Is my element OK ?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Is my element OK ?

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

Today was a big day for me finally my friend helped me to adjust the timing of my element controller now my element is working with 1 sec difference between cycles, which is good anyway at the same time today I made all the three cleaning runs to my new big 8 Gallon boiler, 2 weeks ago I purchased two new Camco Incoloy elements 02929 and last week I did my 3 Gallon Boiler cleaning cycles which was Ok, but this time when I finished my cleaning runs today and take out the element, there was small pittings on the surface of the element maybe this is not the exact correct wording but the element surface was definitely not smooth, I am sharing the pictures, I would appreciate if someone could comment on this, maybe this is a normal thing that should be experienced but as this is my first time with an internal element I do not know how this should be turn out, because previously I was using external heater. Is this ok ? or is there something that I should do ?

Thanks
Attachments
rsz_img_1848.jpg
rsz_img_1847.jpg
artooks
Trainee

Re: Is my element OK ?

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I gave it a good clean with vinegar only and all these white deposits came off, it is strange because I used drinking water I am trying to understand why it did this ?
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Looks like mineral deposits from here. Normal. It will get worse.

I used to worry about getting my element clean but it's just a big white/grey stick now.

SR
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thanks Shinerunner from what you are saying it will become almost not possible to keep it clean after some time I guess
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

I can get mine clean if I scrub it with oxiclean and a scrub pad, but I just don't think it's necessary. Up to you. If you're the type that scrubs your still down after every run, then you'll probably keep your element super clean too. I give mine a good rinse and call it good. To each their own..

SR
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

ShineRunner wrote:I can get mine clean if I scrub it with oxiclean and a scrub pad, but I just don't think it's necessary. Up to you. If you're the type that scrubs your still down after every run, then you'll probably keep your element super clean too. I give mine a good rinse and call it good. To each their own..

SR
i do the same. give it a good rinse and make sure i dont have anything major crusted on. then good to go.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Nothing to be alarmed about.
The reason why you see it so obviously is the dark color of your element.
Where I live we have hard water (a lot of limestone in it), so my shiny stainless element also looks like yours now and then.
It won't affect the product...just give it a cleaning now and then, so the coating won't build up in an excessive way.