SRD and I

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

RedwoodHillBilly

Re: SRD and I

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Truckinbutch wrote: Puttin the laziest man on the crew in charge of getting the job done in the easiest manner possible .
Damn straight
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SRD finally got a day off yesterday . We had a hell of a good visit while he helped me blend an all grain spirit run . Got to take his mash cooker and corn with him when he left . I think he would have rather taken my new 30 gallon mash pot . Y'all know that if he needed it , I'd carry it to him .
Talked Coalminer through part of his cleaning run today . He may get his first production run started this evening . He's taking to this like a duck to water .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
coalminer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by coalminer »

well, I did half my stripping run, going to finish tomorrow evening. I have to say, just tasting this off my fingers, it tastes real good, however, I will run the rest tomorrow and put it all together and run it again. I want to thank Butch and Dave for all of the help! These guys are great!
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'm unsure of where to go with this thread . It's gotten kinda long legged and has been well received . Coalminer joined SRD and I after this thread was started .
We have all come a long way and got miles to go yet .
Right now they call me when they get a chance . Both are working brutal hours and we only get to visit on the phone . SRD started fermenting off grain and Coalminer has yet to get a sugarhead spirit run finished because of work demands .
At the same time we are trying to push him into AG .
I got my new mash cooker set up today with a concrete block heat jacket within 4" of the top . Got to modify the mash stirrer and I am ready to start cooking again .
I've dry laid all my masonry because my still house is still (no pun intended) a work in progress . I can reconfigure at will .
Always working toward keeping everything within arm's reach from a comfortable chair to accommodate my fucked up back .
I'm starting to ramble a bit . That time of the evening .....
Y'all want me to keep reporting for the 3 of us or do you want to put this thread to bed ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

your thread TB, you carry on if you please, I for one find it interesting to see how you graduated from UJ to AG and all the learnings that have come your way in short time.
Good thing by a generic thread like this is that it can be what ever you want it to be, I'm sure you'll keep learning and sharing new things as you want to try different grain, fruit and Rum
Don't be a dick
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Truckinbutch wrote:I'm unsure of where to go with this thread . It's gotten kinda long legged and has been well received . Coalminer joined SRD and I after this thread was started .
We have all come a long way and got miles to go yet ....
...Y'all want me to keep reporting for the 3 of us or do you want to put this thread to bed ?
Don't underestimate the interest in this thread. Keep on.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

Truckinbutch wrote: Y'all want me to keep reporting for the 3 of us or do you want to put this thread to bed ?
I'm thinking that those members contemplating AGs or those already involved with a Booners will enjoy referencing this thread as well.

Carry on, Sir.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Didn't get shit done today . A new groundskeeper started today and I spent 5 hours with him in consultation and watching him work . Think we found a winner .
Got one strip run racked and strained . Ready to run . Maybe tomorrow . Another is finished . Needs to be racked , strained and settled .
While that's happening I can fit my mash paddle rig to the new pot .
Gonna try a new grain bill on the next 2 mashes . 75% corn/25% oats to maybe improve the mouth feel off the spout .
If that works I'll probably set the next 2 with 20% 6 row malted barley , 20% oats and 60% corn .
I love this hobby :clap:
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

I love the ability to experiment as well. I haven't tried oats yet, but I like your approach of adding one ingredient at a time. I added too many new things at once and got all mixed up on flavors and the fermentation process. Need to learn from that!

I've been eyeing up Jimbos 5 grain recipe due to a run in with a local distiller's (AD Laws in Denver) 5 grain. Keep us updated on the oats and barley- and your adventures as a whole. I'd say don't feel pressure to update constantly, but if there's something new that you come across, share with the group. I'm sure others feel the same but I've enjoyed your progress.

