Question About Making My Pressure Cooker Still...

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

afleetalex
Novice

Question About Making My Pressure Cooker Still...

Post by afleetalex »

I have all the equipment for an indoor pressure cooker still (pressure cooker, Teflon tape, meat thermometer, hot plate, copper tubing, bucket, corks). My question is the assembly. I'm not sure how to fasten the copper tubing to the pressure cooker lid. I know it attaches to the pressure release safety valve. Do you remove the valve and then add the tubing, or does it go over the top of the valve? None of the videos or diagrams covered this.

Thanks for any help in advance, I've got a Cognac replication recipe and some mead, ready to run!
rad14701
retired

Re: Question About Making My Pressure Cooker Still...

Post by rad14701 »

Step One: Get rid of the pressure cooker...

Seriously, it sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse because if you've done enough research here in the forums, rather than YouTube and other sites, you'd know that a pressure cooker is not the right tool for the job... I'm not going to get into details here because you need to learn through research rather than me repeating the same information yet again...

Step Two: Get a better boiler after doing said research...
afleetalex
Novice

Post by afleetalex »

Step One: If you're not addressing the question I asked...

Step Two: Don't say anything at all.

Step Three: When I want your opinion, I'll ask for it.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

afleetalex wrote:Step One: If you're not addressing the question I asked...

What Rad was advising you to do is.....RESEARCH. Pressure cookers do not make good boilers for a number of reasons. Do an HD Google search for "pressure cooker" (see the 'how to' link in my signature).

Learn to use the tools available on this site. All questions have been already asked and answered so all you really need to do is search and read. That part is up to you. Otherwise, you're just asking to be "spoon fed".

And if you truely feel like you are ready to begin distilling, how do you expect to succeed if you can't even figure out how to connect a copper tube to an aluminum pressure cooker? And I'm betting that you are trying to use 3/8" OD tubing for that too....another "awe shucks".

As Rad suggested, back up and do your due dilligence reading. You are not yet ready to proceed.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Don't be surprised if the majority of folks here take you up on 'Step 2'.
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously do some research its good for ya. It will only end up costing you a fortune.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

You don't get a choice in who replies to your questions... Just because you don't like the answers and advisement's provided doesn't make them any less accurate... You're the novice here so start listening to the voices of experience who have put a hell of a lot more time and effort into the hobby and this site than you have... Now, suck it up, Buttercup, and do some serious research... :idea:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Just checking your posts , it looks as though you have had a few year hiatus from your first posts. It looks as though you have not done much research to advanced your knowledge of distilling. You come in headstrong and wonder why these guys hit back. You came here asking for help , remember. All these questions have been answered to many times and the answers are right here for you to read.

A pressure cooker makes a very poor still , particularly if it is aluminum, it can and will leach chemicals into your spirit. Some of the other stuff you mentioned. What size is the copper tube, if it get plug by a boiler puke you can expect big problems such as an explosion. By the way your insurance won't cover the damage . How about he cork , is it natural or synthetic another thing worth checking on. Another point a regular heat plate will cycle making your run inconsistent and smearing of the spirit will be done. Even if you manage to get this contraption together, have you read about cleaning runs and sacrificial runs?
Yes you need to take a step back and learn before you make these statements.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

you ask for an opinion regarding attaching copper to a pressure cooker and got one.

having been a member here 4 years you should be able to advise every noobie

why a pressure cooker still is such a bad idea.

what is your pressure cooker made of ?

posted with corene1
be water my friend
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

By my count we're currently at:

HD consensus = 6
afleetalex = zero

Kinda hard to dispute the early results... The ball is in your court, afleetalex... I don't see things swaying in your favor any time soon...
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

Am I the only one that can smell a freaking troll?

Lock it down. It should have been after the response to Rad's post.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

afleetalex wrote:I have all the equipment for an indoor pressure cooker still (pressure cooker, Teflon tape, meat thermometer, hot plate, copper tubing, bucket, corks). My question is the assembly. I'm not sure how to fasten the copper tubing to the pressure cooker lid. I know it attaches to the pressure release safety valve. Do you remove the valve and then add the tubing, or does it go over the top of the valve? None of the videos or diagrams covered this.

