S3/17 Truckorama

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: S3/17 Truckorama

Post by Bigbob »

Just got a hold of everybody.... for everybody not there, sounds like a GREAT TIME!!!! Wish I could have made it. Next year for sure!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I think MCH may have difficulty navigating a phone right now .
We been having one hell of a GOOD time here . Great turnout , great people , Fantastic food and drink .
A rare fine occasion .
Posting at the same time as Bigbob .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Guys, I was planning to attend but this damned hurricane has messed a lot of people up besides me! At least I have my priorities in order. My sugar and IStill Base 50 are as high as I can place them in my garage should it flood. Enjoy your party Truckingbutch. One day we will tangle around with eachother face to face and tell some lies like none these folks ever need to hear! Proud for you turnout. I am sure all that attended were proud to be there as well. I report in for Hurricane Irma monitoring tomorrow and damage asssessment on Tuesday. This one is not going to be sweeter to us than Matthew was! Cheers and good tidings + safe travels for all.
GA Flatwoods
Attachments
IStill out of flood's way.(2).jpg
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Old town here haven't made much of a footprint with you all yet but damn wish I was there!! Have a great time guys and maybe next year I can join you all..
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Man oh man , I sure wish I was there to keep an eye on all you fellers shinanigans. I bet there will be some dandy campfire stories and lies going on with all you folks in the same place, sure am sorry to be missing it. All you folks try to play nice OK! Hopefully the women folks will keep you somewhat in line! Probly not! Have fun !
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

IMG_2724.JPG
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:
IMG_2724.JPG
And there you have it in a nutshell . Wonderful time and no hangovers or black eyes .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Well, another one in the books. I had a great time as expected. Drank some amazing spirits, ate awesome food and, spent the week with some great people. Butch and Mrs. Jaye were, as always, exceptional hosts. Literally, unrivaled hospitality.

It was great to catch up with everybody since last year and to meet some new faces - Bayoushine is an awesome guy and his whiskeys/rums/cordials/GUMBO! were ridiculous. Loki brought some sweet UJ variants and the most neutral neutral I've ever tasted. As always, Randy, Rager, MCH, TB and, SCD delivered top notch drinks. The S3:16 feints run was great. I really feel like every year, we offer better and better product. The table of drinks and food could have easily fetched a $100+ a ticket if it were a tasting experience for whisky drinkers - and all we had to do was show up!

I dunno what else to say, I can't wait until next year - wherever it may be. Thanks to Truckin and Jaye. If everyone was cut from their cloth, we'd have a lot less problems and more awesome food and alcohol!
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Made it home safe and sound. Panikry summed it up far more eloquently than I am capable of. It was awesome to see everybody again, meet new friends, taste such a variety of exceptional spirits, and have such a relaxing time with such great people. Those who were unable to join this time were dearly missed.

I've found new motivation to keep improving what I do, and shall be making the leap to AG shortly.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbqPzRLPY0&sns=em" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Here's the video I was telling you guys about. Definitely how NOT to make gumbo!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

so how did last years left overs that got barrel aged turn out? any tasting notes on that batch? i'm most curious!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

HDNB , I'm going to stay quiet at this point . The same fellers that judged that all feints run last year that we put on oak had to drink their own mistakes when they sampled it this weekend .
I do have to applaud EVERY member of this Forum that attended . EVERY member jumped to the task at hand to promote harmony .
The knowledge presented at the sampling tables was an education that few could afford if they paid for it .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Just an aside to the party ; we drank a 'Missing Man/Lady' formation around my farm on a JD Gator for those that couldn't get here . BayouShine's Lady flew the colors for the missing Ladies .
Rest of us drank for the missing guys .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:Man oh man , I sure wish I was there to keep an eye on all you fellers shinanigans. I bet there will be some dandy campfire stories and lies going on with all you folks in the same place, sure am sorry to be missing it. All you folks try to play nice OK! Hopefully the women folks will keep you somewhat in line! Probly not! Have fun !
Rest assured , Dear Lady , we were well supervised . At one point I counted about 10 head of ladies gathered at the dining room table ready to correct one of us men if we said or did anything wrong .
"Yes , MAM ' was the appropriate response required from any of us .
We were well supervised by your surrogates .
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

BayouShine wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbqPzRLPY0&sns=em

Here's the video I was telling you guys about. Definitely how NOT to make gumbo!
Oh man... I can't stand those facebook-type cooking videos.

That gumbo you made was unreal. It pulled me out of my drunken stupor. I only wish I was sober enough to remember half of the steps on how to make it. All of your spirits were excellent as well, Bayou. It's easy to tell you are a man that pays particular attention to detail. I just shared a drop of your Cherry Bang with my grandfather, and he loved it. He's from Pittsburgh and his aunt used to make it back in the 1930's and 1940's. Nearly brought a tear to his eye, and we thank you for that!

