again...in another thread? Why not follow the one you already opened?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

What still_stirrin said... The best advice I can give is to read several of the already active topics on all grain mashes as well as filtering topics... No need repeating perfectly good information in this or your other topic on the subject... You should have done the research before you ever started mashing... Nobody said it was easy and perhaps it isn't in the cards for you... Do the research and decide for yourself whether you want to give it another go...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Perhaps you could do a sour mash - sugar wash - like Uncle jesse's ?

- There's not much benefit in tryi ng to run afre ye can walk - & a sour mash is a decent swig ! :wink: