apple wash

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

firefighterwhiskey
Novice

apple wash

Post by firefighterwhiskey »

Hello all!

I picked me up a 55 gal food grade barrel at auction a few weeks ago and my neighbor just came over and offered up her full apple tree to be used how i want. Sooooooo....im looking for an apple wash recipe to fill the barrel! Yes, Ive looked through the forums to find some but i cant seem to. Lots about barrels and lots of apple recipes for smaller batches but i cant seem to find anything as big as i want. Any and all help is completely appreciated!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: apple wash

Post by cranky »

Step 1) Grind or chop the apples.
Step 2) Press the apples
Step 3) Add yeast to fresh pressed apple juice/sweet cider
Step 4) Wait for cider to ferment
Step 5) distill cider
Works with any size or amount you can stand to process, I did more than 1,000 pounds last year.

Alternatively you could
Step 1) Grind or chop apples
Step 2) add just a little bit of water
Step #) Add yeast
Step 4) Wait for it to ferment
Step 5) Strain the pulp, or not if you can run it on the pulp or use steam.
Step 6) Distill

Apple brandy doesn't need a recipe or even need to be complicated, the real trick comes when making cuts because you have to figure out how to find the flavor when it won't decide to show itself for some time.
firefighterwhiskey
Novice

Post by firefighterwhiskey »

Hey Cranky! thanks for the reply!

So no sugar? Ive got no press so it'll be the second option for sure. any idea how much yeast to pitch if i fill it more or less full? and do i need campden tablets?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Do not use Campden tablets for anything you intend to distill unless you like sulfur stinkies in your drinkies.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

cranky wrote:Step 1) Grind or chop the apples.
Ain't that a fact :thumbup:
It takes work and/or ingenuity :lol:
I
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

shadylane wrote:
cranky wrote:Step 1) Grind or chop the apples.
Ain't that a fact :thumbup:
It takes work and/or ingenuity :lol:
I
Actually I think it takes money or ingenuity and a whole lot of work :crazy: It doesn't hurt to have a few crazy ideas either :wink:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

firefighterwhiskey wrote:Hey Cranky! thanks for the reply!

So no sugar? Ive got no press so it'll be the second option for sure. any idea how much yeast to pitch if i fill it more or less full? and do i need campden tablets?
No sugar, no compden, no boiling, no complications, just apples, yeast and time. As far as pressing, there are lots of ways to go about that, from ass presses or $10 Goodwill juicers, harbor freight presses, home made presses or even store bought presses there are lots of options. If you choose to ferment on the pulp you have to be aware the pulp will float to the top and you have to push it down a couple times a day to keep it wet and leave some head space because it seems to grow as things go. As far as yeast pitching, lots of people do yeast lots of different ways, I just pitch a packet of yeast for every 5 gallons and call it good. I recommend starting with 1118 for a first time fruit ferment.
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

I've done a couple apple ferments in the past and have a few questions.

I can't imagine pressing too much juice from my ground apples. I topped off my buckets of mash with water and yeast for 5 days and then pressed the softened mash to extract as much as possible and then finished in carboys. Does that sound like a good method or waste of time vs just pressing the crush outright?

Also, I added pectic enzyme to first part to help break down the apples, was that unnecessary? I've heard that PE can add to the methanol/heads, but I haven't done enough experimenting to see if true or how much.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

JohnsMyName wrote:I've done a couple apple ferments in the past and have a few questions.

I can't imagine pressing too much juice from my ground apples. I topped off my buckets of mash with water and yeast for 5 days and then pressed the softened mash to extract as much as possible and then finished in carboys. Does that sound like a good method or waste of time vs just pressing the crush outright?

Also, I added pectic enzyme to first part to help break down the apples, was that unnecessary? I've heard that PE can add to the methanol/heads, but I haven't done enough experimenting to see if true or how much.
Actually I often consider that method myself. Sometimes I will grind/chop then let it sit for a day or two before pressing. not for 5 days but maybe 3, I don't add water though. I don't think it will hurt anything. As far as pectic enzyme, I've read it adds methanol and read it reduce it, I can't say either way.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just read I think it's a hell of an idea, but use the top plate of the door jam!?!?! You may have to put some plastic down because of the squirting juice or just clean it up after (the perks of having hard wood floors) but damn if that ain't genius.

I have a small wood chipper from harbor freight I've modified to chop the apples and now I'm thinking of using the door jam to press.

I have the materials to build the chopper but I'm working out of town so haven't had time to fabricate anything, if things slow down I'll have the proper tools for next year's harvest.
Good luck,
Shine0n