Guinness keg

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

johnarms
Novice

Guinness keg

Post by johnarms »

I just bought a Guinness keg from a scrap dealer for 40.00. No real dents etc, nice. didnt see much online about valve/spear removal, I'm sure most people here would know this, but it may eventually help someone. :)
Attachments
1-IMG_20150224_112357.jpg
relieved preasure with screw driver
relieved preasure with screw driver
used flat head to tap counter clockwise
used flat head to tap counter clockwise
alternated sides
alternated sides
unscrew
unscrew
pull out
pull out
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Guinness keg

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Nice keg, that flange is wide with no notches in it, I like it.
There are also kegs out there that have threaded spears that also have a safety catch that you need to deal with even once you get the thing unthreaded...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

If you lay it on its side when you release the pressure you don't need the towel :-)
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Nice keg for 40 bucks, good deal :thumbup:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
johnarms
Novice

Post by johnarms »

he has at least five more. shipping to iceland may be a wee problem though.... :D
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Save the spear and make a Product Condenser from it...save the spear...save the spear...save the spear...save the spear...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
dj12inches
Novice

Post by dj12inches »

Thanks for posting this!

I just got a Guinness keg today from somebody for $50. Your instructions were helpful for removing the spear.

How are you going to attach the column to that super thick flange?
johnarms
Novice

Post by johnarms »

welding a 3" short flange to it, and a 4" access port with a cover ferule to the side on the top.
johnarms
Novice

Post by johnarms »

going to the welder soon. 4" fill port, 3" column attachement, 2" sight glass, 1" drain valve, and 1" stainless nut for element. any suggestions as to placement? tig and argon right? I've seen the collar removed before, like the look, but like the utility of the handles wonder if its possible to cut away between the handles and "roll" the stainless back on itself like the rim? Any input will be appreciated.
Attachments
1-IMG_20150324_223422.jpg
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

You could flip it upside down and use the existing keg flange for a drain port. I have a drain port on the lowest part of the keg I could place it, it still needs to be tilted to empty completely. So you can't do it with the column on it. It would need legs or casters to stand it up enough. I assume the 4" fill port is for keg access, cause you don't need a hole that big to get liquids in there.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thats a damn fine idea Humbledore.. Weld some legs on teh top and flip it. Then put the 3" and 4" on top (bottom). Id add a 2" on top also for thermo or future agitator or whatever too.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
dj12inches
Novice

Post by dj12inches »

Hey....looking good so far!

How well does that 3" Triclamp fit on the flange? I was wondering if it might be possible to clamp a 3" column with ferrule to the flange. From what I understand, the flange is a bit smaller than 3", so I was thinking of wrapping it with a few feet of copper tape and hammering that down until the clamp holds tight with a gasket.

How are you going to cut the holes? Bi-metal hole saw?
johnarms
Novice

Post by johnarms »

I'm going to have a welder friend take care of the cutting and welding, the existing ferule is too thick imo and am going to weld on a short neck 3" ferule to the fat one, the fit is quite good between the two. 4" fill port is for access and cleaning as well as filling.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 on the upside down idea, Humbledore..
Well, if i had to make a boiler out of this...i would attach some wheels to the rim, were the handles are. :idea:
Three of them .. 120 degree angle around and it would be stabilized.
Could be some of those wheels you can lock, when you set up your equipment.
If you plan on using a tall column, it will be prone to tilting. You might want to make a triangular frame instead and gain stability.
When cutting a hole for the triclamps, you probably would do it with a plasmacutter.
Now..fill some water at the bottom of the keg before cutting and swirl it around in there, it will prevent slag from the cutting to burn into the surface.
As you got a welder to do some work, i am sure he would prefer TIG.
If backinggas is applied, it gives a nice surface on the inside without the usual black crap.
Just a few thoughts..
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

DAD300 wrote:Save the spear and make a Product Condenser from it...save the spear...save the spear...save the spear...save the spear...
Dad, I am so glad you said this! I kept mine (working on boiler now) and I've been staring at it wondering if I should throw it away. Do you have any pictures of a condenser made using a spear? I'd love to see one.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Dima
Novice

Post by Dima »

Hello!
Did you get it all finished ?
Can you share some pictures?
I am in preparing stage of turning keg into boiler and any ideas help :)
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just take look around a bit as there are many many pics of kegs being converted.
In off topic forum is a thread = show a pic of you still, something like that and is pics of many stills made from kegs.
This is an older thread so getting a response might be difficult from the OP but crazier things have happened.

What are you trying to accomplish?