Bain Marie Rye - OK to distill on grain?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Bain Marie Rye - OK to distill on grain?

Post by amdamgraham »

Hi there, I know this subject has been covered but my searches (yes HD Google) seem to come up with regular pot still, not Bain Marie answers.
I have only been making AG straight corn up until now sometimes with 6 row for enzymes, other times with only HT Alpha and Beta. However, now I am (roughly) duplicating the Rittenhouse Rye recipe and I recall concerns about tannens from Rye husk. But does this apply to Bain Marie? I believe that I will have to strain off the solids in this case because the temperatures will still get very high, they just won't scorch. But I defer to the more educated here.

FYI on Recipe and steps if you are interested:
9lbs malted Rye
2lbs unmalted corn
1lb 6 row (was supposed to be barley but none available)
3/4 cup of fresh-ish yellow corn from the cob I was about to throw away because it got kind of ropey with age...
Dry Distillers Yeast
6.5 gallons of water

I ground the corn very fine and cooked that for over an hour hitting boiling at times but mostly hanging around 190/195F. I let it cool naturally down to 170F, added the HTL Alpha and pitched my remaining dry grains. This brought the temp in at about 155F, I let it cool down to the 145F range and added the Beta, wrapped it up and let it sit overnight. I pitched yeast the next day at about 95F

I got great starch conversion according to iodine test (yes I know it was over-kill on the natural and added enzymes) and things have been bubbling along fine for a few days. I stir it every day to oxygenate it. I totally forgot to take an O.G. reading - duh. But I'll get a good feel for the ABV depending on output.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Bain Marie Rye - OK to distill on grain?

Post by shadylane »

Sounds good :thumbup:
Except for the "stirring it every day to oxygenate it"
The yeast don't need anymore oxygen
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

+1 SL

Yeast + sugar + oxygen = More yeast

Yeast + sugar = Alcohol

We are basically wanting the latter to be taking place. A good dose of oxygen at the beginning to get the yeast breeding, then let it go anaerobic.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

On a side note
Since your lucky enough to have a Bain Marie
Yes, it's ok to distill rye/corn on the grain
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

There are plenty of neigh sayers that sprout negativity regarding distilling on the grain. Tannin carry over, yeast flavour etc.

Personally I ferment and distill on the grain and have never had any problems. I do it all in the single vessel, it's also a bain marie.

Good luck!

Ps you may want to add a defoaming agent to stop puking.
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Post by amdamgraham »

Thank you all for your input, very helpful and reassuring. I have decent head-room in my bain marie so I've never had a puking issue on straight corn but since this is new I will add some of the anti-foam I've got on hand. The wash smells really good right now. I'll leave it alone and I'm glad I don't have to strain out the grains!
Birzzz
Novice

Post by Birzzz »

Out of curiosity, any pics on your bain-marie setup?

Thanks,