Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by still_stirrin »

Welcome back Odin. Glad to have you here.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Wiz of Oz
Bootlegger

Post by Wiz of Oz »

Good to hear from Odin!
All new distillers please read Crankys Spoon Feeding
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Welcome Odin, nice to see you are back.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

Glad business is going well for you Odin!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

jimsgins wrote:Glad business is going well for you Odin!
Ditto, Odin. Was wondering about your absence.
Your return has prompted my ordering the Juniper & Coriander to make your gin.

I also have to tell you, Odin, how much my friends and I enjoy your Cornflake Whiskey.
I get more compliments on that stuff than you'd believe.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Still Life wrote:
jimsgins wrote:Glad business is going well for you Odin!
Ditto, Odin. Was wondering about your absence.
Your return has prompted my ordering the Juniper & Coriander to make your gin.

I also have to tell you, Odin, how much my friends and I enjoy your Cornflake Whiskey.
I get more compliments on that stuff than you'd believe.
Glad to hear that!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Odin I wish you a fast recovery, just did 2 new batches of your gin I must say I am in love with the smell :)
Attachments
689B814F-C9D7-4981-AACC-1E905F9C7F4B.jpeg
FCF71973-8E73-48EC-9922-F54AB9866456.jpeg
45D6CEB8-B93A-451A-B294-9B2DE41E750E.jpeg
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

artooks wrote:...just did 2 new batches of your gin I must say I am in love with the smell :)
I agree. Just mixed the neutral, peel, coriander, and juniper to let sit for 2 weeks.
Already smells like a top shelf gin.
Odin, you've done it again. Waiting is so tough....
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

All I can find are dried juniper berries are they ok? How Much should I use?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Canuckwoods wrote:All I can find are dried juniper berries are they ok? How Much should I use?
Yes you can just did it with dried Juniper berries smashed them a little bit and they smell ok I am giving a whirl every day
Next week I will be distilling them.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Canuckwoods wrote:All I can find are dried juniper berries are they ok? How Much should I use?
Found a pretty good price on Amazon for regular juniper berries: https://www.amazon.com/Juniper-Berries- ... B0012BUL96
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Price is in the right ballpark, but shipping to Canada is usually a non starter.

I buy my botanical from a Canadian company TradeTechnocrats. Juniper is going for $13.99/lb CAD. https://trade-technocrats-ltd.myshopify ... 3904532102

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ExpatLad wrote:Price is in the right ballpark, but shipping to Canada is usually a non starter.
I buy my botanical from a Canadian company TradeTechnocrats. Juniper is going for $13.99/lb CAD. https://trade-technocrats-ltd.myshopify ... 3904532102
I was afraid there'd be excessive shipping to Canada thru Amazon. Now I know.
I scaled 3 liters of this easy gin and it's sitting for 2 weeks in the basement. The fresh berries seem a much better route than having to use dried.
Hopefully Canuckwoods sees YOUR source, then.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Gin D-Day. Distillation (and dilution) are complete and the 5 week development rest is underway.
Very, very pleased with the taste and aroma. Can't imagine it gets better. Odin, you're a genius.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

fizzix wrote:Gin D-Day. Distillation (and dilution) are complete and the 5 week development rest is underway.
Very, very pleased with the taste and aroma. Can't imagine it gets better. Odin, you're a genius.
I'll quote you on that!

Just did.

:)

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I am also waiting for the 5 week development rest seems a long way, :) it is maybe it is better not to macerate for 2 weeks and instead doing herbs in the boiler to save 2 weeks time :))
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't wait five minutes. Just make enough that you don't run out before five weeks is up.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi NZChris to be honest I already started drinking it :) and it is awesome, what I wonder is the tangerine is a little bit strong at the beginning I guess it mellows with time
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

artooks wrote:Hi NZChris to be honest I already started drinking it :) and it is awesome, what I wonder is the tangerine is a little bit strong at the beginning I guess it mellows with time
Adjust your recipe each time and it will evolve into something very special to you.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

hope folks would find this interesting
its different gin recipes
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/guides/sti ... botanicals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Looks like a polished up rip from the parent HD site.

Odin.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

Indeed. They've added a couple of brands not on the parent site, but other than that, its pretty much the same. Useful chart though, whatever its origins.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

The Odin's Gin is barely 1 week through its 5 week rest...
It's the hit of the party so far tonight. And it's not a group that compliments a turd either (although some did say I look nice this evening .... ???)
Tonic water is the favorite mixer.

Not giving out my reserves of Honey Bear though. I want non-distillers to appreciate that next year after it's beautifully oaked.

Merry Christmas.
Loosely
Novice

Post by Loosely »

Hi all - happy 2018.

Other than the year ticking over, another significant milestone was reached today - I distilled my 10th batch of gin:
Batch10.png
I started using Odin's basic recipe round about batch 3, a few years ago now. My version has got more complicated as time has passed - batch 10 has something like 17 botanicals, up from my 'standard' 10 or so - but under the hood it's still based on Odin's Easy Gin, and I send him telepathic thanks every time I make another batch.

But just in case the telepathy isn't working - Odin: thanks for everything you've done for us beginners. The recipe as you wrote it works fine, but it's easy to play with it by adding things to suit one's mood and taste. People I've shared mine with - some of them even know what they're talking about - have been very complimentary, so that's another lot of indirect thanks for you.

Have a safe and happy year, everybody.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks for the kudo's. The gin recipe was designed to be simple and a start for you guys to play with. I think it helped put gin on the HD map, since at that time nobody had an interest. Glad if it helps members now make (better) gins.

Loosely, those bottles look lovely. If you want me to try, ship one over to the Netherlands and I am sure I will enjoy it.

Happy New Year!

Regards, Odin.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

For anyone struggling to find top quality herbs, spices, botanicals, check out Mountain Rose Herbs https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow They're my sole source for my gin flavorings (except fresh fruit peels of course). I promise I don't work for them, they really do provide the most fresh, flavorful products.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
RoystonVasey
Novice

Post by RoystonVasey »

I'm going to be doing my first batch tomorrow, very exciting. The smells off the maceration is amazing & judging off all your comments, I can't wait.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

RoystonVasey wrote:I'm going to be doing my first batch tomorrow, very exciting. The smells off the maceration is amazing & judging off all your comments, I can't wait.
Based upon independent study this improves your likability and personality and humor by 67% :lol: ..Enjoy, RoystonVasey!
RoystonVasey
Novice

Post by RoystonVasey »

It came out brilliant, I’m looking forward to making another batch and adding a few extras in myself. I was slightly disappointed with it’s appearance as it came out cloudy after I’d diluted it - but hey ho smelt good and tasted good after first attempt so I’m chuffed. I’ve read other users comments about this happening so I’m hoping to combat this next time round.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Cloudy is a compliment. It means more tasty oils than your alcoholic drinks solvency power when diluted. Remedy? Add a bit more vodka of the same percentage to beef-up total solvency power.

Odin.