A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

panikry83
Swill Maker

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Post by panikry83 »

I really like the idea of this and I've watched a few of your vidoes. The last one on "bias" was incredibly rambling and not really all the useful to distilling proper. You focused 12 minutes on an incredibly basic concept and in a previous video only 6 minutes on saftey. Imho, this was. Wasted video. Talk about the proper way to construct a still, different types of washes, aging protocols, etc. If I wanted a definition on a concept, Ill get a dictionary. Do not take this as negativity, maybe constructive criticism.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Took a little while to get to the vids but I sub'd and left a comment in the last vid.

I like that you're taking on the project. It's going to be big - but I assume you know this already. Maybe a little disclaimer in the beginning of the vids.. along the lines of "thanks for watching, please read and get more information"... much like you mentioned in one of the first videos. Sort of a persistent reminder to people watching that knowledge is power. The approach you are taking is IMHO a good one... sort of a "let's explore this together" kind of thing... I think that this could entrust viewers to you and can become a powerful tool for getting good info out there as well as support (say maybe here in the USA :mrgreen: )

The guys over at NZHD are giving you a bit of hazing...but some good advice as well. :lol: Keep plugging away!

I'm looking forward to the vid on methanol. Maybe you could talk about a few other "myths" of home distilling such as lead poisoning and the like. I think bitter gave you a bunch of great ideas and your posts at NZHD show some good ones as well. Best of luck.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Post by TxBrewing »

I like where this can lead. I really do. My advice is to constantly disclaim that you are doing it for the first time. Also, because you are learning make sure you vet your procedures and processes with established veteran
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Sorry I haven't been in for a few days, we had house guests. Felt rude sitting on the computer haha!
TxBrewing wrote:I like where this can lead. I really do. My advice is to constantly disclaim that you are doing it for the first time. Also, because you are learning make sure you vet your procedures and processes with established veteran
Hmmm solid advice! And thanks :) I wonder if I can combine this with rgreens suggestion and add it to the "welcome to still it" line.

rgreen2002 wrote:Took a little while to get to the vids but I sub'd and left a comment in the last vid.

I like that you're taking on the project. It's going to be big - but I assume you know this already. Maybe a little disclaimer in the beginning of the vids.. along the lines of "thanks for watching, please read and get more information"... much like you mentioned in one of the first videos. Sort of a persistent reminder to people watching that knowledge is power. The approach you are taking is IMHO a good one... sort of a "let's explore this together" kind of thing... I think that this could entrust viewers to you and can become a powerful tool for getting good info out there as well as support (say maybe here in the USA :mrgreen: )

The guys over at NZHD are giving you a bit of hazing...but some good advice as well. :lol: Keep plugging away!

I'm looking forward to the vid on methanol. Maybe you could talk about a few other "myths" of home distilling such as lead poisoning and the like. I think bitter gave you a bunch of great ideas and your posts at NZHD show some good ones as well. Best of luck.
Yeah, I assumed it was going to be big, especially seeing as I decided to try and do it "right" haha. I thought it was going to be big before starting, and its bigger now than I thought!

I think I will have a look at adding that disclaimer in, I dig it. It pretty much embodies exactly what I want the channel to be about. Its just a time thing I guess, but I dont see that as a issue compared to what it would add.

Yep, thats exactly what I want it to be. It's pretty obvious that I am no expert. But IMHO you don't need to be to explore discover and learn. Sometimes its better to start from ignorance if you go about it in the right way haha.

Lol, yeah hazing is fine by me. I have thick skin, and they have been VERY helpful.
panikry83 wrote:I really like the idea of this and I've watched a few of your vidoes. The last one on "bias" was incredibly rambling and not really all the useful to distilling proper. You focused 12 minutes on an incredibly basic concept and in a previous video only 6 minutes on saftey. Imho, this was. Wasted video. Talk about the proper way to construct a still, different types of washes, aging protocols, etc. If I wanted a definition on a concept, Ill get a dictionary. Do not take this as negativity, maybe constructive criticism.
Thanks man, really appreciate it! Thanks for being blunt, straight up constructive crit is helpful. Don't stress about offending me etc, I can take it :wink:
There were a few geeky Youtube reasons for the 12 min video, and testing on my part. Also it was about setting the basics for other things (mostly basic scientific theory etc) . It may not be directly related to distilling but its a big part of what I want to incorporate into the channel. I think there is a fairly large demographic out there that are involved in distilling that do not understand those kinds of concepts. I also think spreading the idea of science in distilling can only raise the the image and success of the hobby.

That being said. . . . . . . I agree with your assessment on reflection, mostly the rambly bit haha.