SR
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks ,ShineRunner .
I got to 'splain a bit :
When MCH visited the first time I was doing sugarheads of a sweetfeed derivitive . COB with brown sugar in place of molasses . It was his unfortunate duty to inform me that I was grinding up malted 6 row barley from that 40# bag and dumping it into a sugarhead with no mashing :oops: . Being ignorant is not a crime but , it sure as hell is unhandy .
I'm fixing to properly utilize the remaining 28# of malted 6 row in AG ferments .
You can't fix stupid but the ignorant can educate themselves if they so choose .
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Truckinbutch wrote: Gonna try a new grain bill on the next 2 mashes . 75% corn/25% oats to maybe improve the mouth feel off the spout .
If that works I'll probably set the next 2 with 20% 6 row malted barley , 20% oats and 60% corn .
How are you finding grinding the oats? I was grinding up 8lbs of oats last weekend to prepare ahead for my next mash and I'm finding grinding the oats in my corona mill quite a challenge for my 6 amp electric drill. Basically had to make two passes since those oats are pretty tough.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

speedfreaksteve wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote: Gonna try a new grain bill on the next 2 mashes . 75% corn/25% oats to maybe improve the mouth feel off the spout .
How are you finding grinding the oats? I was grinding up 8lbs of oats last weekend to prepare ahead for my next mash and I'm finding grinding the oats in my corona mill quite a challenge for my 6 amp electric drill. Basically had to make two passes since those oats are pretty tough.
Then do 3 passes . Work with your mill and your drill to find a comfort zone . I still have my Grandfather's cast iron , hand cranked mill . Well over 100 years old .
It will not do it all in one pass either .
Adjust your goal to desired result rather than speed of the deed .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Hmm didn't find oats particularly hard perhaps the hulls bind a bit. Corn now there's a home or bust job, I buy all my corn cracked now .
Got one of those old cast iron 1800s grister, use that for green malt.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

For 10.88$ a 50# I can get re-cleaned,steamed,rolled oats that look like oatmeal. 0 husks. Wonder how it would grind up.been thinking about trying it myself as that's how I was making my uj also.
As far as this post goes,keep it alive Butch . It's what got me going on ag.
Jbt
Last edited by jb-texshine on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thats a good deal on rolled oats. You can use that without grinding. The steam treatment got it soft enough once to flatten out and bust the kernal. If you put boiling water to it it will turn into a thick paste without any additional grinding. High temp enzymes will be your friend with that stuff. But barring that, letting it cook until it drops in temp to mashing temp, and using a paint stirrer on a good 1/2" or better drill will bust it up with some malt added at 152F or so. Seperating out the wash from the chaf will be your biggest challenge, it doesnt really settle out well. And squeezing through a bag is out of the question with oats. You might get 50% yield out of your mash, so just make twice as much as you need and dont worry about feeding the local fauna with the rest at that price.

Oats is nice, makes a great drop. Pretty smooth so consider that when making your cuts. A little late heads will add some fruit and teeth to an otherwise almost too buttery smooth drop.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

+1 Jimbo. Spot on in my experience.

Especially this:
Jimbo wrote: Oats is nice, makes a great drop. Pretty smooth so consider that when making your cuts. A little late heads will add some fruit and teeth to an otherwise almost too buttery smooth drop.
I had a recipe, Corn, Oats, and wheat ( called 3 Wheated Hefer, cause there was 3 types of wheat in it), but it was just too smooth. I am very adverse to heads, so to improve the recipe I toasted some of the oats, and added rye into the bill. REALLY added some depth and nuts to it. In honor of the nutty, deep 'ol friend we have here (and the acronym for the grain bill), CROW bourbon is born, and will make an appearance at butch's. Also, most likely will fill a barrel with it before then. Really taking a leap of faith, but from my previous grain bill and tasting what the white was, I think it will be spot on. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Corn oats and wheat (later days also barley) was the piggyback I did on my single malt oats, never made the connection to that acronym before. Crow whiskey that's cool as a cucumber with me :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Truckinbutch wrote:Then do 3 passes . Work with your mill and your drill to find a comfort zone . I still have my Grandfather's cast iron , hand cranked mill . Well over 100 years old .
Oh yes.. I will try 3 passes next time. I spilled about 1lb of oats on my first try as the drill kept binding up and taking my mill with it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

