Sous vide corn?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sous vide corn?

Post by bluc »

Wondering if anyone has tried to gelatinize corn using sous vide cooking method.(boiling a sealed plastic bag full of food).
Was thinking if i set up a rims style heater sealed the corn along with 1.5x weight/l water in vacuum bags, then let sit all night at contstant temp in a temp controlled water bath? Would make a very convienent way to handle the corn, could do 5gens corn in one go then on mash day just add it to the mash along with the malted grain to convert it.. be like flaked or pre gelatinized corn..thoughts?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sous vide corn?

Post by still_stirrin »

Corn is very thirsty. It’s going to take a lot of water. And the bag will end up like jello. But, give it a try and report back whacha’ learned.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Most enzymatic processes have an optimal temperature range for activity and the enzymes themselves have temperature extremes beyond which these proteins are denatured - usually irreversibly. Enzymatic reactions outside the ideal temp ranges nonetheless can proceed although more slowly as long as the extremes aren't exceeded. We are all familiar with amylase losing effect above 155 degrees unless of the hi-temp variety.

Sous vide is a cooking technique which usually consists of long periods of surprisingly low temps (not boiling). The chemistry of sous vide is simply based on holding food at a modestly elevated temp so that natural enzyme and protein processes of cooking proceed at a manageable rate without risk of over-cooking.

This idea of cooking corn with sous vide is intriguing but would only make sense if gelatinization of corn (usually requiring mash temps of at least 180 degrees for an hour or two) could be accomplished albeit more slowly at a lower temp - perhaps even at temps where ordinary amylase is still effective. Simply putting the corn in a bag and 'boiling' it wouldn't really be considered a sous vide technique.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Yes i aint thinking of enzymes or starch conversion just gelatinization.. i have seen videos of making creamed corn this way and got me thinkin..
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

A worthwhile experiment, I believe. Do you have the materials to do a starch test?
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I use a 1100 watt hot plate, stock pot and temperature controller for sous vide cooking. I've cooked a 5 lb prime rib in a 2 gallon zip lock bag that turned out great.

I've used the same set up with two stock pots ( 22 quart & 16 quart) to cook corn in a double boiler arrangement. I'm limited to about 8 lbs of corn because of the size of the inner pot. I put a small stainless bowl ( with holes) in the bottom to hold the inner pot off the bottom of the outer pot.

I boil water on the stove in the 16 quart pot, add corn, then place the 16 quart pot inside the 22 quart pot. While I'm heating the water on the stove I set the controller for the water jacket at 205 F.

I've got a 2nd temperature probe with an alarm that I place in the center of the corn. I set the alarm at 190 F. When the alarm went off, about 3.5 hours, I reset the jacket temperature to 180 F and added more high temp enzyme and stirred for awhile.

I was thinking about skipping step of boiling water on the stove, and just set it up and let go overnight.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I quite like this idea - please do give it a go and report back ! 8)
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Been a while I have a rims tube ordered and am ordering stuff to make a brew controller this week. Hopefully have rims tube end march. Also going to experiment with leaving the corn sealed in the bag out of the fridge and see how long it lasts. Be handy to do 2-3 lots corn at a time and not hve to keep in the fridge. Would have to have a lot of faith in the bag seal maybe a double or tripple seal would be in order..