How many of you are alcoholics?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How many of you are alcoholics?

Post by raketemensch »

Lots of alcoholics on both sides of my family, there was never a single drop of beer or wine at any family gatherings my whole life. My dad basically disappeared when I was 12 — fell into the bottle and didn’t turn up for 20 years.

I had issues with it when I got to college, mainly because I had never been introduced to it or taught anything about it.

I won’t be making that same mistake with my kids.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Drug and alcohol abuse is prevalent in my family on moms side, I have addictive tendencies for sure. Been through a bout of drug addiction but I've never gotten real deep into booze. I like to get into my cups now and then with my best buddy but usually I just have a nightcap to mellow my busy mind before bed. Shit, sometimes I'll pour up a glass of spirit or do a g&t and only get halfway through it before I doze off. I drink nightly but I don't get hammered, just a little buzz preferably on my own product naturally.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Grew up in an abusive household, and all of us 5 boys dealt with it through alcohol (and other things). Today, 4 of us are moderate drinkers of varying levels, youngest brother is a tried and true (15 years now) AA non-drinker. I have been blessed/lucky in keeping my addictive tendencies largely in check.

Of note: My 2 older kids graduated as athletes from prominent D1 schools, and despite every opportunity to join their thirstier teammates, are far too busy with life to let alcohol be more than an occasional great time. Third kid doesn't drink.

Whew!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Sheeeet, when I was still under 12, my favorite Saturday morning breakfast (before cartoons came on) was , cold pizza and room temp beer and wine left over from my folks Friday night mixed couples poker games. I taught myself !!! LOL
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Bikes n Booze
Novice

Post by Bikes n Booze »

Im work 12 hour shifts. Dayshift and Nightshift. 4-5 oz of 80 proof before bed at 06:00 AM is the perfect night (day) cap to keep me asleep while everyone else is awake.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Well I drink every day and not ashamed to admit it. The first step is admitting it right? Im just pissed it's been so damn cold I can't get any stilling done out in the barn.
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

does drinking 1 liter of vodka per week mean im alcoholic???
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cdd wrote:does drinking 1 liter of vodka per week mean im alcoholic???
400 ml/7 days = 57 ml alcohol/day.
Only half an alcoholic.
Scorpster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Scorpster »

That’s just over 3 shots per day. Above the recommended 2 per day health wise. But wiki alcoholism to get a better definition as it is more it’s effects on you and those around you rather than just quantities. And FYI I am probably between 2-3 per day. There is some “evidence” that some drinking is actually life extending. 60 Minutes did a segment called “living to 90 and beyond”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Being an alcoholic will end ya days nothing surer but temperance won't save it. My maternal Great Grandfather didn't smoke and rarely drank I'm told and lived to the ripe old age of 59, his daddy smoked a pipe and loved a drink. At 96 he was killed by a stripper (wheat stripper that is), Grandma didn't mind a drink and she passed away last year aged 100
Dads Dad told me years ago "If you don't smoke, don't drink and don't chase a fast woman ya won't live longer but it sure as hell will feel like it". I think its all about moderation and the tricky bit is that is different for each person.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

cdd wrote:does drinking 1 liter of vodka per week mean im alcoholic???
When I was a youth - 7-8 pints (beer) a night 7 days a week with perhaps double at the weekends was pretty normal.

Now the "social pressure groups" and "Health freaks" have got involved, if you smoke, eat meat, live with an actual FEMALE woman, or run a car - you're some sort of antisocial monster. They've closed the pubs and shut down face to face communication, put up Spy cameras on every street corner, check up on your phone calls and texts, intercept your e-mails and monitor what websites you visit - Hell - It's enough to drive a lad to drink - but apparently more than a teaspoon full a year and you're an alcoholic !

You gotta give up a perfectly healthy diet and fill yourself up on carbs and high fructose corn syrup and you're wonderful !

THEY'RE GETTING FURTHER AND FURTHER AWAY FROM REALITY.

If you like a drink - have one ! If not - what the hell you doin' here ?

