Need some help from anyone who knows guys!!!!

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jollyrogertexas
Novice

Need some help from anyone who knows guys!!!!

Post by Jollyrogertexas »

I’m bored have made tons of corn over years.
I have 65 pounds of coconut shaved type and about 100 pounds of pineapple in cans?
Anyone ever went this route?
I’m at a loss to be honest if it doesn’t have grain in it always said I’d throw it away and go get some?
Lol wife says coconut pineapple anything sounds good and throw it in see what it does ,just I don’t know really about that stuff.
I have done some fruity stuff watermelons peaches etc but coconut and pineapple is there such a thing at all? Lol thanks for any help fellas it’s greatly appreciated.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Need some help from anyone who knows guys!!!!

Post by sltm1 »

Actually, you could do a grain wash, then run it through the boiler and a thumper using the coconut and pineapple as flavoring (in the thumper)....best of both worlds.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

When you do a coconut-pineapple it does exist from that moment on. You are the inventor, your place could be the ground-zero. I am not good in tastes, but why don't you trust your wife?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Add coconut, pineapple and rum to glass. Attack lazily with the muddling stick. Add ice, and a squeeze of lime. Stir. Betcha the wife would likey. If she don't, add a teaspoon of demerara sugar to step 1.

I know its not what you meant, but its what popped into my head.
NEGaxSEGa
Novice

Post by NEGaxSEGa »

He's got 65lbs of coconut and 100lbs of pineapple. If he likes this concoction, he could mix it up by the barrell-full.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear coconut and pineapple is rum. I'd put down a molasses wash, strip it, then add the coconut and pineapple in the thumper for a spirit run. Just my $0.02, keep the change
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

hellbilly007 wrote:The first thing that comes to mind when I hear coconut and pineapple is rum. I'd put down a molasses wash, strip it, then add the coconut and pineapple in the thumper for a spirit run. Just my $0.02, keep the change
I'm in accord with this - perhaps do a strip run and put some low wines diluted to say 30% plus a decent wadge of pineapple and coconut in the thumper - save the pineapple "Syrup" for the next fermentation ? - But I'd run the original wash in the boiler, not "low wines".
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Do a rum strip and dilute to 30%, Make sure to do enough for a good spirit run!!!

Macerate pineapple in one for a 2 week period and coconut in one for the same and do a spirit run with both in a thumper without fluids. (steam stripping) maybe just maybe you'd have something with the best of both worlds :thumbup:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I know guys, several guys even.
So what kind of help do you need with them?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

BTW, this is good:
https://www.plantationrum.com/plantation-pineapple/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/08/dini ... fancy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Might try something similar, though I don't know the best place for the coconut in that scheme, and the lack of rind would have an effect for sure.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

zapata wrote:BTW, this is good:
https://www.plantationrum.com/plantation-pineapple/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/08/dini ... fancy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Might try something similar, though I don't know the best place for the coconut in that scheme, and the lack of rind would have an effect for sure.
nytimes wrote:“They notice it when you mention it, which is what I like about it,” he said. “It’s not super on-the-nose.”
So, they go to all that trouble and there still isn't enough pineapple flavor for you to pick up on it until someone points it out, or you have read the label. :D
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Wonder if it(pineapple) would come through better using a gin basket...
Sorry,random though.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Chris, yeah, that seems like a silly quote taken out of context. Specifically they were talking about in a daquari where with all the sugar and fruit it isnt as surprising.
But have you tried it? Neat? It is pretty good, and the fact it doesnt clobber you over the head is apparently intentional. It tastes like rum, not pineapple candy flavored rum or fruit liquor.
The rum’s appeal to bartenders (apart from a rich history, which is catnip to mixologists) is its subtlety. It is a rum with pineapple notes, rather than a pineapple-y rum.
Personally I think plantation's standard rum is a great value buy at $18. The pineapple version not so much at $30, BUT I think it is as good as many other $30 rums I just don't buy at that pricepoint often except for research purposes. I've seen at least one other review on this site which I seem to recall was favorable as well.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

No, I haven't tasted it.

From what I've heard, it seems that pineapple is difficult to capture in a bottle, I've only tried it in gin and couldn't taste it. I'm about to do an essence experiment in a mini gin still.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I double distill my rum so if it were me I'd try single running the rum, take just the hearts and macerate with the pineapple and coconut and then run it again making no cuts. I think that would carry over alot of of the flavour.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

I'm working on a pineapple rum right now, should be finished fermenting this weekend. I didnt use anywhere near 100 pounds of pineapple,
but did mix up my usual rum batch then tossed in the rinds and core of one fruit for each 10gal. after the ferment was about 80% finished.
I think the acid in the fruit was a bit much for the yeast as it stopped working right away, but after a few days I tossed in a few oyster shells and it got right going again.
Planning on doing the spirit run with some meat from the fruit in there, then add a few pieces in after the run to soak for day. I use an Alembic still.

Will keep you posted on my results, should be finished running by this time next week.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Folks, I think this has the making of a really interesting thread. Can some one report please after carrying out an actual trial. Thanks in advance.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've got pineapple in a bottle, but it took 700g of pineapple peels and cores steeping in 800ml of 40% neutral for a week, distilled 400ml with no discards. It wasn't that pleasant when hot off the still, so I'm letting it rest a while before I sample it again. I suspect it would have been much better with a sun ripened pineapple rather than the green picked crap we get in NZ supermarkets.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

NZChris wrote:I've got pineapple.......... I suspect it would have been much better with a sun ripened pineapple rather than the green picked crap we get in NZ supermarkets.
NZChris - thanks for the giggle. Don't know why but I was in fits after reading the last line. Even thought we never met I imagine a man's face with utter disgust as to the shite available in the shops nationwide.
Cheer up dude, it's not all that bad.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Ha ha. I've spent a bit of time in the tropics, so I know what a great pineapple tastes like. My next attempt will be from the pineapples I'm growing myself. I have no idea how long that's going to take because they grow pretty slow here.