Thanks for any help in advance, I've got a Cognac replication recipe and some mead, ready to run!
Break out the pitchforks and torches and wake all the villagers!!!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Perhaps he is a troll or perhaps he has found that still on the parent site. ( http://homedistiller.org/equip/photos-pot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ) I hate the fact that that stupid thing is still on there but before we jump all over someone about where they got their information try to remember that it may very well have come from the parent site which would be regarded as this site.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Naaaaaa.

tp
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Welcome back, Cranky.
I have a confession. That's where I found out that pressure cookers were "okay".
Amended my ways long since then, but I'm glad you brought it up.
My voice doesn't ring as loud as yours.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Still Life wrote:Welcome back, Cranky.
Thank you :D
Still Life wrote:I have a confession. That's where I found out that pressure cookers were "okay".
Amended my ways long since then, but I'm glad you brought it up.
My voice doesn't ring as loud as yours
I don't think my voice rings very loud, I just keep saying the same thing over and over and hope it gets heard. I almost made the mistake of doing that same still back when I was just beginning because I hadn't discovered the forum side yet, fortunately I didn't but keeping this design in mind is one of the things that keeps me trying to keep people informing new members that even though it contains good information, the parent site also contains outdated and even dangerous information. Sometimes it just feels like I am beating my head against a wall :tired:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Cranky, you are right I went to the parent site and found a couple examples of pressure cooker stills. Hopefully we can get it updated.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

corene1 wrote:Cranky, you are right I went to the parent site and found a couple examples of pressure cooker stills. Hopefully we can get it updated.
I gave up trying to do that years ago. If you read the end of the spoonfeeding post you can see kind of a general list of things that were ( and I think still are ) on the parent site that are just bad ideas. An argument about that horrible pressure cooker still on the parent site was what eventually led to the spoonfeeding thread because I was told there was nothing that could be done to change the parent site. It is also why I keep trying to encourage people to tell people they send there that some of the information is outdated.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The issue at hand is that although Uncle Jesse now owns the domain name that hosts the parent site it is still copyrighted by Tony Akland so we are limited on how much the content can be modified... We have updated the look and feel of the parent site and made a few additions but removal of existing content has been very limited...
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

rad14701 wrote:The issue at hand is that although Uncle Jesse now owns the domain name that hosts the parent site it is still copyrighted by Tony Akland so we are limited on how much the content can be modified... We have updated the look and feel of the parent site and made a few additions but removal of existing content has been very limited...
Personally I don't know how true that is and don't really care about the why. I do understand that it is not going to change but, not to bust your balls Rad, but you have been well aware of the content of the parent site for many years yet still in your first post on this thread you said
rad14701 wrote:if you've done enough research here in the forums, rather than YouTube and other sites, you'd know that a pressure cooker is not the right tool for the job...
which insinuates that that information is not on this site, yet you know it is in fact available here via the parent site and the OP could have very likely found it there thinking he had good information. Personally I think as long as that and other bad/dangerous information remains on the parent site it is best to approach the questions that arise about it in a better manner than you did in that post.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

which insinuates that that information is not on this site, yet you know it is in fact available here via the parent site and the OP could have very likely found it there thinking he had good information. Personally I think as long as that and other bad/dangerous information remains on the parent site it is best to approach the questions that arise about it in a better manner than you did in that post.

TADA,nail on the head!!!!
It is what you make it
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

And Rad gets radded.

tp
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

He should have known that before he needed to know it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Oh, I know what's on the parent site... But these very forums are considered to contain information that supersedes the parent site... Considering how the content on the parent site hasn't changed since the early 2000's and these forums being newer than that, which would you tend to believe and rely on as far as hardware is concerned...??? Theories and fundamentals of distillation have changed very little over the years but hardware has changed a lot...
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

rad14701 wrote:Oh, I know what's on the parent site... But these very forums are considered to contain information that supersedes the parent site... Considering how the content on the parent site hasn't changed since the early 2000's and these forums being newer than that, which would you tend to believe and rely on as far as hardware is concerned...??? Theories and fundamentals of distillation have changed very little over the years but hardware has changed a lot...
That's all well and good provided whenever someone sends someone to the parent site they include a disclaimer telling them it contains outdated and down right dangerous information but we all know not everybody does that. Some members act like the parent site is the best thing since sliced bread and tell everybody to learn it front to back and sideways as if it is the gospel. So new members get misled and wind up in the situation the OP is in. I will admit there is a very, very small disclaimer about that on the parent site but in all honesty it is easily missed. There needs to be a big flashing red disclaimer about the dangerous stuff at the very least but what should be done is to get rid of it period because it is downright dangerous and the bullshit about it being copy written is just that, BULLSHIT! In the interest of safety it can and should be removed it does nobody any good whatsoever even as a historical artifact because there isn't a big flashing red warning and pretending it isn't there and jumping all over someone for stumbling across it doesn't do anybody any good either.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NZChris wrote:He should have known that before he needed to know it.
How?
Why?
Geoff
The Baker
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Skipper1953 wrote:Am I the only one that can smell a freaking troll?

Lock it down. It should have been after the response to Rad's post.

ok
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.