HNDB, I'll have to report back to you on the oak-aged cuts from last year. It tasted great this weekend, but I was hammered. I brought a small jar home with me so I could do a sober analysis. I'll report back one that has been done.

I also have to compliment panikry... he rolled up like MCH this time, with 8 different spirits in tow. Both his and Loki's vodkas were great! And who would've known we would have 2 versions of the black walnut to compare? Obviously SCD has his craft well-honed at this point, and I truly appreciate the special gift bottles of Honey Bear we got to take home... it spared my ass when I had a full bottle of whiskey to hand my wife when I arrived home, since she didn't get to come this year.

Jed's magical elixir continues to get better and better since Jedfest, and it was a treat to enjoy it with all the amazing breakfast offerings he sent up. Those small deer logs are delicious! Not to mention the home-made butter (Jed, is there anything you can't make from scratch?!). I stole a healthy jar of one of Butch's newer white-dogs, which is great because the one from last year has been empty for quite a while. Butch, you are the undisputed king of white-dog, in my humble opinion.

On the way home rager asked me what my favorite bottle was on the table. That's a damn hard decision! The two bottles that stood out the most for me were rager's bourbon (mostly because he seems to shoot for a very similar profile as I do in a bourbon) and Bayou's Amaretto. I'm not saying these are the best... they just stood out the most for me. I could drink that whole damn bottle of Amaretto at once. What an amazing flavor!

MCH, I have a finger or two left of a bottle you gave me called "Yam", it's clear. Is that the same as the sweet potato, but in the white? I'm gonna have to man up and crank out some stuff before next year to even try to keep up with you guys.

Thank you so much Butch! The food... the drinks.... the camaraderie.... the farm tour... I could go on and on. You and the missus are wonderful hosts, and I'll make that 10 hour drive anytime to be in the company of such fine folks! Please tell the SOH I said thank you!

Cheers!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

On a side note, Flatwoods, you are in our prayers. I hope this storm goes easy on you!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm gonna have to take a few days Vaca next year for sure and bring some of the funky rum.

I really wish I could put faces with some of the fine folks here and taste some of the best likker around but as things have it my mortgage bill ain't Goin nowhere so I have to work when it's there.

Next year though... as long as I have an invitation, I'm there!!!

Glad to hear that so many drunk people can have such a good time without chaos erupting.

Good stuff TB and I look forward to meeting yall next year,
Shine0n
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Sure the heck was a good time, guys!
As already mentioned, that table sagged under the weight of top notch spirits. Everyone in attendance offered up excellent drink, proof that as a group we make better product than if we were all just wandering around in the woods solo.
Mr and Mrs Butch once again outdone themselves hosting this event. Wonderful eats, warm welcome, and a hot bonfire.
Having SCD there gave me the opportunity to taste his Honey Bear against my Honey Bear against his original 2016 Honey bear. The circle is complete, and the circle is delicious! And thank you for the Honey Bear Grenade, SCD!
Thank you to all who went out of their way to make the trip, was great see y'all again. It was a real pleasure to meet the BayouShiners this year, that Amaretto is no joke, absolutely amazing!

I think we can all pat ourselves on the back for the UJ feints run that we blended last year. It had picked up lots of goodness from the oak sticks, was a great color, and a very smooth sipper, way better than any UJ I made back in the day.

Hard to believe the weekend has come and gone again so fast. To those who couldn't make it this time, you were missed. Thank you, Bigbob, for calling in Saturday night, I'm told that I enjoyed talking to you, I'm sure I did.

Couldn't have had a better weekend, take care guys!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

RandyMarshCT wrote:.

Jed's magical elixir continues to get better and better since Jedfest, and it was a treat to enjoy it with all the amazing breakfast offerings he sent up. Those small deer logs are delicious! Not to mention the home-made butter (Jed, is there anything you can't make from scratch?!).

Cheers!
The sticks were mostly venison with a bit of pork. They be the family recipe.

The butter is from my own family milk cow

The sausage is my own recipe from home raised pigs. We ate their aunt at the last gathering here.

The dried venison was also cured n smoked by me

The little jug was the cuts blend from last gather here. Sat on 2nd use oak for 23 months.

Wish i was there to catch up with all but work is fixen to get balls to the wall.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Sure enjoyed my 'trip' to West Virginia this weekend. Will make it next year.....promise. Particularly enjoyed looking at MCH's ear as he tried to FaceTime, old people... got to love them!!! :thumbup: :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I almost forgot about that corn SCD brought!