speedfreaksteve wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Then do 3 passes . Work with your mill and your drill to find a comfort zone . I still have my Grandfather's cast iron , hand cranked mill . Well over 100 years old .
Oh yes.. I will try 3 passes next time. I spilled about 1lb of oats on my first try as the drill kept binding up and taking my mill with it.
Exactly my point . If the drill heats or is difficult to hold you have the mill set too tight .
With help to feed the mill you can comfortably grind 25# of grain in 3 minutes . Double that time if you are doing it alone . Reconcile yourself to messes . You and your shop are going to get covered with grain dust and the floor is going to catch spillage that you will need to vaccume up , or not . I'm not great on housekeeping .
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

TB :wave: I'm a week of twelves away from cookin my first AG mash , just read through this thread, and am trying to figure out if 2#/gal vice 1.5#/gal is the only change to pinto's procedure that you guys have stuck with, or have you changed the cooking times and temps?
Any other changes I might of missed :?:
Any recommendations ? 8)
Double brutes 32 and 20gal to start,(already had them). New heaters and clear contractor bags in the mail
Also a big thanks for the info on bop from concorde, scored a 25gal triple bottom for same price :econfused: 5gals or triple bottom.... It was a toss up. final vote was I burn shit with my banjo burner before I get to it. safer than sorrier works this time :oops:
thanks a ton, all three of you, for your schoolin. been a fun read, hopin for a fun ride :D
Bronctoad
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bronctoad ,
Follow us and we will lead you astray :)
We been following MichiganCornHusker's protocol . We have been mashing in 50# of grains in 20 to 23 gallons of water with the help of enzymes and a constant stirring paddle mixer . That fits the limits of our pots to be able to stir fast enough to get airieation into the mash .
Once you have achieved the maximum conversion you can get you add enough water to get down to an ABV range that will make a good drop .
You will have difficulty mashing these high density mashes unless you use liquid enzymes and a paddle mixer on a speed control .
I can try to elaborate if I have left something out .
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

TB, :lol:
been turnin left at "Albakerky" my whole life (you young'uns aint gonna get that one) and am happy to follow ya'lls trail.
The questions I have now still involve protocol. I can,t find it again, but I thought I read that MCH didn,t cook his corn for as long as pinto,s version. so I,m still wondering about cook time at 190 with seb htl?, and your finish cook at 150ish with low temp amylaze :? ? One more thing did you guys stay with .36ml/# of enzyemes when you upped the grain bill or change the amounts?
Once again thanks a ton for the help up :thumbup:
bronctoad
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bronc ,
I deviated from Pint's protocol once and didn't get as good conversion as I had been . Went back to the long cook and mix times .
To simplify measurements of enzymes we determined that 4 teaspoons of each enzyme is sufficient for 50# of grain when added at the proper temperature .
My goal is to mash and ferment a mash that will rack off 12 gallons of clear liquid to fill my boiler . From there I start dipping and squeezing with a mop bucket and paint strainer bag . The strained liquid will settle in buckets and can be racked again if you choose .
I've done it both ways . Ran one yesterday that I racked clear only and ran .
This was a corn only grain bill . Cooked to Pint's protocol . 50# corn/23 gal of water for the cook and then added enough water to fill the mash barrel to the 29/30 gallon line .
The result was 12 gallons racked clear off the grain bed . Another 13 gallons of cloudy mash squeezed in the mop bucket . 2 days of settling yielded 9 1/2 gallons of clear racked from the cloudy buckets for the thumper .
That yielded 3 1/3 gallons of low wines run to 20% .
Again , if I missed a question or didn't explain it enough , just ask again .
We don't do it perfect but we will share what we do .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Some changes going on here . SRD is MIA due to work . :thumbup: GO GET THEM YANKEE DOLLARS WHEN THEY ARE OFFERED . We will see that you don't run out of whiskey .Quid Pro Quo . You covered me when I was down .
Coalminer is getting hammered with brutal hours as well . Just finished his second strip run on a UJ . He SO want's to get a spirit run done .
I got a few minutes work to get my mash paddle adapted to my new BOP tomorrow and start cooking a new grain bill .
This one is going to be 60% corn, 20% oats ,and 20% malted barley . Corn/oats cooked with the high temp enzyme and the barley added at 150 degrees with the low temp enzyme .
While that starts coming up to temp I'm going to start racking and squeezing the last all corn mash .
I love this hobby .
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