Your suggestions are exactly the kind of things I plan on getting stuck into. . . . . . . .Im still not operational with the equipment yet though :(
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Jes2xu wrote:
I think I will have a look at adding that disclaimer in, I dig it. It pretty much embodies exactly what I want the channel to be about. Its just a time thing I guess, but I dont see that as a issue compared to what it would add.
Maybe a 10-15 second written disclaimer before you even start the vid. It doesn't have to be big, or flashy... just smooth and simple.

Jes2xu wrote:Im still not operational with the equipment yet though :(
This could last over several videos... choice of still, building materials, how to solder, cleaning, etc.... like half a years stuff right here! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

rgreen2002 wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:
Maybe a 10-15 second written disclaimer before you even start the vid. It doesn't have to be big, or flashy... just smooth and simple.

Jes2xu wrote:Im still not operational with the equipment yet though :(
This could last over several videos... choice of still, building materials, how to solder, cleaning, etc.... like half a years stuff right here! :mrgreen:
Yeah, cant really put it right at the beginning before the hook. But I can drop it right before the intro. . . . . In fact I just wrote this into a script, literally 10 sec ago hahah.
"Don’t forget to go double check your information though, remember im new to this! "

Yup true my man! Very true!
I finished planning a "what still is best for me" video. Basically a what still should a beginner get based on what they want to do. Planning a "build or buy" video too.

This week I think I will release a quick overview of the entire distilling process. Super basic and generic. But a basis for people new to it to use to get started.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Actually,

That reminds me!

Would anyone be happy to share images for the "which still" video? Happy to pop your username / name / tag / whatever you like on the images. Or just not even mention where they come from.

I need images of :
Pot stills
Boka
VM
LM
CM
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

A Boka is a LM, but could also use a pic of a nixon stone to show the difference.. Cost to build etc.

Don't forget to read till your eyes bleed ;) Mind you in your last vid your eyes were a little bloodshot... ;P

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

A Boka is a LM, but could also use a pic of a nixon stone to show the difference.. Cost to build etc.

Don't forget to read till your eyes bleed ;) Mind you in your last vid your eyes were a little bloodshot... ;P

B
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Jes2xu wrote:Actually,

That reminds me!

Would anyone be happy to share images for the "which still" video? Happy to pop your username / name / tag / whatever you like on the images. Or just not even mention where they come from.

I need images of :
Pot stills
Boka
VM
LM
CM
You forgot Flute...
You forgot Flute...
Boka
Boka
Another Boka...ahhhh this takes me back!
Another Boka...ahhhh this takes me back!
....and the original Bokakob
....and the original Bokakob
Sorry...all my pot still pics seem to have vanished.... but these will get you started.

All of these pics are located somewhere in these pages...here they are organized.

Please go with the all identifying info off them option - if you would like to use them... Gracias! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

bitter wrote:A Boka is a LM, but could also use a pic of a nixon stone to show the difference.. Cost to build etc.

B
Yup, I'm focusing on the Boka specifically (in comparison to all the other variants of LM) as its such an enticing option for a beginner.
So while I know it's a LM, I'm kinda categorising it differently for the video.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

rgreen2002 wrote:

Sorry...all my pot still pics seem to have vanished.... but these will get you started.

All of these pics are located somewhere in these pages...here they are organized.

Please go with the all identifying info off them option - if you would like to use them... Gracias! :mrgreen:
Thanks man!
Yeah I figgered a touch rude to just go trolng around and grabbing images to use haha. So if people drop something in here I know they are ok with me using it :)

Thanks a bunch! Will make sure to keep your info off them ;)
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

look into a few of the build threads around here, most have what you want

Unfortunatley Homedistillers rules for photos means they aren't HD

I have taken some pictures of my boka for you, if you want them in their original Smart phone size (about 2-4mb) flick me you're Email address and I can send you some, I took pics of the slant plates up close, looking down the column to view the plates, and My still in general, showing how the column connects to the keg.

I'm sure others will Message you or offer as well, but people are correct, this topic alone, can be covered over a lot of time, (advantages, disadvantages, how they operate, type of packing) so maybe make a small video now, and then when your abit more experienced and have your own still, and have had abit more time to read and get what you need, move into a more in depth video.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

pounsfos wrote:look into a few of the build threads around here, most have what you want

Unfortunatley Homedistillers rules for photos means they aren't HD

I have taken some pictures of my boka for you, if you want them in their original Smart phone size (about 2-4mb) flick me you're Email address and I can send you some, I took pics of the slant plates up close, looking down the column to view the plates, and My still in general, showing how the column connects to the keg.

I'm sure others will Message you or offer as well, but people are correct, this topic alone, can be covered over a lot of time, (advantages, disadvantages, how they operate, type of packing) so maybe make a small video now, and then when your abit more experienced and have your own still, and have had abit more time to read and get what you need, move into a more in depth video.