First time I've ever eaten raw corn that tasted like it was cooked. Thanks for that, SCD! Was it really as great as I remember, or were we all just completely shitfaced? :lol:

Couple pics I took of the table and the mash.
Attachments
Mash TB 2017.jpg
2017 TB Table.jpg

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbqPzRLPY0&sns=em

I watched a master at work as BayouShine spent 3 hours meticulously crafting a gumbo that was to die for . Thank you for sharing such goodness with us .
Your spirits surpassed your cooking skills ; if that can be done .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thank all of you for making our party such a success . It was the high point of our year .
We've hosted two of these events and attended Jed's second one . I remain overwhelmed with the camaraderie , the knowledge shared , and the array of good spirits .
I also have to commend a group that can consume as much as we do and still conduct ourselves so well .
SOH said that this year's party was the last one here . She also said that last year . It wears her out as she does the backload of the cooking and hostessing as well . We'll
just have to see if she has a change of heart once she's rested up . (I might be able to guilt her a little bit after she goes to Alaska next summer . Is that evil of me to consider that ?)
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Whew! What a helluva ride!

The missus and I are just settling back in at home this evening. Excitement and adrenaline kept me gong for the full 18 hour drive up to Butch's. I can't say I had that same stamina for the ride back :yawn:

I do have to say that this will be a "must do" for me from here on out. Anyone reading this owes it to themselves to make one of these get-togethers and meet some of the outstanding people that make up HD. There's some things that just can't be conveyed in print and are much better suited to be experienced in person.

Butch, thanks again to you and Miss Jaye for being such wonderful hosts. Beautiful weather, stunning countryside views and incredible hospitality. You guys are truly blessed.

I don't know what moment stood out more for me. It was either SCD half-hammered (or maybe fully hammered) putting an ear of corn in my mouth, silk and all, while telling me "Try this!" or MCH attempting to hold a tent pole up straight while BigBob gave him an ear exam. Yep, we definitely had a good time!

By the end of the night, I was able to sample everything that was on the table. The S3:16 whiskey I though was cut exceptionally well for a whiskey made to drink neat. Only a slight touch of heads with a light body, but still good flavor. Definite :thumbup: from me.

I'm always interested in stuff that's "different". The sweet potato whiskey (MCH I believe), black walnut and SCD's Crow Mellow whiskey drew a good bit of my attention, so I had to sample those repeatedly to make sure I was right. :ebiggrin: I think yall are on to something there. I'm going to try to work that into my list of things to-do for when I'm ready to start running again.

Until next time guys! It was a pleasure meeting everyone and I look forward to making the next event!

And in case anyone was wondering, the Amaretto did not make the return trip! :ewink:
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

made it home safe guys, just wanted to check in. sippin on the same spirits from the weekend so im not much good at the typing thing at this point.

amazing weekend and ill check in tomorrow with stories for the liars bench.

cheers, and thank you butch, jaye, and everyone that made it again this year. its truely a weekend to remember... ( still putting the pieces back together) haha
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

yep if the meeting was anything like last years I fully understand your sentiment. I meant to say hello to everybody but my darn phone carked it after talking to a few. I was just finishing talking to MCH when I got the dreaded beep and silence :x . I'd encourage folks to attend these when the opportunity arises or take on hosting one, they are great weekends talking and drinking with like minded folks. Last year Suzie and I travelled to America for a bit over 7 weeks but the main reason/ catalyst for the trip was the meet up, worth it in spades. The whole trip was a defining life experience and the meeting at Butch's was a big part of that. We made friendships that make the world smaller and will last, at the meeting and throughout our travels. Glad you guys had as good a time again. I've since had the chance to attend a meeting on the other side of this country a couple of days drive up that was also fantastic.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine , I got tears in my eyes from laughing at your description of MCH's phone conversation with Bigbob . You got to come on over to 'The Liar's Bench' and make some contributions .
I'm not sayin your contribution was inaccurate . It's just that neither you or Bigbob let a good story go for lack of telling . Neither will the rest of the witnesses , I'm sure .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I got an idear . Forgive me , for I been about 4 fingers deep into that white dog AG MCH was doing so much bragging about . Anyhow , (I learned that segue from my friend Arkansas Tom ) with all our talents ; if we agreed to take over ALL kitchen bitch and house cleaning chores and make her QUEEN FOR A WEEKEND , she might allow all us to gather here again . That would include cooking our own breakfast and providing finger food snacks during the day .
It's worth considering if y'all like it so well here .
I'm volunteering to provide meat and grill it if nobody got sick this year .
Any y'all ever et a possum ?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Truckinbutch wrote: Any y'all ever et a possum ?
Damn that could make the dog sled trip to the airport worthwhile!

'specially if'n you could get one them road kill possums, i hear them are the tenderest.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

HDNB wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote: Any y'all ever et a possum ?
Damn that could make the dog sled trip to the airport worthwhile!

'specially if'n you could get one them road kill possums, i hear them are the tenderest.
They are if you just bruise them up a bit with a small car . Runnin them tri-axle coal buckets over them relegates them to breakfast jerky . They're too dry to make a decent cassarole out of .