TB,
Nope, no more q's at this point. What your doing is just what I was hopping and planning on doing for my all corn AG break in :thumbup:
Now I just need work to spare me a couple days off in a row to get this moving :problem:
thank you again :!: for the trail. I'm itchin like a 10 year old that was hiddin in the ivy patch :mrgreen:
bronctoad
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

bronctoad wrote:TB,
Nope, no more q's at this point. What your doing is just what I was hopping and planning on doing for my all corn AG break in :thumbup:
Now I just need work to spare me a couple days off in a row to get this moving :problem:
thank you again :!: for the trail. I'm itchin like a 10 year old that was hiddin in the ivy patch :mrgreen:
bronctoad
LMAO :) Know how you feel . Oddly enough my son and a dumber friend smeared themselves with poison ivy leaves to get out of going to school when they were 10 .
It worked . Took his homework to him while he was in the hospital ............
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Everything I planned to do yesterday got pushed to today by a wedding planning trip by the FBI yesterday . Be alright . I'm honored that she would ask me to walk her down the isle .
We got no guarantee of tomorrow so if you can't use tomorrow then you don't need it .
SRD got by this evening for a brief visit . I was doing the first stage of mashing corn , oats , and malted barley in my new cook pot .
He's envious of my setup . I expect he will be making some changes in his still house soon .
Coalminer got his second strip run completed . Just trying to find time to do a spirit run .
Life is good .................
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

TB, I've enjoyed this thread immensely.
I taking time off from stillin because of work myself but having plenty of time to read sitting in a hotel.

I'm planning on a new thumper build, I'm just having a hard time locating the 2x1x1 tee for the thumper inlet so I'm on hold again :(
It's hard only being home 2 days on top of a wife, 3 year old and now a 6 week old lab pup.
If I've missed it I apologize but do you have pics of your thumper set up? I want to reduce from 2" to 1" with unions to be able to use as much or less of the rig without having soo many different parts.

I'm all about AG now after too many years "stuck" doing sugarhead, blaming no one but myself!

I have enough grains to do around 300 gallons of mash of HBB and I'm headed to get some more grains / wheat ,
Barley, 6 and 2 row, oats and some special grains to play with when I'm up and running. Hopefully will be sooner than later cause I'm having withdrawal from not.

Keep on posting, I've enjoyed your journey and hope to keep on seeing you improve and progress.

Shine0n
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Sorry , I don't have any pictures posted .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Finished the low temp stage of the COB AG today . Left it last evening at 190 degrees with just corn and oats in the mash . It had cooled to 120 by today . Started the mixer and the burner and added low temp enzyme and 10# of ground malted 6 row barley . Held it at 150 degrees for 1 1/2 hours and cut the fire . Left the mixer running at low speed to let it cool and spent a couple of hours visiting with SOH .
It was at 120 degrees when I got back to it . Dipped better than half of it into the water jacket fermenter and that dropped to 90 degrees real fast . Cranked the mixer to the point that it was aierating the remainder into a foam like a boar hog gnashing his tusches before he gets in a fight or gets to fuck . Temp dropped to 90 and I was getting tired so I figured , 'What the hell !'
Pitched a quartrer cup of Flieschman's yeast into the still mixing cooker and told them to sink or swim . They swam .
40 minutes later I was dippin the damnest yeast bomb I have ever made into the fermenter . I'll check in the morning to see how that turned out . It was going good when I left it .
I will suffer no embarrassment if I have to tell you tomorrow that I fucked up .