Absinthe & Gin Still Build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Absinthe & Gin Still Build

Post by Bushman »

Got my plans for building my absinthe & gin infusion still for taking neutrals made from my larger still and creating infused drinks. I haven't bought my 18 gauge copper yet but have my plans and started building my jig for forming the copper. The idea for the gin basket design came from my 5 gallon essential oil still.
Hope the drawing below makes sense. First step was to design on my cad software a frustum in 3D to calculate the volume I wanted then to do a roll-out for a cut pattern.
Second step was to draw up to scale legs to make the jig for forming the copper.
The first photo below shows the 3D frustum drawn upside down and shaded on the left side, then in the middle is the roll-out on a 24"x24" area for the layout and cut pattern. To the right was a drawing to add support legs for my jig.
image.jpeg
Below is a picture of the jig sitting on top of the 5 gallon milk container.
image.jpeg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Absinthe & Gin Still Build

Post by OtisT »

Can't wait to see this as it progresses. Thanks for sharing.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Not sure I understand fully, Bushman, but can you share how big the boiler will be, what power you will be running, what is your column diameter, and what (if any) column reflux management system you use?

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Odin wrote:Not sure I understand fully, Bushman, but can you share how big the boiler will be, what power you will be running, what is your column diameter, and what (if any) column reflux management system you use?

Regards, Odin.
I am building a pot still as I will be running hearts from saved neutrals. The milk containers are 5 gallon and I am adding just under 2 gallons to the top. Will have a 2" column coming out of the top not the traditional lyne arm like the Kentucky style still. If you look at my previous post with the link to my essential oil still you will see I have added legs to a steamer basket. I plan to do the same and that will hold my herbs. The jig just shows where the copper frustum will sit and is what I will use to bend the copper for shaping. Hope this makes sense!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I dived a bit into the other thread and it now makes (a bit more) sense to me. Not critisizing your plans, just checking my understanding.

The only advice I'd have is: gin is about floral aromas for 80 to 90%. A wider diameter column will give lower vapor speeds that make it easier to harvest those notes. I think a 2 inch riser on a 20 liter pot is great. Wouldn\t go smaller.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The recommendation for copper gauge for being able to shape is 18. I am worried if I go larger than a 2" column as I am not sure the frustum will be strong enough. Not sure but I was hoping by widening the top frustum would also help with that.