Yep, I think the advice beeing dropped is solid! Im going to do just that. Will focus on basic beginner/getting started things for a bit. Then can start going more specific hands-on stuff when I am doing it :)

And thanks man! I will flick you a DM.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

https://youtu.be/EBtMCwu6dug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Just released this video. It is a overview of the entire process.

The idea is to give people that are totally new to distilling a bit of a orientation. Its pretty tricky to even know what people are talking about if you dont have a basic understanding of what you need to do to make a bottle of spirits.

This is the last of the "old" content that I recorded a long time ago. So all of the kick ass input / sugestions / crit that you have been fgiving will start coming into effect in folowing weeks :)
CraftyZA
Novice

Post by CraftyZA »

Jes2xu wrote:https://youtu.be/EBtMCwu6dug

The idea is to give people that are totally new to distilling a bit of a orientation. Its pretty tricky to even know what people are talking about if you dont have a basic understanding of what you need to do to make a bottle of spirits.

This is the last of the "old" content that I recorded a long time ago. So all of the kick ass input / sugestions / crit that you have been fgiving will start coming into effect in folowing weeks :)
Looking forward to it. I'm pretty new to all of this. Just did my second run today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

CraftyZA wrote:

Looking forward to it. I'm pretty new to all of this. Just did my second run today.

Awesome!!

How have the first two turned out?!?!
CraftyZA
Novice

Post by CraftyZA »

Jes2xu wrote:
CraftyZA wrote:

Awesome!!

How have the first two turned out?!?!
Both has their ups and downs. Second one got a ton of product, but less fruity. First one has a lot of fruit taste but a yeasty after taste and only got 1.5L @ 65%
Second one was 6L @ 75%
3rd one will be perfect. Still got 25kg of fruit pulp left.
magnum49
Novice

Post by magnum49 »

I guess to really find out is to give it a try.... I've never distilled a drop either, but I'm willing to learn right along side you..... I would definitely be a subscriber!!!!
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

CraftyZA wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:
CraftyZA wrote:
Both has their ups and downs. Second one got a ton of product, but less fruity. First one has a lot of fruit taste but a yeasty after taste and only got 1.5L @ 65%
Second one was 6L @ 75%
3rd one will be perfect. Still got 25kg of fruit pulp left.

Nice! Hope it goes well!
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

magnum49 wrote:I guess to really find out is to give it a try.... I've never distilled a drop either, but I'm willing to learn right along side you..... I would definitely be a subscriber!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Atta way :D

You know what I think I am going to fire up the crappy lil chinese pot still just to do something haha. I was going to wait for my boka build to be the first thing I ran .. . . but . . . eh :clap: :lol:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. Generally everyone should start with a potstill. You learn on a potstill better the "natural cuts". And if something goes wrong, you find the mistakes more easily.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Despite what you read on forums, learning cuts on a small pot still is just as easy as on a large one, you just have to take off in smaller amounts, aiming for a similar number of jars. And don't piss around with trying to do singles with it.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Awesome thanks for the feed back guys.

Yeah its a little stainless pot and worm jobby. I think perhaps only about 10L or something, if that.

It was donated to the cause by a friend who literally never pulled it out of the packaging (for 2 years haha).
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

This weeks video is now out.

https://youtu.be/zMjn0ODt1nk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Taken some advice and gone back to more basic and specifically distilling content. A discussion on boilers.

Just quietly this video was very rushed, let me know if it shows :(
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

This one is pretty light hearted.
But I wonder if I could turn it into something. I would love to be able to do 2 videos a week. But that's a WHOLE lotta time. Wondering if I could do "extra videos" perhaps 2 a month. Short 1-2min videos that define/explain keywords in distilling.
Basically, build up a dictionary.
Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/FzV_nHb4VIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

The shorts on terminology would be awesome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Jes2xu wrote:This one is pretty light hearted.
But I wonder if I could turn it into something. I would love to be able to do 2 videos a week. But that's a WHOLE lotta time. Wondering if I could do "extra videos" perhaps 2 a month. Short 1-2min videos that define/explain keywords in distilling.
Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/FzV_nHb4VIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Here you go: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=58100

This could keep you busy for a while.
HD Glossary - Open this
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

rgreen2002 wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:This one is pretty light hearted.
Thoughts?

Here you go: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=58100

This could keep you busy for a while.
Lol yup!

And I could probably set up and record 10 or so at a time. Nock them out fast.
Just dont know if its really something that will help anyone.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I came across this video today on youtube. It shows likker makin from a historic viewpoint and that history should be included in any interpretive presentation of the subject..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn-cOmca_Xo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Carry On
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here