Another RUM thread

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Another RUM thread

Post by frunobulax »

Yesterday we started our winter project. Fill a 30 gallon barrel with rum!
We bought 12, 5 gallon pails of golden barrel blackstrap molasses. The first wash is 10 gallons of molasses and enough water to bring it to 42 ish gallons at 1.084.
Instead of doing single runs through a couple plates, like whiskey, we're gonna strip, strip, strip.... then do pot still spirit runs. We'll experiment a little with backset ect.
Once the barrel is full, it's going in my buddys garage for at least a year. We also have an electric 1 bbl brewery which making rum washes super ez.
There is 3 of us in on this, and what I'm gonna do with 10 gallons of rum is beyond me, but it'll be fun.

Here's a couple pics.
Attachments
Empty barrel
Empty barrel
Barrel.jpg (18.08 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
Aerating wash
Aerating wash
Wash.jpg (17.25 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
Open pail
Open pail
Bucket.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
Pails of molasses
Pails of molasses
Buckets.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Another RUM thread

Post by still_stirrin »

Gosh, that’s a lot of molly!

Bet you’ll be ready for a beer when you’re done.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Is this going to be 100% molasses Rum ? No added sugar ? If so :thumbup:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Nice. Looking forward to hearing how this goes. What yeast are you planning to use?
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Is this going to be 100% molasses Rum ? No added sugar ? If so :thumbup:
Yes 100% molasses. We have 60 gallons, and based on previous runs, it should be more than enough.Buying bulk and picking it up, it's only $5.50 a gallon out the door.
The 1st wash is just bakers yeast. My buddy wants to experiment with saison yeast for extra funk and possibly champagne yeasts (and probably anything else we can get our hands on)
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I recommend lallemand rm yeast if you can get it.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

frunobulax wrote:Buying bulk and picking it up, it's only $5.50 a gallon out the door.
Here I pay $3.70 au a gallon, if I buy 200 liters or 52 gal at a time I can get it for 50c a liter....less than $2 a gallon.
frunobulax wrote:The first wash is 10 gallons of molasses and enough water to bring it to 42 ish gallons
Seems your fermenting a similar ratio of molasses to water as I do, My recipe is 12.6 gal to 47 gal water, It should ferment out well if kept warm enough. :thumbup:
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Lallemand RM yeast is great, I use it myself. I think your estimates are off by about a factor of 2, but I could be proven wrong. What are the specs on your molasses, i.e. what is the percentage that is still fermentable sugar?
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
frunobulax wrote:Buying bulk and picking it up, it's only $5.50 a gallon out the door.
Here I pay $3.70 au a gallon, if I buy 200 liters or 52 gal at a time I can get it for 50c a liter....less than $2 a gallon.
I'm jealous. Cheapest molasses I've been able to find in my 3 yrs of looking is $14 a gallon

Edited because it's my 666th post :twisted:
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

DeepSouth wrote:I think your estimates are off by about a factor of 2, but I could be proven wrong.
Are you referring to the estimate of molly to rum? What would you expect to yield per gallon molly?

Btw just saw golden barrel has a 15% black friday sale going on...
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

frunobulax wrote:Yes 100% molasses. We have 60 gallons, and based on previous runs, it should be more than enough.
You must get more bang for your buck with that molasses, no way Id get 30 gal of end product from 60gal of molasses.
After some very rough calculations and a lot of swapping back n forth between gals and Litres I come up with about the same result as DeepSouth, you will need double that amount of molasses or more unless your molasses has a super high sugar content.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Last run I had 30 liters molly made up to 100 liters . Adding feints from last as I usually do I ended up with 9 liters @92% abv after cuts
Thats about 12.7 litres at 65% abv .

BTW frunobulax , hope it all goes well , you won't regret going all molasses :thumbup:
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

DeepSouth wrote:Lallemand RM yeast is great, I use it myself. I think your estimates are off by about a factor of 2, but I could be proven wrong. What are the specs on your molasses, i.e. what is the percentage that is still fermentable sugar?
Ugh, I hope you're wrong. If I remember correctly, The last time we ran 2 pails of molasses we ended up with about 3 gallons at 55% but it was single runs through 2 plates.
We figured the sugar content to be around 50 lbs. per 2 buckets, so we have a total of 300 lbs.
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

frunobulax wrote:
DeepSouth wrote:Lallemand RM yeast is great, I use it myself. I think your estimates are off by about a factor of 2, but I could be proven wrong. What are the specs on your molasses, i.e. what is the percentage that is still fermentable sugar?
Ugh, I hope you're wrong. If I remember correctly, The last time we ran 2 pails of molasses we ended up with about 3 gallons at 55% but it was single runs through 2 plates.
We figured the sugar content to be around 50 lbs. per 2 buckets, so we have a total of 300 lbs.
Yes, exactly. You said you ran 2 buckets of molasses and ended up with 3 gallons of barrel strength rum. If you only have 12 buckets of molasses, by your own estimates you'll only end up with about 18 gallons of barrel strength rum.