:D
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Pikey wrote:If you like a drink - have one ! If not - what the hell you doin' here ? :D
Knockin' one down in your honor, Pikey!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

fizzix wrote:
Pikey wrote:If you like a drink - have one ! If not - what the hell you doin' here ? :D
Knockin' one down in your honor, Pikey!
I've just poured another and came back to find your post - Whisky with a splash of coke and lemonade here fizzix - cheers mate :thumbup:
FuelMaker
Swill Maker

Post by FuelMaker »

If you have to drink to keep from feeling bad, then you're an alcoholic.

Best definition I've ever came across.
"A little bit of oops goes a long way."
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

thecroweater wrote: Dads Dad told me years ago "If you don't smoke, don't drink and don't chase a fast woman ya won't live longer but it sure as hell will feel like it"..
Being a programmer, I have a line of code that describes my philosophy "Quality of life = (Time on earth * fun );"
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Don't know if this is the right place to post this new found joke.

An Irishman walks into a bar in Dublin, orders three pints of Guinness and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finished all three, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.

The bartender says to him, ‘You know, a pint goes flat after I draw it; it would taste better if you bought one at a time.’ The Irishman replies, ‘Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in America, the other in Australia, and I’m here in Dublin. When we all left home, we promised that we’d drink this way to remember the days we all drank together.

‘The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there. The Irishman becomes a regular in the bar and always drinks the same way: he orders three pints and drinks the three pints by taking drinks from each of them in turn.

One day, he comes in and orders two pints. All the other regulars in the bar notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, ‘I don’t want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your great loss.’

The Irishman looks confused for a moment, then a lights dawns in his eye and he laughs. ‘Oh, no, ‘ he says, ‘Everyone is fine. I’ve just quit drinking!
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

thecroweater wrote:I think its all about moderation and the tricky bit is that is different for each person.
You have it right :)
My grand parents were all smoking lightly and drinking a few shots of wine everyday but they were eating way less sugar than the generations today, and they passed away peacefully at well over 90 !
I quit smoking a few years back and I do not feel better.
I guess stress is going to kill me not cigs !
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

I think that habitual drunkenness isn't always a bad thing, or at least, it doesn't have to be. My work ethic dictates me not to drink on the job; among other things, I want to give my best to, not my employer, not my job, but to myself. I think self destructive tendencies are what makes habitual drinking a problem...

Alcohol dependence, iv'e never experienced a physical need to drink, or even seen it; nor am I sure of it's method of action in the body. I don't know, I have not done the research. In everyone I have ever seen with an alcohol problem It's been a self destructive mentality that led them to the place that they are. And, fortunately, positive thinking was enough of a shock to the system that they could pull themselves out of it.

I think all that really needs to be said here is that if you don't hurt others, carry on. being a broad statement, that is sometimes hard to get ones head around just how deeply penetrating it is. You've got to really sit down and do some serious introspection to figure it out IMO.

Everyone is in a different spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical place.
Mario84
Novice

Post by Mario84 »

I go in and out of periods. Lately I've finished a fifth of bourbon every 4 days, and that's not counting the vodka cocktails, martinis and gin drinks in between...
But then there's been months without a drop before that. I'm very random with it. It's all in good spirits though!
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

I'll drink to that!!!
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Don't know if I am or not... but I'm going to try my best this weekend!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Personally it's something I am on guard about.
Too much of it in my family to not be concerned.
If I can't go a week dry without craving then I think I have a problem, so once in a while I spend a dry week just to be sure.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I thought I had a problem with drink, then I realised the only problem was I was not making enough of it.
Don't be a dick
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Swedish Pride wrote:I thought I had a problem with drink, then I realised the only problem was I was not making enough of it.

:thumbup:
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

I plead the fifth
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Fiddleford wrote:I plead the fifth
I'm pretty sure as long as you are not pleading 2 fifths, you're fine.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

I've not had a drink since my last one.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Well then we need to pour a couple and catch up ;)

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————