boiler backset

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

baznkez
Novice

boiler backset

Post by baznkez »

Hi ,
I have just run a turbo yeast , the left over backset in boiler is a yellow slight brownish colour ???? , this happened once before it was black , i put it down to i had to braise some copper where outlet pipe had a tiny weep, i cleaned boiler condensor etc with citric acid on the copper and vinegar on the stainless saddles etc any ideas would be appreciated is it safe to drink or no ?

Baz :cry:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: boiler backset

Post by still_stirrin »

You want to drink backset? It doesn’t sound tasty to me.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

still_stirrin wrote:You want to drink backset? It doesn’t sound tasty to me.
ss
never tried to drink my backset. maybe i should start. :D no, it should be ok.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

The backset is very acidic and full of the things we are distilling to remove from our product. Why would you drink it. Cleans up dirty copper well so can't be good on body inners.

AC
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

LOL NO NO NO

OK maybe i need to rephrase this , a few weeks back i braised the outlet pipe on my condensor, i did a sacrificial run ,the boiler backset was black as like a molasses rum !!!! , i have just finished another still run the backset is a yellow/ browinsh colour ??? will the spirit be affected will the SPIRIT !!!!!! be safe to drink or is the column still dirty from braising on the inside have never seen dirty boiler backset until i have braised !!!! worried about final product not sure how to test it to make sure its safe to consume!

Baz
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

baznkez wrote:LOL NO NO NO

OK maybe i need to rephrase this , a few weeks back i braised the outlet pipe on my condensor, i did a sacrificial run ,the boiler backset was black as like a molasses rum !!!! , i have just finished another still run the backset is a yellow/ browinsh colour ??? will the spirit be affected will the SPIRIT !!!!!! be safe to drink or is the column still dirty from braising on the inside have never seen dirty boiler backset until i have braised !!!! worried about final product not sure how to test it to make sure its safe to consume!

Baz
If you're worried....do a complete cleaning cycle...steam, 50/50 vinegar/water, and a final sacrificial alcohol run. No sense in worrying....
ss
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

22835307_1531044590267263_96187537_n.jpg
22834467_1531044506933938_487305409_n.jpg
Yeah still maybe i might just do that , better to be safe then sorry , this is what it looks like , & in the boiler their is a film of i do not know what
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

As long as you have done both vinegar and alcohol cleaning runs the distillate should be fine to drink. The crap is in the boiler where it should be after a run.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

What is that nut made of?
Have you had the same experience without the fittings and such in the bottom?
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

HI , the nut is looks like chrome plated and the saddles in the boiler are stainless and copper , today i did another cleaning run both vinegar and a cheap wine for a spirit run the left overs in boiler look like a tea colour without the milk LOL !!! its starting to annoy me i got no clue what it is
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

resty.jpg
rust.jpg
hi jb-texshine

Pulled to saddles out column it got the better of me , found a rust residue inside column ? no idea y
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Rust, or stinky fusels?
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

no smell its rust but where from does solder or flux cause rust?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

What are the pieces in your boiler? I see copper, but what about the other pieces? You may think they're stainless steel, but if they're rusting, they most probably are not stainless. But they definitely look like they're rusting. And I would NOT drink the distillate that comes off of the still, especially if it's that colored stuff that's in the measuring cup.

And speaking of that measuring cup....it isn't glass, is it? If not...don't collect high proof alcohol in it.

Going on...your column has a plastic insert on top too, doesn't it? Is the plastic exposed to hot alcohol vapors? If so, you need to change it. Again, plastics and rubbers are definitely a "no no" if exposed to high proof alcohols. They'll leach into your spirit and ruin it for you.

But the yellow/amber distillate looks like rust to me. Find the source of the rust and eliminate it. Then, you'll see your distillate clear up.
ss
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

baznkez wrote:no smell its rust but where from does solder or flux cause rust?
Solder flux is an acid. It will cause metals to corrode, especially if left in contact with the metal. The acid will cause oxidation and moisture can act as a catalyst as well. Heat also accelerates the corrosion process.

The solder doesn't "cause" corrosion, but if the metals are not compatible, that is, dielectrically opposed, the solder or the base metal may start to corrode. If you use the correct solder, then this type of corrosion shouldn't occur.

But, if you didn't properly clean the flux off of the metal/joints, residual flux could start some corrosion. So, you've got to thoroughly clean...especially before you start to collect drinkable spirits.
ss
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I'd be pulling all that boil saddle crap out first off . It's certainly not essential and an easy thing to elliminate .
IIRC way back when I did turbos the stillage was certainly a darker colour than the wash that went in ..... but what you are showing looks a whole lot worse .
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

111111111.jpg
Hi ,

Cheers guys i found the cause of the problem , i pullet the column totally down and took cooling coil out & condensor etc , what i did find was the nut on the boiler lid that connects to the column is rusting , i put it down to poor chrome plating , so i am assuming on reflux it is dripping the crap back into the boiler , as the wife drinks the nuetrals & i do mollases rum with the alembic i really didnt pick up on it until today , so once again i have cleaned all the copper etc & refitted the coil back to the column so i shall wait a few days then re run a spirit clean then a wash to see how we go.
Once again i appreciate all the input

Cheers Baz
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Swap out all plated for stainless steel and your great I bet.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!