300 lbs of total fermentable sugar will only create about 20 gallons of 200 Proof alcohol. With fermentation and distillation losses and inefficiencies, and factoring in cuts, my estimate was you'd only yield about 20 gallons of rum for a barrel with 12 buckets of molasses.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Ahh I see my mistake. I'll hope for the best, and worst case...We'll buy more. lol
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Going by the nutritional info on the golden barrel site (10g sugar per tablespoon) that would be 56.438 pounds sugar per 2 buckets. I have no clue that what counts as a sugar calorie for human gobernments regulating labels is the same thing as what a yeast cell can eat, but it's probably pretty close.
For whatever it is worth, their baking mollasses has exactly 50% more sugar for only 27% more $. I doubt the taste between blackstrap and baking is identical, but clearly baking should give a cheaper rum yield than blackstrap if you start pinching pennies toward the end of this project.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

zapata wrote:Going by the nutritional info on the golden barrel site (10g sugar per tablespoon) that would be 56.438 pounds sugar per 2 buckets. I have no clue that what counts as a sugar calorie for human gobernments regulating labels is the same thing as what a yeast cell can eat, but it's probably pretty close.
For whatever it is worth, their baking mollasses has exactly 50% more sugar for only 27% more $. I doubt the taste between blackstrap and baking is identical, but clearly baking should give a cheaper rum yield than blackstrap if you start pinching pennies toward the end of this project.
That's just how I figured sugar content, by looking at the sugar per serving and multiplying. I never thought to look at and compare the sugar content between blackstrap and the baking. :oops:
Last edited by frunobulax on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

I live close to the outlet store for Golden Barrel and have used both the bakers and blackstrap,
I can't really say i have noticed such a difference but do tend to grab the blackstrap as I like fuller, funkier taste in my rums.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I looked that yeast up, and it sounds interesting, but I couldn't find anywhere to buy it. Any ideas?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

You pretty much have to buy RM from lallemand. I think I read somewhere that it crosses to another yeast which might be easier to get. Might be able to find someone who will sell you a 500g if you want that much.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Stillcrazymike
Novice

Post by Stillcrazymike »

How much does a 500g pack cost?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

$30 if I remember my dose correctly that should do over 200 gallons of wash.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

bluefish_dist wrote:I recommend lallemand rm yeast if you can get it.
I bought a brick from them and used a bunch with my last runs.

I’ve got a jar of it in the fridge if you need some.
Stillcrazymike
Novice

Post by Stillcrazymike »

This wash actually started closer to 1.090 after cooling a sample down to 60. First time we ever ran run we pulled around 4 to 4-1/2 gallons off cut to 50%. Our cuts could have been stricter the first time but using 2 plates really cleaned it up and we wanted to blend in some of the "rummier " things back in. We will see how this goes really looking forward to it.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

^^^^^^^
Mike is my partner in crime!
Stillcrazymike
Novice

Post by Stillcrazymike »

Just did the first strip run out of 6. discarded the first quart collected the next 9 gallons. we will be doing this for the next 2 runs before doing a spirit run. started at 2pm with transferring and applying heat and finished up at 730. was able to keep it steady at 6500 watts of power which was nice. We will see after 2 more strips and a spirit if we will be able to fill a 25 gallon barrel with 55% or not.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Stillcrazymike wrote:Just did the first strip run out of 6. discarded the first quart collected the next 9 gallons. we will be doing this for the next 2 runs before doing a spirit run. started at 2pm with transferring and applying heat and finished up at 730. was able to keep it steady at 6500 watts of power which was nice. We will see after 2 more strips and a spirit if we will be able to fill a 25 gallon barrel with 55% or not.
What's your expectation for the aging time?
I found that a year with a 15 gallon barrel was tolerable, more time generally = better product.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Stillcrazymike
Novice

Post by Stillcrazymike »

Shooting for minimum 1 year
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

We have a 500 gram brick of the Lallemand RM yeast yeast coming. I don't think it's quite enough, so we're gonna alternate between fresh pitch's and slurry.
Can't wait to try that yeast.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Does this yeast create a special type of ester or is there something else special?
I do a lot of rum and have used bread yeast but also have played with temps after fermentation to create esters and only butter is the prominent one unless dunder is introduced to the low wines then I have a buttery rum with hints of pineapple.

I'm open to try new things, just curious of what you'll find and go from there.

Shine0n